It looks like MS changed the edit photo function for cropping and resizing. Apparently, the app now overwrites the original photos. I learned this the hard way today, and thought that it had the same 8.0 behavior. Nope. After I pressed save, there was no going back to the full-resolution photo. I really liked the old WP8.0 where the changes are made on another copy, and the original copy is NEVER touched. This made more logical sense to me because I like to play around with various editing, and once it's good, I manually delete the original picture. Here, it's no going back.

Most of the changes so far from MS have been puzzling and downright stupid.
    05-18-2014 04:30 PM
    It looks like MS changed the edit photo function for cropping and resizing. Apparently, the app now overwrites the original photos. I learned this the hard way today, and thought that it had the same 8.0 behavior. Nope. After I pressed save, there was no going back to the full-resolution photo. I really liked the old WP8.0 where the changes are made on another copy, and the original copy is NEVER touched. This made more logical sense to me because I like to play around with various editing, and once it's good, I manually delete the original picture. Here, it's no going back.

The changes are always on another copy as long as you are not using Nokia creative studio !

NCS overwrites the original image
    05-18-2014 07:44 PM
    Nokia creative studio does NOT overwrite the original, the default cropping tool in the photos hub did that in 8.0. It doesn't do that in 8.1
    05-18-2014 07:52 PM
    Correct... Creative Studio keeps the original. The edit picture is save in the same folder as the original... Its the "Crop, Rotate, Auto-fix" app that over-rides the orginal
    05-18-2014 08:19 PM
    i thought the built in cropping tool in the pictures hub had always overwrites the original picture.. 8.0 or 8.1? so I have always avoided using that. is that not true?
    05-18-2014 09:32 PM
    i thought the built in cropping tool in the pictures hub had always overwrites the original picture.. 8.0 or 8.1? so I have always avoided using that. is that not true?
    In 8.1, after cropping, the original image is still retained. Crop it again and you'll see.
    05-19-2014 12:37 AM
    In 8.1, after cropping, the original image is still retained. Crop it again and you'll see.
    but after saving the crop, the original pic is gone. I thought this was always the case in 8.0 / 8.1
    05-20-2014 05:41 AM
    but after saving the crop, the original pic is gone. I thought this was always the case in 8.0 / 8.1
    I don't have 8.1, but that is certainly the case with 8.0.
    05-20-2014 05:51 AM
    Using the built in editor the original picture is overwritten. I have just tried this on my HTC 8S WP8.1.
    05-20-2014 08:29 AM
    Using the built in editor the original picture is overwritten. I have just tried this on my HTC 8S WP8.1.
    EDIT: Just saw that it still does overwrite
    Sorry for the wrong info!
    Last edited by Sagar Limaye; 05-20-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    05-20-2014 01:46 PM
    This kind of sucks. Its hard to compare, because the original photo disappears, but I want to say that the cropped photo saves a lower quality than the original photo, which is why I hate cropping and saving on my wp. I normally use a photo editor on my lap top. Does this happen inside the Lumia photo apps as well, or just the default camera app?
    05-20-2014 04:27 PM
    The default cropping tool will always overwrite, regardless of which app was used to take the photo. It's best to crop photos using Nokia creative studio or some other photo editing app. Reframing and cropping inside the Nokia camera app will not overwrite the photo, and you can always reset the changes, without having to make copies
    peacefulberry likes this.
    05-21-2014 03:33 AM
    The Crop rotate and fix loads the 5mp pic from cameras. You need Nokia Creative Studio to crop from the 41mp pics
    peacefulberry likes this.
    05-22-2014 10:39 AM
    I am super annoyed about this, I was just playing around with a photo I really love, cropped it, hit save thinking that it'll make a copy either in the camera roll or saved pictures... And it's ruined!

Of course, the copy uploaded to Onedrive isn't full resolution and I've tried to recover the original file from my SD card via numerous programs and nothing!

Arrrrggggh, this is so simple, so, so simple, and yet because of a silly over-sight by Microsoft I've now lost the original of a picture I really wanted to keep. :(
    08-31-2014 11:55 PM

If your camera shoots in raw as well then raw is your backup. If not then you will have to make a copy to edit on.
    09-01-2014 12:31 AM