Opinions of OS X Yosemite (10.10)

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Now that apple has unwrapped Yosemite, what do you guys think of this vs. Windows 8.1?

They've embraced the flat design that win8.1 has, it has a feature called continuity which in theory brings device/computer integration to a new level - provided you're completely on their ecosystem, i.e., Macs, iPhones and iPads.

For me with my Lumia Icon that feature really doesn't have much of a draw. Improved search is nice (looks like they're using Bing).

I'm rocking with with a rMBP and use OSX, though most of the time I'm in win8.1. I'm curious to know what you guys think

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll let you know when I get it. It is one outrageous update and its FREE to boot. But to answer your question, Apple is doing what Apple does. It innovates on existing technologies and enhances what it has already done. The problem Apple has always had is making that innovation useful to those they created it for. That is, the OS can do a lot but what it does is so outside how most people function, they don't get used. Yosemite changes paradigm IMHO. Windows 8.1 on the other hand is Windows 7 with some Ubuntu flava. Meaning, Ubuntu has these big buttons on the side that open and close like cabinet drawers and Windows 8.1 has the MetroUI side. Both confuses some people, especially those that lived with XP for the last 14 years and figured this is all their is. But we'll see how Yosemite stacks up against itself when I get it.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
With the changes coming in OS X, I'm likely going to be using Windows mostly for gaming.

It has a lot of bugs right now, but that's expected for a developer preview. I'm sure that by the time it's released, a lot of them will be squashed. I'm also a big fan of the fact that they're starting to take the cloud seriously.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
The more I read about it, the more it seems DP1 is very rough. Its also geared towards those who are in their ecosystem. Its really looking like its not offering me much of anything at this point though I think visually its looking nice.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
The more I read about it, the more it seems DP1 is very rough. Its also geared towards those who are in their ecosystem. Its really looking like its not offering me much of anything at this point though I think visually its looking nice.

Obviously it's rough, it's basically not even beta.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Well I just got a IMac and am getting use to it fairly quick with Maverick. From what I saw of it it looks really nice and has some good updates coming with it.

We will see how it works with my 1520 and 1020 and then make a judgement on it,if it doesn't play nice,then I'll load boot camp and go from there.

Mac

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I really like OS X 10.10. I'm getting the SP3 and selling my SP2, but I'm tempted to get a new mac as well, as my mac is old and outdated...

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Obviously it's rough, it's basically not even beta.

There was a report a month or two ago that apple was pulling developers from the iOS team to work on 10.10 I can kind of see why now. Its probably the buggiest DP1 I've seen in a long time. I was looking into whether I can load it into Vmware workstation. I've seen some people complain that it can impact partitions, even if you install it on an external drive. I don't want it messing with my bootcamp partition, I have too much time invested in configuring windows just the way I like it.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
There was a report a month or two ago that apple was pulling developers from the iOS team to work on 10.10 I can kind of see why now. Its probably the buggiest DP1 I've seen in a long time. I was looking into whether I can load it into Vmware workstation. I've seen some people complain that it can impact partitions, even if you install it on an external drive. I don't want it messing with my bootcamp partition, I have too much time invested in configuring windows just the way I like it.

I wouldn't say that.

I've had fewer problems with this than the first DP of Mavericks. That isn't to say that it doesn't have a lot of problems, most of them being UI related in my experience, but they're fewer than Mavericks for me.

It didn't mess with my bootcamp partition, for the record.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
It didn't mess with my bootcamp partition, for the record.
I don't want to take a chance, if 10.10 offered more features that I'd use, then perhaps I'd take the plunge but since I'm on a WP phone, the continuity feature is a non-event for me. Its cool, don't get me wrong, but its a feature I cannot take advantage of.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to take a chance, if 10.10 offered more features that I'd use, then perhaps I'd take the plunge but since I'm on a WP phone, the continuity feature is a non-event for me. Its cool, don't get me wrong, but its a feature I cannot take advantage of.

Understandable.

I updated mainly because I'm addicted to new things.

​It's a bit jarring, really. But I liked iOS7, so obviously I'm going to like the new UI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers