Will WP support HD Voice (VoLTE)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm fairly sure it has since WP 7.5 "Mango" introduced LTE to begin with, it's just been up to the carriers to enable it. Not entirely sure, but I think that most (if not all) devices that support LTE, also support VoLTE/HD Voice.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I had this previously with HTC Titan, so I guess it had supported it since Mango. But most of the technical stuff happens on the carrier side of things.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Pretty much every carrier means a different thing by "HD Voice" than what AT&T announced today, so what the Titan did, or what phones support the AMR-WB codec are irrelevant to this. The OP is talking about the AT&T specific one announced today using VoLTE (Voice over LTE). It basically makes all calls work similar to Skype calls on supported devices. As far as I know, no current WP devices support the hardware requirements for VoLTE.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
^^^ Agreed. Total confusion up there. HD voice is not VoLTE. What AT&T did (and Verizon is in the process doing it as well) is route voice calls through LTE data network instead of traditional 3G GSM voice channel. This way, the phone can be operated in a single LTE radio all the time. Today, whenever you receive a call, the phone has to drop LTE connection and fall back to HSPA mode. On Verizon, it has to maintain two radios: voice and SMS on CDMA and data on LTE.

The fact that AT&T also dubbed it HD Voice is irrelevant. You can do VoLTE with regular voice instead of HD voice and you can do HD voice on traditional network. HD voice is all about how much bandwidth is allocated for voice calls.

It will require new phone radio hardware (chips that support VoLTE) and radio firmware. OS side is probably the easiest to support.

It is quite clear that none of the existing phones will be able to support this new feature on AT&T. By the time we all pick new phones that support VoLTE, I'm pretty sure whatever WP version we will be running will support that feature already.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Leave it to the American market to screw up naming conventions again. 3G networks rebranded as 4G, VoLTE renamed to an already existing technology...

Also, "select areas in Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Wisconsin"? Could they be more selective? I'm wondering if they're having problems with handoff. Normally, large cities are first to get new technology rollouts. Unless they picked the major cities in those states, I would guess they picked more rural areas because they're still working on how it hands off cell towers, or because it creates extra loan on cell-towers that they're not able to launch in major markets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos