Windows Phone doesn't support files sharing through Wi-Fi

Sree R

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Somebody please tell me why i cant send or receive files in my WP through Wi-Fi. Even low cost samsung phones can do it. Is there any app available to do this job?.

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Since Lumia 630 & 930 already have official firmware, do they have this?

Can anyone with either a Lumia 630 or 930 confirm?

To the best of my knowledge this is not natively supported on my dual sim 630. Closest you can get is sharing via Bluetooth from within the files app.

kvrbrijith

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm using "easy transfer"app which does the work almost perfect. We don't need Wi-Fi hotspot or router, internet sharing is only needed. Only one partner needs the app installed. Other one need a perfect browser.( internet explorer for windows phone, default browser for Android or opera mobile for Symbian). The Only problem is, we need data connection activated even though least amount of data is used.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm using "easy transfer"app which does the work almost perfect.

I do hope you are encrypting those files first! You do realize that you are "giving" those files the ET website servers, then they transfer them back to your other device. It would bother me as to what happens with the data left on their inter-exchange server.

You can do the same thing but a *little* more safely by attaching the files to an email that you send to yourself and download on the other device. If you use gmail then the files will be TLS-encrytpted in transit.

kvrbrijith

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
If you must use WiFi, why can't you just email the file?

The "flash transfer"and all in android use Wi-Fi tethering for transferring big files(1-2 gb) within a short period of time. Much faster than Bluetooth. They don't need to be connected to a common Wi-Fi network. Like that, the app"easy transfer" in windows phone do almost similar work. It uses our"internet sharing" option to transfer files. No need of a Wi-Fi hotspot or router and we don't need 3g. Lest amount of data(around 100 kb ) data is used for transferring 1gb files.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
There's also sharing over onedrive, dropbox etc. I don't see how WiFi transfer, in the way android does it, is so necessary. There are equally good ways to transfer files.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
If you must use WiFi, why can't you just email the file?

I am not talking about photo or music here.
Think little big.

I don't why some user having hard time to understand that(their mind only moves around onedrive) some users doesn't have fast internet connection and some have limited plan.
So, share file through internet as as good as downloading movie from internet. Waste of time and money.

I am talking about transferring movies, documentaries from one device to another
Lets say I want a movie from my friends device who is sitting right in-front of me , so, which is the fastest way to transfer file. He didn't uploaded that movie to One drive, it's in phone memory.

Tell me what will you do to take that movie?

Last edited:

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
My point is, if you are using WiFi, you can use dropbox or onedrive. And yes, you can use it for big files too. It's not like there's no way to transfer files.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
My point is, if you are using WiFi, you can use dropbox or onedrive. And yes, you can use it for big files too. It's not like there's no way to transfer files.

Suppose if we have a movie of size 1gb and then I want to transfer it to my windows device....so if I use OneDrive it would take a lot of time to upload a movie with such a big size using a data connection of 2g..but its not the same with Android which has Wi-Fi direct facility so users can transfer media through Wi-Fi in Android which can't be done on a WP device, the OP is talking about this.

kvrbrijith

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Suppose if we have a movie of size 1gb and then I want to transfer it to my windows device....so if I use OneDrive it would take a lot of time to upload a movie with such a big size using a data connection of 2g..but its not the same with Android which has Wi-Fi direct facility so users can transfer media through Wi-Fi in Android which can't be done on a WP device, the OP is talking about this.
Try the above mentioned app - easy transfer. It uses your phones Wi-Fi to transfer files. It does not use ur data. I transferred 700 mb file much faster than Bluetooth without using cables, Wi-Fi router or Wi-Fi hotshot. You need 2g connection only to start the process. I know it's not like' flash transfer/xender/software data cable in android. But it does the work almost similarly. You can transfer any files to any smart phone-android, iPhone, windows phone or even Symbian. The other device needs only a perfect browser.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Try the above mentioned app - easy transfer. It uses your phones Wi-Fi to transfer files. It does not use ur data. I transferred 700 mb file much faster than Bluetooth without using cables, Wi-Fi router or Wi-Fi hotshot. You need 2g connection only to start the process.

Surely will try it...😊

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6