Desktop multi-tasking

Benjaminb95

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I was messing around with Ubuntu lately, and there was one feature I liked very much. If you drag a program to one side, it wil automatically fill half of the screen. I know Windows 8 has this possibility with apps too, but because I rely heavily on desktop programs, I was wondering if this was also possible in Windows 8 without having to resize the programs manually.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You should be able to just drag a window to the far right or left and it'll drop in and fill in half the screen.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, I believe you can do it for multiple windows by right clicking the taskbar and selecting one of the arrange options. (running off of memory)

Benjaminb95

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Great! I completely missed this feature. I always stopped when part of the program was moving beyond the side of the screen, but it works when I move my mouse to the sides. Thanks!

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Like a5cent already said, this feature has been part of Windows since Windows 7. A very quick way to change the size of a program or have it snap is using the Windows key and your cursor keys:

- Win key + cursor left -> Window snaps to the left and fills 50% of the width of your screen (height 100%)
- Win key + cursor right -> Window snaps to the right and fills 50% of the width of your screen (height 100%)
- Win key + cursor up -> Windows goes fullscreen (width and height both 100%)
- Win key + cursor down -> minimizes the window

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte