Wp going for mass market

Dennis LOH

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
QUOTE & UNQUOTE "Microsoft's VP for OEM partners Nick Parker went out at the Computex expo, and said something that is music to every geek's ears - prices will be falling. This goes both for 7-10" tablets with Microsoft's operating system, and for Windows Phones.
"We?ll reach price points that are very industry competitive for 7, 8, 10-inch devices. They will really surprise you. Last year, we were in the 3s, 4s, 500 dollars. This year, we?ll be 1s, 2s, 3s," he said, during an interview after his Computex keynote. As for Windows Phones - some models will be selling below $200 this year, without any carrier subsidies."
It seems to me that Microsoft's strategy is to increase their market share by means of going down market especially in developing markets with really cheap Window phones. Their best selling model is the Lumia 520 which is at best classified as low-middle tier phone. They know that for now they just can't compete with iOS & Android in the top tier market. Also they are trying to get hardware manufacturers on board to make WP like Sony & HTC.
IMHO, I do not see any flagship phone from Microsoft at least until Q1 / 2015. The 930 which is not even officially launch will be the flagship for the time being. Cheers mate!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, I do not see any flagship phone from Microsoft at least until Q1 / 2015. The 930 which is not even officially launch will be the flagship for the time being. Cheers mate!

I'm not a big fan of the 930. It's overpriced for the hardware that is half a year old, it's after all just a worldwide release of the Icon which is a smaller release of the 1520, which was announced in October 2013.

It might make sense to focus on low-cost phones, but prestige comes from high-end. Not having a real high-end Windows Phone option is a mistake in my opinion. It doesn't have to be from Microsoft either, but there's just nothing on the horizon so far.

Personally I'm more of a high-end person. When I buy a new phone in autumn I will only consider the 930 if it has had an enormous price drop until then, and should there be no alternative high-end phone Windows Phone won't be an option for me anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon