Set up new WP device without mobile data?

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
A family member has bought their first smartphone - a Lumia 520. (Who wouldv'e thought, right?)

She doesn't have a data plan, and plans on only using the WiFi at home when she needs it, otherwise it's just gonna be a phone.

Can someone confirm if it possible to set up the phone with only the WiFi connection, rather than a mobile data connection?

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yup just turn it off, easy. The problem is, however, is whether the carrier you choose will let you set it up without data.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yup just turn it off, easy. The problem is, however, is whether the carrier you choose will let you set it up without data.

Well, it's a SIM-free phone, and she just has a pay-as-you-go SIM card on O2 UK. I can't see any issues with it. We'll see if it works like that.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If the L520 has the WP8 GDR3 Update, it can be set up with just Wi-Fi. This was baked in. Just add/create a Live/MS account and follow along. I've done this with my 8Xs before.

If she has a SIM from a feature phone that she can just swap out, shouldn't be too.much of an issue in regards to the carrier, as long as the SIM isn't directly tied to the IMEI. Again, just turn off Mobile Data and you should be good.

8). Tell her congrats and welcome to the club

Dr Love PhD

Banned
Jan 7, 2014
Visit site

No, jjust pay as you go. Insist on this and your data plan will be removed. I have been doing this for years. Just got 1520 same day as release and no problem. Att tried to add plan, called them, said I want pay as you go, no more plan, just pay for phone service. You must insist though. They will say the charges are high if you use data, I have not used a kb in years. Just turn off cellular data.

Dr Love PhD

Banned
Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
A family member has bought their first smartphone - a Lumia 520. (Who wouldv'e thought, right?)

She doesn't have a data plan, and plans on only using the WiFi at home when she needs it, otherwise it's just gonna be a phone.

Can someone confirm if it possible to set up the phone with only the WiFi connection, rather than a mobile data connection?

Thanks!
If she still wants to text, use Viber or another Wi-Fi style chat app (even free phone calls) with other friends who have same app, Viber, etc. Works great, all free and over Wi-Fi.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If she still wants to text, use Viber or another Wi-Fi style chat app (even free phone calls) with other friends who have same app, Viber, etc. Works great, all free and over Wi-Fi.
Yep that's the plan. Most of the family have WP devices, so it'll work smoothly I'm sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster