According to Thurrott on WP 8.1, this is it.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Soooo, let me get this straight - you want it quick & fast ?

There is much more integration as we progress, thus more of the OS to go wrong. Personally, I LUV WinPhone 8.1 Dev Preview, it's been stable since 3 days in & I look forward to the Nokia Lumia enhancements with Lumia Cyan. I would imagine a good percentage of the issues (75% ?) revolve around non-optimized / non-upgraded apps you may be running on your device.

Reality SUCKS, but the takeaway is - you rarely get it GOOD & FAST unless you throw major $$ at it, with commensurate skilled manpower. I emphasive the skilled because WinPhone 8.1 is a departure from WinPhone 8. They've removed features of the OS, relegated them to super app status, to allow for updates / bug fixes quicker - they update the app without a GDR (OS) update. Only time will tell, but in approx a month, you should have (carrier / region dependent) the full blown WinPhone 8.1 update & for Nokia (MS) phones, the Lumia Cyan enhancements.

It is supposed to be quick and fast. It's adapt or die in the smartphone market. Being slow hurts your platform not help. We don't even know when 8.1 will go OTA for carriers in the U.S. I know how everyone is all fine with the DP now, but I remember how everyone had a LOT of problems at first. Battery drain to lag to freezes.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Honestly? I would break my self-imposed limit on bigger devices to get the new Samsung S5 Active if it ran WP. It would be nice if we had capable hardware like that.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Honestly? I would break my self-imposed limit on bigger devices to get the new Samsung S5 Active if it ran WP. It would be nice if we had capable hardware like that.

The S5 isn't that much more capable hardware wise then the icon and 1520. The 801 isn't that big of an improvement over the 800, now Windows phone +805/811 now were talking.

As far as an OTA in the US it will happen but knowing AT&T and big red we will be lucky to see it before 2015 unfortunately.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The S5 isn't that much more capable hardware wise then the icon and 1520. The 801 isn't that big of an improvement over the 800, now Windows phone +805/811 now were talking.

As far as an OTA in the US it will happen but knowing AT&T and big red we will be lucky to see it before 2015 unfortunately.

It isn't that big of a difference but the 801 is faster than the 800 and has a better gpu.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Here is a more in depth look:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7846/...-snapdragon-800-and-801-clearing-up-confusion

Real world performance its not that big of a difference there sport.
I was all excited when the G3 was dropped (I have a G2) till I found out it had the 801 and performance wise its not that big of a difference between it and an 800, overclock the 800 and the gpu and your right with the 801, the 805 is the game changer. The only edge the 801 has is its more battery friendly.

And truth be known with a good kernel and proper tweaking you can get the 600 damn near as fast as the 800.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
So I read this story from Paul Thurrott about the latest update and in the story he said definitively, this OS we currently run is it. This is it. I've heard others in the forum say this was it but Thurrott has more at stake than a voice in this forum. IOW, He is pretty much on-point on all things Windows. Anyway, the word "lugubrious" comes to mind after reading his blog. Anyway, I hope there are some spanking new devices are announced when 8.1 hits the masses. Some bad A features we don't yet know this phone can do or some mind blowing innovation in the OS.

I've had this thought that the new CEO might be looking over the landscape at the 94 percent split between IOS and android and decide he can't risk his leadership and financial investment it will take to confront that reality. I don't yet know if Nadella is that fearless leader yet. I can't tel if he has the the backbone or the stones or just another policy wonk. I need to know if Microsoft, specifically the new CEO is serious about WP. I don't mean "yeah we got one too" kind of serious, I mean ride or die serious. Time will tell..and the clock is ticking.

I didn't get a sense for Paul being mournful or something like that in that particular post, so I am a little confused by that. I can understand feeling that way given the problems WP has in scratching out increased market share. As far as Thurrott I read his material fairly often. He has good ties to MS and his information seems to be quite good most of the time. I do have some fairly serious questions about his analysis AT TIMES. At times I think he gets it pretty wrong. And as far as his response to criticism, he's kind of hideous....

Ok. Microsoft certainly shelled out a lot of money for Nokia's Device and Services division to back away from it. HP did the same for Palm and webOS and ended up bailing on it quickly. However I just don't see MS doing the same. If so they need to "get off the pot" fairly quickly and stop "sending good money after bad" as soon as possible. I hate to simply repeat the idea that MS has a long term vision that they realize may require losses to achieve, however I just don't feel that their actions betray a desire to walk away from the WP project. Are they doing the world's best job of executing on the project? Wait, let me pause to stop laughing.... There's always problems with any attempt to do anything, whether for Microsoft, Apple, or the VA Hospital System. However from my perspective, I think for the moderate term there is no question about MS's desire to stay the course.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
.Ok. Microsoft certainly shelled out a lot of money for Nokia's Device and Services division to back away from it. HP did the same for Palm and webOS and ended up bailing on it quickly. However I just don't see MS doing the same. If so they need to "get off the pot" fairly quickly and stop "sending good money after bad" as soon as possible.
None of the outsiders truly know the reason for Microsoft's purchase of Nokia. It could be for their products and services, their portfolio of patents, or a defensive block to prevent another company from doing so.

I hate to simply repeat the idea that MS has a long term vision that they realize may require losses to achieve, however I just don't feel that their actions betray a desire to walk away from the WP project. Are they doing the world's best job of executing on the project? Wait, let me pause to stop laughing.... There's always problems with any attempt to do anything, whether for Microsoft, Apple, or the VA Hospital System. However from my perspective, I think for the moderate term there is no question about MS's desire to stay the course.
Microsoft has a long track record of re-re-re-rebooting their mobile operating systems. I've been using and developing for their mobile OSes since 2000. I'm painfully aware of how suddenly they drop and restart their mobile OS. Seems to be on a 4 year cycle. I see nothing in Microsoft's corporate culture to indicate that things will be different this time around. Especially since there is the inertia of project development... many times in a F500 company, projects must be carried out to completion (for financial, contractual, and legal reasons) even if the decision has been made to kill the project. The Kin was such a project.

Just to refresh everyone's memory:
Windows Mobile 2003 : June 23, 2003 (1st Windows-based smartphone OS)
Windows Mobile 5 : May 9, 2005
Windows Mobile 6: February 12, 2007
Windows Mobile 6.1 : April 1, 2008
Windows Mobile 6.5: May 11, 2009
Windows Phone 7: November 8, 2010
Windows Phone 8: October 29, 2012
Windows Phone 8.1 : April 2, 2014

That's not including PocketPC 2000 released in 2000 that was the foundation for everything that came afterwards.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Real world performance its not that big of a difference there sport.
I was all excited when the G3 was dropped (I have a G2) till I found out it had the 801 and performance wise its not that big of a difference between it and an 800, overclock the 800 and the gpu and your right with the 801, the 805 is the game changer. The only edge the 801 has is its more battery friendly.

And truth be known with a good kernel and proper tweaking you can get the 600 damn near as fast as the 800.

Of course there won't be much of real world difference outside of heavy 3D mobile gaming. But the more battery friendlier processor is just that, more battery friendly compared to the 800. Even then the 805 ain't coming until late this year or early next. And it will be in Android first at that.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I'll take *** beating performance over battery life any day lol.

Yes I know when the 805 hits, it was supposed to come out with the G3 but now I will have to wait for the G4 or the next HTC because ill never own another Samsung phone. The 64bit chips will be a game changer for both android and Windows phone, just hope Microsoft is smart enough to put it in there at least top end phones when it comes out because lets face it most people are horsepower freaks.

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
If updates to 8.1 are over, i am going to some other platform as soon as i can, because i can't stand random freezing in urgent moments. The phone just freezes and won't respond to any button, or touch or anything it simply doesn't work. WP8 was much better, just shame it had less features than 8.1... P.S. I have ATIV S

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
None of the outsiders truly know the reason for Microsoft's purchase of Nokia. It could be for their products and services, their portfolio of patents, or a defensive block to prevent another company from doing so.

Microsoft has a long track record of re-re-re-rebooting their mobile operating systems. I've been using and developing for their mobile OSes since 2000. I'm painfully aware of how suddenly they drop and restart their mobile OS. Seems to be on a 4 year cycle. I see nothing in Microsoft's corporate culture to indicate that things will be different this time around. Especially since there is the inertia of project development... many times in a F500 company, projects must be carried out to completion (for financial, contractual, and legal reasons) even if the decision has been made to kill the project. The Kin was such a project.

That's not including PocketPC 2000 released in 2000 that was the foundation for everything that came afterwards.

Even more reason why I think WP is a Microsoft pet project, just like RT is but now its looking like it was.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Even more reason why I think WP is a Microsoft pet project, just like RT is but now its looking like it was.

Yeah I don't understand what Microsoft was thinking with RT because it is useless when there are full Windows 8 tablets as low as $100. I don't think any manufacturer besides Microsoft and Nokia have a RT tablet at that. It shows OEMs don't have confidence in it. On the other hand part of me believes Microsoft put out Windows Phone to test the smartphone market waters. I think they are going to increase efforts there next year. But hopefully for them it won't be too late.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

So Microsoft has been in the mobile space for thirteen years and what they are going to walk away from it? They've moved WP's kernel from WinCE to WinNT and are moving to unify the stores and simplify the app development process across multiple platforms and you think WHAT?

Yes, we are going to see tweaks and further development. Yes, no doubt we will see a WP9. However we have a baseline product that MS is committed to and will continue to develop and support.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I personally had a lot less trouble with WP7 than with WP8. For one thing, there wasn't nearly as much to go wrong. It was quite barren feature-wise, but it worked pretty good. The more there is, the more there is to go wrong. WP8.1 is adding features similar to Android, and along with that it's getting Android's initial teething problems.
Maybe but unlike android it still runs smooth on minimal hardware. And their latest version, wp8.1, doesn't require the newest quad core to ru. Decent. Works great on my two core wp920

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz