WP 8.1 can't print wirelessly!?!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
One thing MS has done about printers is create a "Universal Printer Driver" aka V3 print driver. It was created to minimize the need for all the specialty drivers from all the printer manufacturers. They have updated to V4 with Windows 8.

If you ever looked at the install media from XP, you could look in the drivers section and notice that a HUGE chunk space was for printer drivers (and the majority of them just provided basic printing at best). As more and more printer manufactures embraced the Universal printer driver model the smaller the driver collection that needs to be included in the install media (just look at how small the Windows 8.x install media is).

It hasn't quite gotten to the Apple AirPrint protocol, yet. But it's getting there.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
One thing MS has done about printers is create a "Universal Printer Driver" aka V3 print driver. It was created to minimize the need for all the specialty drivers from all the printer manufacturers. They have updated to V4 with Windows 8.

If you ever looked at the install media from XP, you could look in the drivers section and notice that a HUGE chunk space was for printer drivers (and the majority of them just provided basic printing at best). As more and more printer manufactures embraced the Universal printer driver model the smaller the driver collection that needs to be included in the install media (just look at how small the Windows 8.x install media is).

It hasn't quite gotten to the Apple AirPrint protocol, yet. But it's getting there.

Yet the 8.x install media is still a DVD!!!!

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Only if the printer was equipped with AirPrint. Once again, it's the printer - NOT the phone. I'm running out of ways to make that point as clear as I can.

I'm beginning to wonder why or even if he even has a windows phone. All he does is complain about it and say how great apple is.

This is a very strange thread. It's the equivalent of saying my Windows Phone doesn't work with commonly available iphone docks. There is no reason manufactures can't make devices that print wirelessly from Windows Phone... if THEY choose to.

Yet the 8.x install media is still a DVD!!!!

I have Windows 8.1 installed on a tablet and a PC and I have never seen a Windows 8.x DVD.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
This is a very strange thread. It's the equivalent of saying my Windows Phone doesn't work with commonly available iphone docks. There is no reason manufactures can't make devices that print wirelessly from Windows Phone... if THEY choose to.

I have Windows 8.1 installed on a tablet and a PC and I have never seen a Windows 8.x DVD.

I've seen a DVD because I ordered one! Just as a backup in case I wanted to do a restore. But you have to specifically order one.

Strange indeed. I came across it because I happen to have a pdf that I could open and view on my 1520 but not on my desktop. So I was looking for a way to get the pdf "off my phone" and print, wired, wirelessly or otherwise. I thought this might be the answer.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
pretty sure that feature is fairly low on the priority list right now, people still print stuff to paper? (other than coupon...)

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
And I will also confirm that not only can WP it actually does. I have successfully used something called Print2Cloud Plus which routes through Google Cloud Print and it works for photos and pdfs. It ain't exactly easy or pretty, as you have to login to Chrome and add your network printers through those settings, but then it seems to work fairly well.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Lindsay View Post

You mean to tell me in its awesomeness WP 8.1 can't wirelessly print?!? My iPhone which could do nothing in a professional manner can do that. How was this over looked?

Lol. You are restructing the old and buried topic again.

Here is something that I have done from WP7.0 days.

I have an HP Photosmart Printer at home. I have enabled print via email, which is true wireless printing, because, lets says I am half way around the world on a holiday with some friends, and I want to print some pics for displaying at home. I can just email to my printer and it is printed & ready for me (I can even ask one of my family members to frame the pic and display at home).

Most of the apps that enable wireless print requires your phone to be on the same wireless network as your printer.

So, I am very happy customer with wireless printing via email.

mastercoin

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Lol. You are restructing the old and buried topic again.

Here is something that I have done from WP7.0 days.

I have an HP Photosmart Printer at home. I have enabled print via email, which is true wireless printing, because, lets says I am half way around the world on a holiday with some friends, and I want to print some pics for displaying at home. I can just email to my printer and it is printed & ready for me (I can even ask one of my family members to frame the pic and display at home).

Most of the apps that enable wireless print requires your phone to be on the same wireless network as your printer.

So, I am very happy customer with wireless printing via email.
Good info, BUT *true* cloud printing does *not* require *one* vendor's equipment to print thru email. Google cloud print is the nearest "vendor- independent" non-printer plugin, software-only solution, IMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster