I just got screwed by my phone.

Sameer Charaniya

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 620 with developers with wp 8.1.... For some reason my phone got hung. I held on to volume down + camera + power button for a few seconds ( which I generally used to do earlier) from my phone when it was on wp8 and used to hang... But what happened today is the phone took around five minutes to boot up.. But when it did boot up my memory card was swiped clean.. Nothing on it except basic folders.. I tried to connect the memory card to my laptop and evn tried a few data recovery tools but I got nothing... I lost almost 11 gb worth of songs and images.. Any body has any idea what the **** happened?? Anybody else faced this?? Did I do something wrong?? Do others need to be made aware of this???

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 620 have a removable battery? Why not just do a battery pull? I realize it's too late now, but yeah it sounds to me like you might have accidentally hard reset your device... Not much you can do but download everything again. I wish I had better news for you, but I don't. In the future of your phone hangs again I would recommend a battery pull instead. I'm not 100% site it won't create issues with the OS but I had to do it all the time on my HTC HD7 with the 7.5 OS (that phone was really buggy) and once or twice with my current Ativ S without any noticeable ill effects.

Sameer Charaniya

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Its not a faulty card.. It works just fine.. And given the fact that its a scandisk ultra purchased just a month back I would say the chances are slim...

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't, I have had my SanDisk go bad on the second day I owned it. It went bad again after I had the phone format it. Lucky for me SanDisk replaced it. Most people find it easier to blame the phone they don't really like then to blame a SD card manufacture they do like. And almost no one blames user error.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520, w/AT&T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MetaG85

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't, I have had my SanDisk go bad on the second day I owned it. It went bad again after I had the phone format it. Lucky for me SanDisk replaced it. Most people find it easier to blame the phone they don't really like them to blame a SD card manufacture they do like. And almost no one blames user error.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520, w/AT&T using Tapatalk

Yeah Im dealing with a faulty 64gb SD it turns pics up blank or distorted, destroys files copied to it you can remove files on it through a PC but you cannot copy onto it. Its just trash but damn I really don't want to shell out more cash for another, damnit.
Gotta do what I gotta do.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Like Oditus and MetaG85 have said, it is probably the card, I've experienced this myself and I have seen several colleagues cards go bad to. You need to remember these cards have a life expectancy as well (in the form of read / write cycles) and will not retain data for ever. Furthermore they are also prone to heat damage, I have heard cards getting damaged (i.e becoming unreadable, not retaining data) in purses despite being in a plastic case.

Therefore you should never store invaluable data such as pictures, videos solely on a flash card, always keep a back up on a pc, external hdd or NAS. Even then you should have redundancy backup systems in place in case these fail too.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Were you trying to do a soft reset?
For any others reading, a soft reset is:
Hold the volume down button and the power button down until the phone vibrates, release. This takes about 10 seconds. The phone will shutdown and restart.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Wait... did the OP just mention volume down + camera + power? That's the key combination for hard reset which wipes all the data. Soft reset key combination is volume down + power

Sameer Charaniya

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Wait... did the OP just mention volume down + camera + power? That's the key combination for hard reset which wipes all the data. Soft reset key combination is volume down + power

Ohhh fucckkkk .... I think its me who messed up then... Bites me why it did not happen till now for the many times I have done this before..

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Where did you get the card from? Just because it has SanDisk on it doesn't mean it is one. Lots of copies out there.

Yes. I got some from ebay once. Never again. Got 10 for a project but they were fakes and had a 50% failure rate. Looked 100% perfect, but never again.

Now we always buy from Amazon direct in retail packaging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven