Default video player alternatives?

mojo321

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have been extremely frustrated by the video player. The "scrubbing", for lack of a better term, is awful. All you can do is tap the forward button and the video skips ahead 20 seconds or so. So if you want to go to the 18 minute mark of a 45 minute video, you have to tap 36 times. Now, the first tap, causes the player to say "Loading..." and then it resumes playback at that spot. If you tap it twice, sometimes it just SITS there, stuck....for several minutes....and then, suddenly....."Loading..." appears and it resumes playback. It is quite simply AWFUL. Sometimes, it does that after the first tap! There seems to be a problem with the location call from streaming media. First load is, eh, OK. But moving to a forward time, causes it to lock up. Its a real problem for streaming. The problem is not really duplicatable with a downloaded video or a video stored from the camera. It must be a streamed video in native WP player to see the problem. It drives me crazy.

Watching Youtube in the browser is a little better, but not because of the WP player....in SPITE of it. In other words, it works because it doesn't use it!

Another problem, this black square that sometimes appears when watching embedded video on a webpage. it covers about 75% of the video and is perfectly centered. (see yahoo news website)

Anyone have a solution to this? Is Windows gonna fix it? I really fear that because they have Youtube working pretty good, they will ignore this problem.

mojo321

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
That app doesn't work. I am on 8.1 preview with my Icon. Streaming is important. That app seams to want to download the whole file, and then it gets stuck just before playback. Not good. Any other ideas? When is Microsoft going to have a good media player for the love of pete.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I have been extremely frustrated by the video player. The "scrubbing", for lack of a better term, is awful. All you can do is tap the forward button and the video skips ahead 20 seconds or so. So if you want to go to the 18 minute mark of a 45 minute video, you have to tap 36 times. Now, the first tap, causes the player to say "Loading..." and then it resumes playback at that spot. If you tap it twice, sometimes it just SITS there, stuck....for several minutes....and then, suddenly....."Loading..." appears and it resumes playback. It is quite simply AWFUL. Sometimes, it does that after the first tap! There seems to be a problem with the location call from streaming media. First load is, eh, OK. But moving to a forward time, causes it to lock up. Its a real problem for streaming. The problem is not really duplicatable with a downloaded video or a video stored from the camera. It must be a streamed video in native WP player to see the problem. It drives me crazy.

Watching Youtube in the browser is a little better, but not because of the WP player....in SPITE of it. In other words, it works because it doesn't use it!

Another problem, this black square that sometimes appears when watching embedded video on a webpage. it covers about 75% of the video and is perfectly centered. (see yahoo news website)

Anyone have a solution to this? Is Windows gonna fix it? I really fear that because they have Youtube working pretty good, they will ignore this problem.
I have all the exact same problems on my 1520

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs