Auto-brightness trick

vassilis1924

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
After the news about Lumia Cyan offering a more customizable brightness level, many people commented "great because my phone is to bright at night" or "it gets too dim and I have to constantly change brightness from medium to high" etc.

I wanted to share a tip with you, that was there from the beginning and still is on 8.1:

Auto brightness chances behavior depending on what level of brightness you have selected before turning auto on.

That means:

1) Turning auto off, setting level to low and then turning auto on, will give you a dimmer screen at all times, still comfortable in lighter environments but as dark as it gets at night.
So you get better battery life, and you can comfortably use your phone in bed.

2) With setting to medium, turning auto off gives you a wider range of brightness levels. You pretty much know how it works, it's the default setting.

3) With setting to high, turning auto off seems to prefer brighter settings at light environments, and also never gets too dim at night.

Source:
1)Nokia Care app, tips and tricks section, extend battery life
2) Official Nokia Lumia Manuals under the extend battery life chapter

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
i am using auto brightness since beginning. that's what i have checked while shifting from Lumia 800 to Lumia 720, whether this auto brightness / ambient sensor is there or not.

shreadow

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
is there any application likeScreen Filteron Android? to make the screen much dimmer?!! bcoz on my lumia 920 the miniumum broghtness is still very uncomfortable for my eyes at night in my room when the light is off

vassilis1924

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
is there any application likeScreen Filteron Android? to make the screen much dimmer?!! bcoz on my lumia 920 the miniumum broghtness is still very uncomfortable for my eyes at night in my room when the light is off
Hey!
Well I don't think that there's an app for that on Windows Phone.

But i have two suggestions for you to try

1) Turn brightness to low, and then turn auto on. It dims almost as much as possible when at darkness.
(if on WP 8.1 do this from the settings menu and not the action center)

2) If you don't care about notifications when using your phone in bed at night, you can manually enable battery saver. That will dim the screen all the way down, AND will also turn of the white LEDs of the keys.
Let me know if any of these was helpful for ya! ;)

vassilis1924

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
@shreadow

I just found out that Lumia Cyan (Firmware Update that will come with WP8.1) will give us sliders to set brightness at any level we want.
I hope that this will solve your problem :)

shreadow

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
actually this doesnt solve the problem
the DIMMEST it can get with its lcd screen is still bright when ur in the dark!
an application like screen filter is truly needed!
​i installed Cyan, there is no slider btw!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea