Wp 8.1 update coming soon

Riley2521

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I swapped my 1020 running 8.1 at AT&T for a 925 and they never said a word about it. I'm thinking they probably just wipe and reflash them regardless before resale.

Adirocks

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
check dis out
mheys5.jpg

LeopardSurd

May 30, 2014
Visit site
What about non-Nokia devices? HTC and Samsung WP devices received the official GDR3 faster than the Nokia devices with the Black update (the modified GDR3 by Nokia).

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Correct me, if I'm wrong, but I'm quite certain Joe Belfiore posted on Twitter that it actually doesn't void your warranty. Didn't even WPC write an article about that?
But even if it did, as long as you're using a Nokia, you're good, since you can restore your device back to WP 8.0 using the Nokia Tools.

https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Nokia/Preview-for-Developers-Early-Windows-8-1-upgrade/td-p/151153

Well you're beta testing so if the beta/developer preview damaged the phone then yes it would void the warranty as it's not official. The chances of it doing damage that isn't repairable by reinstalling an official release though would have to be low enough, although yes there is a risk.

mojo321

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Nokia/Preview-for-Developers-Early-Windows-8-1-upgrade/td-p/151153

Well you're beta testing so if the beta/developer preview damaged the phone then yes it would void the warranty as it's not official. The chances of it doing damage that isn't repairable by reinstalling an official release though would have to be low enough, although yes there is a risk.

Here we go with the word "beta" again. I don't think the word beta is used anywhere in any of the developer preview documents. Unless I am wrong.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Here we go with the word "beta" again. I don't think the word beta is used anywhere in any of the developer preview documents. Unless I am wrong.

The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.
Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, prototype, technical preview (TP), or early access. Some software is kept in perpetual beta—where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release.

Software release life cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like the DP and beta are pretty the same.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
So according to that since we already have the developer preview we will only get the cyan update. I don't agree with some that are saying the DP is "beta" . This kind of confirms that. If it were "beta" then we'd be getting the final first. Hopefully the cyan upgrade will fix our issues.

lum5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
WP 8.1 releasing this month confirmed....today went to Nokia care...they told will comes this month...size will be nearly one gb
..not 100% sure ...from India.....

Deviantelf

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

I don't recall "beta" being used. However in the Terms and Conditions it states: "Non-Commercial Quality. The Deliverables may be prerelease and may not be compatible or work as well as a commercial, retail offering. The Deliverables may not work correctly and are not intended as a substitute for your primary means of telecommunications."

Which sounds an awful lot like a beta release. It also warned you of that last part "not intended as a substitute for you primary means of telecommunications" blatantly during the sign up process. I remembered that, but a quick search found it also in the terms and conditions.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The Deliverables may not work correctly and are not intended as a substitute for your primary means of telecommunications."

Which sounds an awful lot like a beta release.

No. The preview is far past the beta stage. The preview is fully tested and feature complete. Feedback isn't intended to make its way into the this version of WP, but rather into WP8.1 update 1. The only exceptions are show stopping bugs that limit the usability of a device, which MS hopes don't exist, but might (and did).

What people can't wrap their head around, is that the OS can be absolutely perfect, yet still offer a flaky experience, because our devices still have the 8.0 firmware. That will only change after OEMs release their firmware. Until that happens, many problems will remain, no matter how good the OS is. That is what the text you quoted is refering to.

The term "beta" denotes the purpose of a specific version of a software product, not necessarily the reliability thereof. The WP8.1 preview doesn't serve the same purpose as beta software.

mojo321

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: I just used the Nokia Software Recovery Tool and it was so easy. It wiped my phone completely and reinstalled 8.0. It was TOO easy. Now I will send my defective phone back with no stress or worry about the warranty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos