Why would anyone buy a non-Nokia Windows Phone?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I happen to like my 8x. Going on two years and have no plans in replacing it.

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

myoujin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
LOL I have a 520 and did not realize it had a removable battery!

Lol. Does it mean removable battery need is gimmick? Lucky my phone does not power hungry device. I can use my 1520 1 day++ without charge.

How often you all change the battery when using samsung etc?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I can't see myself buying anything non Lumia. Some people are fine with using second hand android turned WP and they are content with Samsung or HTC half I'm, half out support.

I like to support the manufacturer that has long proven to be all in.....and innovative(1020/1520) vs buying other windows phones that are just good enough but nothing special.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The only way I will switch from Nokia smartphones, if Sony make a killer Windows Phone that include all high end capabilities including integration of IR. Sony can do a twin of the Xperia Z2 but with WP 8.1 and guarantee that will be my future upgrade.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
There is something annoying that a manufacturer of Windows Phones will now have to license Beats Audio from Apple. At least that is my understanding.

They licensed Beats audio for a time frame (1-3 years depending on vendor) or for a set amount of devices. With the sale, Apple will have to honor current contracts. If HTC, for example, wanted to renew after the current contract is up, then of course they would have to do it through Apple (they are still different companies right now, just because Apple owns them, this type of stuff should not change till contracts are up)

Unless Apple decides to make it exclusive to Apple devices moving forward, then you will only get Beats on a Apple device. Not sure on their reasoning's for buying Beats but, doing the exclusive thing might be something they are planning, unless Apple is going for their Music service, all will be seen in a few months after Apple announces it.

I had a 8X for a while and have used Beats headphones, I was never impressed with them. I would rather get a midline good brand headphones over beats any day...

It just shows the path where Apple is going now, innovation is dead, just buy or copy....that must be their motto now, I have said it before and will say it again, Apple died with Steve Jobs...it's just a matter of time...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I, for one, would always go with a Nokia because that's what I've always had and I trust the brand. My first cell phone was a Nokia To date, I have had 10 phones, and only two of them are not Nokia (iPhone 4 and HTC One M7). When it comes to Windows Phone, though, it's Nokia all the way for me because of what I said above, plus it has incredible build quality. I've dropped my 925 twice since I got it three months ago and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I also love the cameras on these things. Even the lower end Lumias take good pictures.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've only had 2 Nokia's, the 1020 and 1520. As long as I can get Nokia WP's, I will. The build quality is excellent, the added software, the CAMERA, etc...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I only a 925 and a 8X.

Here's why I'd buy a non Nokia WP model: better audio for music playback. This is a failing from the whole WP platform. At least MSFT made the exception with the 8X/8S and allowed Beats Audio. While Beats Audio can be polarizing, they did allow a built in amp which is more important from a hardware perspective.

Point is not everyone wants a Lumia. I'm curious to see what HTC puts out for WP because if they port over that audio playback tech into their newer models, some people will buy (assuming the Music app becomes good again in 8.1). Camera tech is cool but with the push to big screens, audio playback is getting important.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, I only a 925 and a 8X.

Here's why I'd buy a non Nokia WP model: better audio for music playback. This is a failing from the whole WP platform. At least MSFT made the exception with the 8X/8S and allowed Beats Audio. While Beats Audio can be polarizing, they did allow a built in amp which is more important from a hardware perspective.

Point is not everyone wants a Lumia. I'm curious to see what HTC puts out for WP because if they port over that audio playback tech into their newer models, some people will buy (assuming the Music app becomes good again in 8.1). Camera tech is cool but with the push to big screens, audio playback is getting important.
Sorry Nokia typically uses better headphone preamps then apple. Now if you're wanting to boost the hell out of the bass to make the $5 ear buds that come with it pound, well....have fun.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry Nokia typically uses better headphone preamps then apple. Now if you're wanting to boost the hell out of the bass to make the $5 ear buds that come with it pound, well....have fun.

beats audio?? guys lumias come with dolby, much better imho
beats has too much bass,too little treble

Not sure Apple got into this discussion but hey, someone always finds a way to do the Fruit Co some kind of shout out.

For the record, the Dolby in the HTC WP7 models sounds way better than in the Nokia WP8 models. As weaker as the output is in those WP7 models, the sound is crisper, cleaner with better overall balance.

Also for the record, the 8X with Beats Audio toggled off still smokes any Lumia with Dolby toggled on or off. The phone itself has a built in amp - a good one too. It isn't about the bass - WP8 stock music player has no EQ in it and sounds flat as hell via Bluetooth.

Lumias have flaws too.

xoxoGeorges

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
The only way I will switch from Nokia smartphones, if Sony make a killer Windows Phone that include all high end capabilities including integration of IR. Sony can do a twin of the Xperia Z2 but with WP 8.1 and guarantee that will be my future upgrade.

Same here.

Considering Nokia is no more, my next phone will be the next Xperia WP.

Jordano

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Well, I really appreciate Nokia's work, both in software and hardware. It's obviously the best pack in terms of software in any mobile platform.

However, when I switched to WP a month ago, I decided to go with Samsung (Ativ S), for a few reasons:

? Screen size. I had a Nexus 4, so I thought that slightly smaller devices would be a downgrade. Apart the 930, the Lumias are between 4 and 4.5 inches (the 1320 and the 1520 are too big for me).
? Technical assistance. Nokia, in Brazil, is very limited, since it only counts with two places in my state. Bad things happen, so better be safe than sorry, and I heard not so good things about these assistances.
? Removable battery and SD support. Some Lumias have, others don't; add this to the screen factor and that's a deal breaker for me.

The 930 would be my choice after all, even violating some of my requisites. But, hey, in Brazil it will cost my kidneys and my lungs, considering I don't have the money to pay for one. And I'm very satisfied with my Ativ, both in HW and SW, since my biggest interest is Windows Phone itself.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
As great as Nokia has been with WP the upcoming HTC W8 & LG Uni8 are no slouches spec wise. Plus I anticipate the upcoming Sony WP will be impressive as well. MS/Nokia can't be the only WP OEM if WP is to survive the long haul in the smartphone OS business.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Having started my Windows Phone journey with an HTC 8X, I have also picked up Lumia 520s and a 925. When I got the first Lumia, I was stunned to see all the add-ons Nokia provides for (most of) their products (Glance, Music, other apps, etc).

I have really enjoyed my HTC 8X, but as I get ready to buy a Lumia Icon, I find myself wondering what would be the advantages to buying anything other than a Nokia/MS device now? Is there something obvious I am missing?

The 1520 is very big and therefore a niche product, the 930 is a re-release of the Icon which wasn't too exciting when it was first released a few months back. Both have certainly good enough hardware, but are already a generation behind the Android competition while being almost as expensive. Those would already be good enough reasons for me to look at other manufacturers.

The real problem is, that the competition looks even worse, as there is practically none. Samsung only released one Windows Phone recently and this very locally distributed, and where the 930 is not very exciting, the ATIV SE is just blunt. There's nothing new from HTC or any other company.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6