A week back with Android - an Windows 8.1 User's Experience

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Having given up my Nokia 920 to return to an Android Nexus 5 phone, I now realise the greatness of the windows phone experience.

Those live tiles and the ability to simply pin anything to the start screen for easy use, I used to use the start screen as a post it noted board of notes, games, events, people, places and more, its quick responsive and completely fluid in its way of organising yourself that no other operating system seems to get right, in my opinion.

I miss the people area, so easy quick and simple to get around and finding out updates, with android I tried copious amounts of widgets to try and replicate it, but nothing quite fits the purpose and they all felt ever so clunky and dull, the main apps like Facebook, twitter are pretty much the same but nothing on android pulls them together like the people hub.

Navigation, OK Google maps is incorporated into the Nexus launcher quite nicely, but when it comes to offline navigation, as of which i have need a few times last week, I tried to find some decent ones on the play store, yes there are a few that do the job and google own navigation is great while its connected to the internet, but the nokia drive i found fast, much cleaner to read while driving and easy to use, and I've come very used to using the quick what's around you lens on the nokia, ok Google has this but its just not quite so well implemented in my opinion.

I use the Xbox music radio and nokia radio lots and have built up a huge array of favourite artists, wow did i miss this on the Android, OK i can use my tunein and sky radio apps, but the convenience of the Windows online radio i prefer.

The sound out put from the nokia through headphones is phenomenal compared, so much louder and clearer

The gaming apps on the Nexus are fantastic, but to be honest I thought id use them on it, but when you have a Note 8 android tablet as well, i found i preferred playing them on this anyway, I would suggest that Microsoft/Nokia or whoever kicks zynga up the doodars and gets them to develop more for WP8.1

The camera on the Nokia completely trounces the Nexus camera, the nexus cam might as well be a christmas cracker toy the difference is quite honestly staggering, even my wife remarked on the lovely shots taken with the nokia and she is an avid SLR professional snapper.

So today I shall be returning to Windows phone with a shiny Nokia 925

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Heh, I saw your post in the other thread saying you were abandoning Windows Phone and getting your Nexus 5 - that was quick!

Despite the app/game downside, Windows Phone is just a much nicer experience and does what needs to be done fast and efficiently. I tried out Android on a Moto G a few months ago and didn't warm to it.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I used an Xperia Z2 for a weekend a couple of weeks ago and although it is a lovely phone I am glad I sold my Xperia Z1 and moved to windows phone.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back to reality! :wink:

The Nexus 5 is really a vanilla experience when it comes to Android. It's just stock Android without all the bells and whistles that Samsung or HTC offer. Maybe it would have been a different experience using a GS5 or HTC One M8.

With that being said, I absolutely agree that there is no experience out there like the Nokia/WP8.1 experience. WP is great for the non-techy, "I just want a phone that works" majority and I added Nokia to that because I really think Nokia and their products made the experience that much better compared to HTC or Samsung.

I think once people truly give WP a chance and see how fluid and gratifying the experience is, then WP is really going to explode. Until sales people get their heads out of their arses and start pushing WP, things are not going to change much in terms of market share and the app gap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos