What was it about Windows Phone??

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I know everyone is talking about Windows Phone 8.1 for developers, and rightfully so. There is so many things to excited about, from the transparent tiles that makes the already impressive start screen that much more dynamic, to the action center, to the battery, data, and wifi sense, to Internet Explorer 11, with its new features, and queen...Cortana. However what I would like to know is what was it about Windows Phone that got your interested and ultimately commited in the firs place?

For me it was back in 2011. I remember seeing a commericial for it, which was rare, and then saw somone on a plane I was on with it. I had an HTC Evo at the time and was simply enamored with the capabilities of a smart phone since I'd never had one before. Andriod always seemed too overwhelming for me. I'd have the main screen which had facebook and messaging and phone dialing, but then I'd have the Google search bar and another icon just sitting on another screen. It seemed cumbersome. I just remember looking at the guy on the planes screen and thinking how amazing it looked and simplistic. Being with Verizon I could only get the HTC Trophy, which I enjoyed. Good ol' WP7. The social networking integration was amazing. There were apps like instagram and voxer that were popular then that WP just didn't have, but it never daunted me to feel the need to abandon the fluid like OS. Instance came out, followed by 6tag, both amazing third party apps. Voxer came around and looking back I'm so glad I stuck with WP. The way I look at it is with apps, it's only a matter of time, with OS it's not just about today, but tomorrow and the next day, and for me WP has always been an amazing OS.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
For me, I never liked the iOS interface, the one button for all mechanism always make me feel entrapped and limited. I would've gone with Android, but then every Android phone I tried felt like a different world, so I decided to take some time and find the best version that suits me. Along comes Microsoft, their Surface announcement got my attention (like "oh hey MS is being cool again"), then I saw WP8 coming; I loved Nokia's phone design, and the low-light camera thing won me over in an instant. The final push was when I tried the L920 the first day it came out in the US, the whole thing was just so, INTUITIVE! Buttons exist at where I expect them to, menu comes up when I want them, everything from window to window just made sense (maybe because I'm soooo used to the Windows mindset from years of heavy usage?) So right there and then I decided to choose WP over the other two and never been happier.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
the live tiles, the colorful Lumias, the fact that it's running Microsoft, and the fact that only a smart percentage has it ;) I like standing out.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Nokia definitely was a match made in heaven for WP. I remember when I opened my NL920. I was so amazed by the design, the clear black display and of course the pureview and image stabilization which even on the 920 beats out most other phones from other ecosystems. I finally put my 920 to rest and am using a 1520 and the experience is even better. I agree about the live tiles. It's the signature feature for WP and what separates it from the other OS's. It's the easiest selling point for my friends when they ask about it.

Rajat Malhotra

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
The interface got my attention....very different very minimalistic very neat....then the fluidity of the OS....and the fact that Nokia made it...since I was on a budget....i got my hands on a l520 the first day it ws available locally...and never looked back...and the fact that WP8.1 runs butter smooth on such a cheap device (only in terms of cost mind it) just makes me love it even more...

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, my first smart phone was a Samsung Omni 2 running WM 6.5. That had everything one could do on XP in a mobile platform. I'm not saying it was good though. Tried to pack too much into too small of a screen. I liked that it was a Pocket PC, and not just a phone. I could easily talk to my PC with it. And it was also easy to access Office files for editing.

Then I considered an HTC My Touch because of the form factor and I would have inadvertently gone Android if Verizon hadn't needed to charge me so high of a deposit. Thank goodness for that!!!

I went with T-Mo and got myself an HTC Radar on WP7.5. I loved that little thing with its aluminum body. Was a TANK!! Felt like a beer can in my hand, and I RARELY dropped it!! Then it happened one day when it hit an asphalt pebble, just right, after the strip club.... Bang, BAM, BOOM. Spider Webs!!!

This happened about the time that WP8 came out, and I talked T-Mo into giving me a new device for the same down as I would have paid Ensurion for the deductible on a refurb Radar.. Ever since then, I've had a Windows Phone 8X by HTC.. I love the Beats audio, the wide angle FFC, the slimness, and I'm running the most recent version on WP8.1, thanks to the Dev Preview. LOVE IT!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99