07-07-2015 08:24 PM
80 1234
tools
    I needed no app with my iPhone.
    Yeah, air print is a nice feature. Any air print compatible printer works without an app. But of coarse you need an iPhone for that :P. Which I not my preference
    05-26-2014 07:03 PM
    I needed no app with my iPhone.
    Only if the printer was equipped with AirPrint. Once again, it's the printer - NOT the phone. I'm running out of ways to make that point as clear as I can.
    05-26-2014 07:10 PM
    I'm just baffled as to how this is not native.
    The answer is easy, drivers.
    05-26-2014 08:00 PM
    My girlfriend and I have been printing from our iPhones for what feels like forever.
    Natively?
    05-26-2014 08:01 PM
    But most printers nowadays can print by email. Am I right?
    05-26-2014 08:04 PM
    The issue here is that from the typical end user point of view the iOS platform "just works". Since most printers now support the AirPrint protocol and consumers aren't generally aware this is a specific protocol limited to Apple products they just blame the platform that isn't allowing them to print. Microsoft just doesn't carry the 'weight' in the mobile phone arena to force the issue to forge a new standard. Just wait and see what happens when iOS starts to support NFC and wireless charging for another example of this sort of thing. Is a sad and unfortunate truth. Hoping that slow steady growth for WP can turn the tide.
    05-26-2014 08:36 PM
    Only if the printer was equipped with AirPrint. Once again, it's the printer - NOT the phone. I'm running out of ways to make that point as clear as I can.
    I'm beginning to wonder why or even if he even has a windows phone. All he does is complain about it and say how great apple is.
    05-27-2014 08:02 AM
    The issue here is that from the typical end user point of view the iOS platform "just works". Since most printers now support the AirPrint protocol and consumers aren't generally aware this is a specific protocol limited to Apple products they just blame the platform that isn't allowing them to print. Microsoft just doesn't carry the 'weight' in the mobile phone arena to force the issue to forge a new standard. Just wait and see what happens when iOS starts to support NFC and wireless charging for another example of this sort of thing. Is a sad and unfortunate truth. Hoping that slow steady growth for WP can turn the tide.
    This!
    05-27-2014 02:05 PM
    I'm beginning to wonder why or even if he even has a windows phone. All he does is complain about it and say how great apple is.
    I'm beginning to wonder why or even if you're here for a purpose. All you do is complain about the original poster and how great he thinks apple is.
    05-27-2014 02:09 PM
    Crazy part of It is if I thought apple was so great I wouldn't have switched to Windows phone in the first place (but even if I did think apple was great unlike the way you act, Microsoft doesn't pay me so I can think both are great and be cool with that). I use apple as an example because my iPhone 4s was hands down an inferior product compared to my Lumia 1520 but as it was stated, from an end point of the user it feels like it just works out of the box. Clearly you're a hater so I know dissing people for a device must come natural to you. So hate on bro.
    05-27-2014 02:16 PM
    Can anyone suggest a $170(below) All-in-One Inkjet printer(Without fax) that can print wirelessly using my lumia 920?
    05-27-2014 03:29 PM
    Can anyone suggest a $170(below) All-in-One Inkjet printer(Without fax) that can print wirelessly using my lumia 920?
    Check Brother's website and see which printers support the WP app.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    05-27-2014 03:38 PM
    does canon MG3100 series support WP? i bought it for use with my ipad and computers last year
    05-27-2014 03:43 PM
    Check Brother's website and see which printers support the WP app.

But according to their website, they only supports WP 7.5?
    05-27-2014 03:49 PM
    But according to their website, they only supports WP 7.5?
    The Windows store lists support for 7.5/8/8.1

Maybe the website needs updating. Besides, I believe apps are backward compatible. Not 100% sure.

05-27-2014 04:33 PM
    One thing MS has done about printers is create a "Universal Printer Driver" aka V3 print driver. It was created to minimize the need for all the specialty drivers from all the printer manufacturers. They have updated to V4 with Windows 8.

If you ever looked at the install media from XP, you could look in the drivers section and notice that a HUGE chunk space was for printer drivers (and the majority of them just provided basic printing at best). As more and more printer manufactures embraced the Universal printer driver model the smaller the driver collection that needs to be included in the install media (just look at how small the Windows 8.x install media is).

It hasn't quite gotten to the Apple AirPrint protocol, yet. But it's getting there.
    05-27-2014 08:58 PM
    One thing MS has done about printers is create a "Universal Printer Driver" aka V3 print driver. It was created to minimize the need for all the specialty drivers from all the printer manufacturers. They have updated to V4 with Windows 8.

If you ever looked at the install media from XP, you could look in the drivers section and notice that a HUGE chunk space was for printer drivers (and the majority of them just provided basic printing at best). As more and more printer manufactures embraced the Universal printer driver model the smaller the driver collection that needs to be included in the install media (just look at how small the Windows 8.x install media is).

It hasn't quite gotten to the Apple AirPrint protocol, yet. But it's getting there.
    Yet the 8.x install media is still a DVD!!!!
    05-28-2014 05:21 AM
    This is a very strange thread. It's the equivalent of saying my Windows Phone doesn't work with commonly available iphone docks. There is no reason manufactures can't make devices that print wirelessly from Windows Phone... if THEY choose to.

I have Windows 8.1 installed on a tablet and a PC and I have never seen a Windows 8.x DVD.
    05-28-2014 12:36 PM
    Yeah, and? You can plug in an external optical drive on the RT.
    05-28-2014 12:36 PM
    It's in many forms, optical is one of them but for my PC's it was a 2MB .exe and it grabbed what it needed off t'internet

I've also used USB sticks...
    05-28-2014 02:47 PM
    Size wise, yes. But it's more 'other' stuff now.

I'm happy that after it's done installing it's a bit small footprint than previous windows versions (generally).
    05-28-2014 07:37 PM
    This is a very strange thread. It's the equivalent of saying my Windows Phone doesn't work with commonly available iphone docks. There is no reason manufactures can't make devices that print wirelessly from Windows Phone... if THEY choose to.

I have Windows 8.1 installed on a tablet and a PC and I have never seen a Windows 8.x DVD.
    I've seen a DVD because I ordered one! Just as a backup in case I wanted to do a restore. But you have to specifically order one.

Strange indeed. I came across it because I happen to have a pdf that I could open and view on my 1520 but not on my desktop. So I was looking for a way to get the pdf "off my phone" and print, wired, wirelessly or otherwise. I thought this might be the answer.
    06-02-2014 05:52 PM
    pretty sure that feature is fairly low on the priority list right now, people still print stuff to paper? (other than coupon...)
    06-02-2014 06:34 PM
    I happen to have a pdf that I could open and view on my 1520 but not on my desktop. So I was looking for a way to get the pdf "off my phone" and print, wired, wirelessly or otherwise. I thought this might be the answer.
    have you tried uploading it to services like these and convert it into word and see if it opens?
    PDF to Word Online Converter - Easiest to Edit - 100% Free
    06-02-2014 06:42 PM
    And I will also confirm that not only can WP it actually does. I have successfully used something called Print2Cloud Plus which routes through Google Cloud Print and it works for photos and pdfs. It ain't exactly easy or pretty, as you have to login to Chrome and add your network printers through those settings, but then it seems to work fairly well.
    06-02-2014 06:45 PM
80 1234