8.1 update no problem thread

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I see many threads outlining issues with 8.1 and the update, if there are issues its absolutely essential the issues are posted and discussed but I just wanted to give a bit of space to users who have found very few issues since the 8.1 update

Personal experience since 8.1 update on a Uk O2 Lumia red 720
No major problems to report ... battery life with data left on 24/7 back to normal as before 8.1
I have had 1 hang/freeze when using viber and that's it... apart from it being dog slow to load but that is the app not the phone, its a crap app
WiFi connections solid
Bluetooth solid
On a personal level I have found 8.1 and the following update to be very good

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So you like to see no one post to a thread you started? LoL... I have been virtually trouble free. A couple hiccups, like today when I hit messenger for Facebook, the screen got giant size and then I did a soft reset. It returned to normal, but a lot of my tiles was grayed out. It came back after I hit yes when it asked to fix the sd card. So I transferred FB Messenger back to the phone. I did that the last time it happened to a different app. I guess some apps are not set up correctly to run on the sd card...

Amit Nitin

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I am using nokia 525 updated to wp 8.1 preview. after updating i recieved all the system updates for my phone like extras+info, touch, network+ etc setting updates. few days back my bro wanted to use wp8.1 experience for few days so i did reset my phone from settings>about. But after reset windows apps rolled back to as they were at out of the box and im not getting ny update notification also. can u please recommend me a way to update my settings???? im not even getting notification to update my already installed apps that need an update ready in the store. please help. i need my settings updated

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any problems post 8.1 or 8.1 update. My battery life was very reasonable pre 8.1 and post 8.1. Loving this update and it made me like my phone even more. Just waiting patiently for the 930.

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am using nokia 525 updated to wp 8.1 preview. after updating i recieved all the system updates for my phone like extras+info, touch, network+ etc setting updates. few days back my bro wanted to use wp8.1 experience for few days so i did reset my phone from settings>about. But after reset windows apps rolled back to as they were at out of the box and im not getting ny update notification also. can u please recommend me a way to update my settings???? im not even getting notification to update my already installed apps that need an update ready in the store. please help. i need my settings updated

Forums are soo tricky to use 😶

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I update five Nokia devices, three were mine and two for other family members, no major issues on any of them (no Skype problems, great battery life, no camera issue).

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Forums are soo tricky to use ��

Funny, made me laugh.

On topic, I have put 8,1 on five phones and so far no problem other than the problem with Cortana live tile but that it down to Cortana.

On all my phones I did a hard reset before and after installing 8.1 and set the phones up as new so no restore from a backup.

Then the week before last I decided to revert back to 8.0 on one of my 925's and see what happens if I didn't do a hard reset. What I did was use Nokia software updater for retail to go back to 8.0 and restored from my last backup and used Lumia app updater to update all the apps on the phone. Then I installed 8.1 and left the phone for a few days using it when I could and it had a load of problems from really bad battery to heating to restarting and freezing.

I then did a hard reset and restored from a backup that I had made before 8.1 and again left it a few days using it while I could so again a couple of hours a day. While I didn't have as many problems as before I still had a lot of problems especially the bad battery and the phone was heating up quite a lot, not so much so that it turned off but considering what I was doing on the phone it was very very hot.

Then I did another hard reset and set the phone up as new and the phone was back to nearly as good as it was but I couldn't get the battery back to where it was before plus it was heating up a little. So I decided to restore back to 8.0 and updated just my system apps and then downloaded 8.1 and set the phone up as new and guess what, the phone is back to where it was with great battery, no heating and no stuttering or stalling.

ahmedromeo520

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

there are many apps to update your setting ... simply use sysapp pusher or Lumia pusher or Lumia system update

hope this solve your problem :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
On all my phones I did a hard reset before and after installing 8.1 and set the phones up as new so no restore from a backup.

I did this in exactly the same way. Hard reset first. Then download developer preview app. Update. Hard reset again. No problems...

Thank you for the time you spent investigating this! May I kindly suggest that you put that post in it's own thread? I think those insights are too valuable to have them buried here!

pasteltiara

May 18, 2014
Visit site
So far,I had only one issue after upgrading to the latest Preview. The sharing feature failed to function. Each time I tried to share to an email a link or anything, it just takes me back to the app. Sharing vis SMS works, though.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had so little issues on my 1520 that I can list them off the top of my head (and I don't have that good memory):

1. The first time I tried to sign in after the 8 to 8.1 update completed the phone was unresponsive when I put in a wrong password (technically number) from shaky, excited, fingers. It lasted for maybe one or two minutes, or more - I left for a few minutes when this happened. I came back to find it working and lightning-fast as a 1520 should be.

2. Although quiet hours was not turned on, and no schedule was or ever had been set for it, the phone didn't make any sound when I unlocked or locked it. Either this fixed itself or I fixed it when I turned quiet hours on then off again.

3. This is a recurring issue - although I'd love to use my one week and one day old 1520 every waking second of the day, I don't have much of a chance to use it in school too often so I hold the power button and swipe down to turn it off and save battery, not like this awesome phone's battery needs to be saved anyway. When I hold the power button to turn it on, many times, if not every time for the last five or six power-ons, the phone goes to the at&t screen (sometimes also the Nokia screen) and turns back off. Once I turn it back on after that it turns on like normal.

ChemEngr

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I used to be one of those hard reset, clean install people - very OCD about my OSes running optimally. I have two AT&T L920s (red and cyan) that I switch periodically. The advantage of having backup phones is this case in point - no worries. I waited until update 1 before applying the WP8.1 developer preview. I installed the update the easy way - no hard resets, no clean installs. Count me in as one of the lucky with no issues. Actually the first day was not very good on battery life quite possibly due to the OS setting up ancillary processes in the background. The second day, battery life was noticeably better - even better than pre 8.1. Then I turned on Cortana - battery life took a hit, but still manages to get through the whole day/eve. No complaints with this update.

I'll do the hard reset/clean install on my other L920 to see if there's a difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05