BlackBerry to Lumia 930 - Questions

Cale221

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I am looking to switch from my BlackBerry Z10 to possibly the 930 (Icon). I love the Z10 and it pains me to leave it, I just can't stand the bugs in the OS anymore and all the BS issues that prevent the device from being something I can depend on.

So I have some questions about Windows 8(.1) that I haven't found the answers to online.

Is it possible to:

- Encrypt Windows 8(.1) devices, namely the 930 (Icon)?

- Is it possible to turn off sync (for OneNote, contacts, etc.) with my MS account / One Drive? I want the option to keep everything on OneNote, office, contacts information to be held locally on my device and not in the 'cloud'.

- If I do use OneNote can I sync certain notebooks and keep others locally?

- Office, again are the files held locally, and I creating / editing locally or via the 'cloud'?

- Does Windows 8 have a count down timer built in, or do I need a third party app?

- Compass?

- Share - is this baked into all aspects of the OS? (Share whilst in Explorer, looking at pictures, video, files, etc)

- How does the email app play with Gmail? Push options avail? Defiantly coming in Win 8.1?

- Does OneNote allow to pictures / voice notes / links to other documents to be added into the notebooks on the mobile version? Can you add reminders within OneNote (I.e remember to by milk, then set the alarm for say 1800?)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I am looking to switch from my BlackBerry Z10 to possibly the 930 (Icon). I love the Z10 and it pains me to leave it, I just can't stand the bugs in the OS anymore and all the BS issues that prevent the device from being something I can depend on.

So I have some questions about Windows 8(.1) that I haven't found the answers to online.

Is it possible to:

- Encrypt Windows 8(.1) devices, namely the 930 (Icon)?
Yes, however us normal consumers cannot easily turn it on. It must be activated, assuming my memory is correct, through policy set by one of MS's enterprise tools or something like that. Was it Exchange? Office 365? I cannot remember. Someone did a thread on this before I believe - a guide on how to do it using a 30 day trial from MS. I might find that if I have the time.

- Is it possible to turn off sync (for OneNote, contacts, etc.) with my MS account / One Drive? I want the option to keep everything on OneNote, office, contacts information to be held locally on my device and not in the 'cloud'.
Well, you could just not use those services. I don't know about Contacts, I was under the impression it required some cloud account to sync to, but I don't know for certain.
I think OneNote syncs regardless.
Calendars can be turned off.
Office can be offline, it will hook into OneDrive IF YOU USE IT. Otherwise, there won't be any activity to hook into.

other people: feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

- If I do use OneNote can I sync certain notebooks and keep others locally?
I'm assuming its a sync-all or don't-use kind of thing.
Might want to check out some other note taking app that doesn't sync.

- Office, again are the files held locally, and I creating / editing locally or via the 'cloud'?
the documents are downloaded, then opened if they came from OneDrive. they can sync to the cloud should you desire or no.
I believe you can open and create offline.

- Does Windows 8 have a count down timer built in, or do I need a third party app?
Desktop Windows 8 yes, but Windows Phone 8.1 does not. It has Alarms, which isn't optimal, but there are suitable third-party apps should you want.
Cortana can set alarms for times. a la "remind me in 23 minutes"

- Compass?
No dedicated Compass app built-in (there are apps for that mind you), but there is one in the device. (used in maps apps)

- Share - is this baked into all aspects of the OS? (Share whilst in Explorer, looking at pictures, video, files, etc)
Its safe to say its almost anywhere.

- How does the email app play with Gmail? Push options avail? Defiantly coming in Win 8.1?
It's OK, I don't think it can handle stars, and I havent messed with labels much having switched somewhat to Outlook.com. But it works OK. Push is newly available in 8.1, but not previously.

there is an app called MetroMail, it may offer a better Gmail experience. But I don't know firsthand as the stock email app is all i need.

- Does OneNote allow to pictures / voice notes / links to other documents to be added into the notebooks on the mobile version? Can you add reminders within OneNote (I.e remember to by milk, then set the alarm for say 1800?)
You can add voice memos, pictures, etc.
I don't know if OneNote does reminders, but you can have Cortana for that exact purpose.

My input above in bold as is my typical style.

Cale221

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi Xandros9,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The way things are going I'm going to wind up with two devices, 930 for the awesome camera and office and a Nexus 5 / 6 (if it's released) for the apps I need.

I might pickup a mid range Lumia to play with Win8.

So the Lumia devices don't encrypt any of your data? BB, Android, iOS encrypt / give you option to encrypt your device straight out of the box, why not Lumia'?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Xandros9,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The way things are going I'm going to wind up with two devices, 930 for the awesome camera and office and a Nexus 5 / 6 (if it's released) for the apps I need.

I might pickup a mid range Lumia to play with Win8.

So the Lumia devices don't encrypt any of your data? BB, Android, iOS encrypt / give you option to encrypt your device straight out of the box, why not Lumia'?

also worth noting that Office is now free on Android devices if I recall correctly.
The mid-range offerings are fine options as well.

Currently now, any Windows Phone I believe, Lumia's included do not have the option to encrypt immediately available to consumers.
Unfortunate, considering enterprise users have the option. There is no official explanation. But if its any consolation, Windows Phone 8 has yet to be "jailbroken"/rooted on any current generation Lumia. (WP7 is a different story)

TheMightyCraken

May 6, 2014
Visit site
well if you just wanna dip your toes into the WP ecosystem for $59 just go for the Nokia Lumia 520 at the Microsoft Store. Then you can jump to the 930

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

sorry for bumping "old" thread, but I will return my L920 and I am not sure, what should I buy next. I was thinking about Lumia 830 / 930 / 1020, HTC One M8 (if it was available in EU :() and also about BlackBerry Z10.

Can anyone compare, let's say, L930 to Z10? Here in Czech Republic the price is like $270 for Z10 and $650 for L930. My main requirements are smooth system, "basic" social apps - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vine... Good looking photos (I saw some comparision Z10 vs iP5 vs S3 and Z10 did very good job for its price, but I don't know about low-light).

Thx for any info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa