Notification Center Tile?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this was a good 6 months before the release, so the feature has gone through a lot of changes, the loss of this is one of those changes.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Seriously?! Why would that be taken out! :angry:
At the very minimum, a way to dock the notification center would be ideal.

That really sucks.

anon(5718954)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You can reach the notification center from everywhere by swiping down. How would we derive a benefit from another tile you'd have to pin to your start screen? Can you elaborate, please?

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Since there's no LED on my phone, if I'm away from it when I receive an alert, and there isn't room for the app on the lockscreen, I won't know I received anything. Presently, I have all of these apps on my startscreen for their live tiles - it'd be nice to get rid of some of them (like Facebook messenger, which I only use when someone messages me. The times I click on it myself, are extremely rare.. but it's on the start screen so I know when I receive a message).

A notification tile would omit the extra effort of having to swipe down to check for alerts.

anon(5718954)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
A notification tile would omit the extra effort of having to swipe down to check for alerts.
You don't have to do that as there is a nice little icon in the status bar that's dedicated to the notification center. So you don't have to swipe down to check for notifications all the time.

If you're a Nokia user, you can't see that on your glance screen until now, but I bet Nokia is already working on this.

spizzlee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Power button to unlock, swipe up lockscreen, check tile. vs Power button to unlock, pull down from top to see notifications.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. >.>

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
The notification centre of windows phone is far better than android. You can customize what comes in your notification bar. Just swipe down from top.
Also for settings related to notification centre go to settings>notifications+action

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
If you're a Nokia user, you can't see that on you glance screen until now, but I bet Nokia is already working on this.
My phone is Nokia.

spizzlee, are you seriously arguing that there shouldn't be an optional feature to enable a live tile for this??
Insanity.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
The notification centre of windows phone is far better than android. You can customize what comes in your notification bar. Just swipe down from top.
Partly true. There's only a limited number of features you can have there (wifi, etc)

Notification disabling of apps/disabling of toast for text messages was a much needed change, though.

anon(5718954)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
spizzlee, are you seriously arguing that there shouldn't be an optional feature to enable a live tile for this??
Insanity.
No sir, I'm arguing that your statement ist wrong. You do not have to swipe down to check for notifications. And therefore I don't see the benefit of an additional live tile at all.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be additional functionality. Choice is always a good thing. But someone has to implement these features, and then you have to assess whether it improves the overall user experience or not.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't see the benefit of having OneDrive or Podcast apps on my phone, either; but that didn't stop Microsoft from adding them. :wink:

spizzlee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
My phone is Nokia.

Insanity.

I may not see your view on this, but in my eyes it sounds just plain useless. When you can swipe down at ANY time to see if you have notifications, why would you ever need a live tile for it? Even glancing at drop down menu is faster than going to see the live tile.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Like I stated prior, there's a lot of things in 8.1 I see as useless, that others deem useful (OneDrive a shining example) - but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be an OPTION.

spizzlee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Like I stated prior, there's a lot of things in 8.1 I see as useless, that others deem useful (OneDrive a shining example) - but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be an OPTION.

Hmm idk. You can probably make a more compelling argument about OneDrive than having a tile for Notifications.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Whatever dude, you wouldn't find it useful, but I would.

I don't see the point in arguing about personal preferences!

spizzlee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I know, i'm not really arguing about it. More like trying to understand the need or want of it.

You want it to take longer to do something. My guess is that Microsoft knew how pointless a notifications tile would be when you can already pull down and see what's there. In the world of pointless tiles, a notifications one takes the cake. Or so it seems :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb