My Lumia 521 will not charge via USB from my Alpine auto radio

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded my Lumia 521 to the WP 8.1 Developers Preview, and subsequently (last week, purchase an Alpine CD/USB/BT receiver for my car. All is well with the Bluetooth connectivity, but when I plugged my phone into the receiver in order to charge it (which the salesman told me should be possible), I got back an "Error 004" message on the display screen, and the phone did not show as charging. I went it to my local Best Buy and brought along a USB cable, and tried it on a couple of different manufacturer's receivers, and got back "Device Error".

I did not have the receiver prior to my upgrading to 8.1, so I can't say that this was working prior to my upgrade. I also tried plugging it into my FIOS set top box, and nothing happened. It seems that the only way I can charge via a USB connection is when the power source is a computer.

Has anyone else has this experience? Can anyone say that this does work in WP 8.0?

This might be a problem involving upgrading the O/S in the phone, but not the firmware. I am going to post this in a Nokia forum as well, to see if can get a response there.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried looking into the user manual to see if it supports charging a phone? I'm highly skeptical that it would personally. Most USB functionality would be for playback and not for power. I'm taking a stab but I would say the USB power is not high enough. The error probably represents a mismatch in functionality as WP doesn't support playback via USB, yet.

Aad Advocaat

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Still a USB stick needs also the 5volts to operate, but i think the amp?re is too low to charge,
To bad but oke it seems that connection to a iphone does work also for some extra?s with apps

Somehow the WP phone will be a underdog :unhappy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05