Why Isn't Windows Phone Doing Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jailman

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Simply and in few words because its late to the party consider wp now like android back in 2006/2007 its simply in its early stages

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
It's late. The need has been filled, now its just an alternative. If everyone wanted a windows phone then I wouldn't want it anymore.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Must be the way they market their products? And the stupid "apps are the only reason I like smartphones" personly I love wp because its fresh, new and Nokia builds pukka phones

thewphub

May 26, 2014
Visit site
The "late to the Party" Arguement has definately some validity to it. The Saturation of the Market is also a knows Problem. I mean, you know, theres no Need for another Whatsapp, same as there was no real Need for another Desktop Client instead of Windows.

It has been said a lot of times, but i think the most crucial Point on gaining traction, is getting the salespersons to recommend WP. Give them 5% more for selling them, but a lot of People decide against the platform at the store, because a sales guy told them to.

Another big Problem is that there is indeed not much to advertise (not what someone else mentioned too few advertisements). Look at Companys like LG...they ll bring out the G3 in a couple weeks. Feels like every couple months they have a new product to Show the world. Same with Sony.

Leonard Klint.
Founder and Editor of The Windows Phone Hub: Ultimative WINDOWS PHONE NEWS. APPS, REVIEWS

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
That's why the rest of the world outside the U.S. gets the 930 first? And that's why AT&T in the U.S. Hasn't announced ANY new WP 8.1 devices yet the rest of the world gets the 630 and...

The US got the 930 first, a couple months ago to be exact; the Nokia Lumia Icon.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
They are just now waking up and pushing the system. Before they did the same thing they did with Zune. No advertising. Hell even WalMart didn't carry them until 2 months before discontinuing them. And even the surface now has some push in advertising. How can they expect people to make a jump to a new product and experience without being able to put their hands on a device and see it run?. They are redeeming themselves with WP now but it will take time for app writers to invest in learning to code/compile for WP as market share increases. Bonus programs for salesmen of the phones would help tremendously as their profit margins are smaller and a big reason why salespeople make up bs about WP so they can make more selling an iPhone or android device.

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Europe is the best market yet they get everything after the US. They should be hitting Europe hard with the updates and new phones asap. Also the app quality is pathetic. What's app is crap compared to other phone os and Facebook is a bag of **** on wp8. Just ask facebook nicely make us a Facebook app,that's the same as ios and release it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My view on things:

It is a stew of:
1. Marketing, could be better. Not as many people know about Windows Phone. It needs some average joe publicity!
1b. Public image, it could be better too, Microsoft doesn't have the best reputation and some discount Windows Phone simple because its fashionable for Microsoft to suck at things, especially among some techies. (See: Internet Explorer, the ridiculous subset of anti-Windows 8 arguments - also see: technically inclined acquaintance sees my Lumia and asks a simple question: "why...") It just doesn't have the hip image either.
1c. A subset of that is sales experience. Sales reps can be personally biased, misinformed, not trained, or paid by commission, usually not in Windows Phone's favor. that can seriously affect a consumer's purchase. (See: Countless threads regarding this)
1d. Did I mention marketing and awareness? A lot of people aren't aware of it.

2. App selection, it used to be a serious issue, and it still is an issue and I believe Windows Phone will have trouble shaking the "no apps" reputation without a "big guns" marketing campaign on the scale of Samsung. Oh, and getting more apps on the platform is still a work-in-progress. Still has a long way to go. My sister might have to forego a 925 because it lacked a certain medical application. (Haiku, or something like that.)

3. The smartphone market is notoriously hard to break into at this point. At least from what I see. Palm, Blackberry, and Microsoft, with all its resources, are still clawing for ground.

4. A slight sprinkle of specs might be it too, higher numbers can sell stuff.

And some other spices.
Season to taste.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
1.Late to the party
2.Not enough OEMs support
3.Not enough Carriers support
4.Not enough advertising
5.Lack of knowledge for people what WP actually is

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
In part, it's the same dynamic as the hiring process for new entrants into the workforce. If you don't have a job, you won't get experience. But without experience, you can't get a job. Windows Phone adopts users the same way people get their first real job. In the workforce, someone sees potential in a candidate without experience and takes a chance on him or her instead of going with the safe bet, experienced candidate. Similarly, WP adopters see potential in the OS and take a chance by not going with the safe bet (iOS and Android). WP will continue to lag until it becomes a "safe bet."

ncbenr

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Like many things, people choose smart phones based on what they have been exposed to. If your family and friends all have iPhones, you'll probably get an iPhone. Likewise for android. Or you might have to choose between one or the other. With its current market share, Windows Phone needs to do something to break that cycle or be patient and be happy with incremental growth.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on perspective. WP could be doing better, but they could also be doing worse. One of Steve Jobs biggest criticism about Bill Gates was that he had his hands in everything instead of concentrating on one aspect of technology. MS has never been big on advertising their products. I don't even think they care about being the best ecosystem for mobile use because they're hoping the average person is already utilizing some MS product. Linking the mobile experience to that is where I think they'll pull consumers. I do think they realized they need to evolve a little in their presentation. WP will continue to grow at a very moderate pace and MS is fine with that.

kaantantr

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
entered the smartphone market a little late.
Selling from the start is much more easier than converting people from other OS'.
And of course Apple uses its so called exclusivity to its adventage. Many people want to show off how rich they are by always buying the overpriced thing... Nokia is not exclusive for upper class, which makes these people think its only for lower class.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The US got the 930 first, a couple months ago to be exact; the Nokia Lumia Icon.

This is true, but the Icon is only on Verizon for one (which I'm not, nor have any intention on switching as I've been with AT&T over 10 years), and two, the Icon shipped as a "WP8 phone" not a WP8.1 as the 930 comes with. The Icon and 930 might share the same specs (processor etc) but are two different phones IMHO.

That's almost like saying "we already have the Surface Pro 3, it's called the Surface Pro 2... because it has the same exact CPU"

Marty Larsson

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft have no real advertising clout they have no way to show or promote their products in a way that is cool or imaginative, Samsung have ads for the s5 with the worlds best footballing/soccer stars Messi, Ronaldo and Rooney among others yet Microsoft sign up Jessica Alba, James Corden and Holly Willoughby to plug their products. Not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs