This is Crazy, Lumia 820 overheat on it's own after last 8.1 update

imadous

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
It did it to me Twice now! .. first time i found the battery totally off and the phone frozen on the goodbye screen and really hot, yesterday the same!, the phone was left in standby in my bag .. i went looking for it and wow .. i was shocked!, not just overheat like when you play games a lot or something, it's almost overheat to DEATH, i seriously thought i lost the phone .. i took the battery out rapidly (it was really hot too) and all and now .. I'm really confused man ..
i never had any such problem in the past or with the first 8.1 update, everything was doing okay.

this is seriously crazy guys, what if someone sleeps leaving his phone beside him and it .. goes crazy overheating without him noticing it, it could explode!! .. people died from such accidents, i can't believe they lunched this update with issues like this man,
if you have a Lumia 820 and didn't do the update yet, DON'T UPDATE IT!!! .. stay with the first 8.1

Microsoft, get your things together people!! .. this is seriously bad!! .. :unhappysweat:
anyone has this issue too ..

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It did it to me Twice now! .. first time i found the battery totally off and the phone frozen on the goodbye screen and really hot, yesterday the same!, the phone was left in standby in my bag .. i went looking for it and wow .. i was shocked!, not just overheat like when you play games a lot or something, it's almost overheat to DEATH, i seriously thought i lost the phone .. i took the battery out rapidly (it was really hot too) and all and now .. I'm really confused man ..
i never had any such problem in the past or with the first 8.1 update, everything was doing okay.

this is seriously crazy guys, what if someone sleeps leaving his phone beside him and it .. goes crazy overheating without him noticing it, it could explode!! .. people died from such accidents, i can't believe they lunched this update with issues like this man,
if you have a Lumia 820 and didn't do the update yet, DON'T UPDATE IT!!! .. stay with the first 8.1

Microsoft, get your things together people!! .. this is seriously bad!! .. :unhappysweat:

Happened yo me once with my 520 with wp8 and last month on 820 with wp8.1

It got so hot.. The battery went down from 100 to 20 in 30 mins

But it never occurred again.. I suppose it may have something to do with signal reception or a ghost background process.. I didn't Uninstall anything after that but you can try soft resetting you phone once

imadous

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Happened yo me once with my 520 with wp8 and last month on 820 with wp8.1

It got so hot.. The battery went down from 100 to 20 in 30 mins

But it never occurred again.. I suppose it may have something to do with signal reception or a ghost background process.. I didn't Uninstall anything after that but you can try soft resetting you phone once
I don't know man, i don't have a sim inside the phone, (have another Dual Sim i use for that), i use my Lumia only for internet browsing and music,

I have doubts about the Wifi probably, i usually leave the "Wifi On" all time but it never cause me any problem in the past.
anyway .. last update has something really wrong with it, i saw many reporting Battery drain by 25% an hour without doing anything in Lumia 820, i hope this mess get fixed, i'm not turning on that phone until i a new update come ... :/

paragoneer

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about your situation imadous. Keep in mind of course that Windows Phone 8.1 hasn't actually launched yet; still, it's pretty lame to hear of overheating issues in what should be a reasonably polished DP build! :unhappy:

Do you by any chance have 'Allow search from lock screen' enabled in Settings > Applications > Search

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
My 1520 does this if I have the Cortana tile on the main screen; it'll run fine for a few hours or a day then it'll happen. Once I removed the Cortana tile (since the tile isn't particularly useful) my overheating problems went away. I tried again after the 8.1.1 update and it still did it.

Amusingly the battery chart would still show Cortana with very low battery usage after these incidents; a battery usage chart that isn't accurate isn't particularly useful.

Alex Blast

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
my beloved 620 does the same sometimes! Ever since 8.1 it has flipped out over 10 times. It Usually happens when I leave it in my pocket. I do notice that 3 out of 5 times I am riding my bike in the intense sun and my phone is in my pocket. Other times were when I am using the phone normally, and it heats up normally. I have the habit of putting the phone on my face to know how hot it is. Boom. Freezes... Strange, huh?

Leonardo Ferrer

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I once experienced an overnight battery drain on a Lumia 920, WP8.1 with the update. I think it was related to location services, which Cortana is very fond to. It hasn't happened again but it's a good choice to disable them at night, you're not going anywhere when you sleep, although this disables Cortana.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

No, it's not bad and no, there is "no thing to get together".

You are using pre-release software. For all we know WP8.1 uses battery juice differently and the phone's firmware didn't provide new values for voltages.

Expect Lumia Cyan to fix all woes.

imadous

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
my beloved 620 does the same sometimes! Ever since 8.1 it has flipped out over 10 times. It Usually happens when I leave it in my pocket. I do notice that 3 out of 5 times I am riding my bike in the intense sun and my phone is in my pocket. Other times were when I am using the phone normally, and it heats up normally. I have the habit of putting the phone on my face to know how hot it is. Boom. Freezes... Strange, huh?
exactly, .. first i thought it was because i leave the Wifi on, but not today i confirmed it, it happens when i leave it on idle (i'm not using it for calling and such, only browsing and app using sometimes)
i don't know how this happens but anyway, i hope it get fixed, and hope Microsoft know about this issue

imadous

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I once experienced an overnight battery drain on a Lumia 920, WP8.1 with the update. I think it was related to location services, which Cortana is very fond to. It hasn't happened again but it's a good choice to disable them at night, you're not going anywhere when you sleep, although this disables Cortana.
i have them always disabled :/ especially the location system, i rarely use it

imadous

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
No, it's not bad and no, there is "no thing to get together".

You are using pre-release software. For all we know WP8.1 uses battery juice differently and the phone's firmware didn't provide new values for voltages.

Expect Lumia Cyan to fix all woes.
using a pre-release software update you expect, glitches, apps that has problems, issues that we can live without but this is non of the stated, this is very terrible, overheating can be not just dangerous to your battery and phone overall, if the phone keep heating up non stop while charging and you have no idea about that it can explode! .. it can cause death!.
i'm not complaining about a glitch, i'm complaining about an issue that needs real fast fix. phone used to work just fine until that blasted update, i can't rest.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
using a pre-release software update you expect, glitches, apps that has problems, issues that we can live without but this is non of the stated, this is very terrible, overheating can be not just dangerous to your battery and phone overall, if the phone keep heating up non stop while charging and you have no idea about that it can explode! .. it can cause death!.
i'm not complaining about a glitch, i'm complaining about an issue that needs real fast fix. phone used to work just fine until that blasted update, i can't rest.

Just go back to 8.0 then and stop complaining, you were NOT made to take the "Developers Preview"

imadous

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Just go back to 8.0 then and stop complaining, you were NOT made to take the "Developers Preview"
well .. here's the big news, you can't! .. yup, once the phone jump to the next update .. it won't go back, and i hope someday you get the same miserable issue as me and you start losing your phone in your hand just like that after working perfectly all the time, so then you can say the same thing to yourself.
you people are just .. something else, instead of coming to help or add up an advice or something useful to the topic, you just come to throw rocks and insults.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
well .. here's the big news, you can't! .. yup, once the phone jump to the next update .. it won't go back, and i hope someday you get the same miserable issue as me and you start losing your phone in your hand just like that after working perfectly all the time, so then you can say the same thing to yourself.
you people are just .. something else, instead of coming to help or add up an advice or something useful to the topic, you just come to throw rocks and insults.

Well you are wrong, I am selling one of my 925s and I restored 8.0 last night in preparation for the sale and yes it did have the 2 updates to 8.1

AnestisL820

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Mine L820 had/ has the same issue... Propably a bug or something else going wrong... But except of overheating alone now it overheats much faster when i enable data... In 2-3 minutes of using the phone starts to burn... I don't konw if it is a bug but in wp8.0 took much longer for just getting hot...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo