Weird wakeup delay between two phones

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I have two Windows phones - an Icon (929) and an HTC 8x. I had updated the Icon some time ago and noticed that while everything else seemed to work well, there was a variable delay when waking it up. Sometimes it was almost immediate, sometimes it took up to 3 seconds or so. Finding this annoying, I rolled it back to 8.0 and forgot about it.

Yesterday I tried the preview on the 8x. I thought for sure since compared to the Icon the 8x is an old dog, it would be draggy and slow and it would for SURE have the delay. Nope, I was wrong again. The update took a LONG time, but when it was complete it ran beautifully. Everything was smooth and fast, not a single stutter. NO wakeup delay either. At all. Ever. The hardest thing about waking the phone was finding that darned power button. So I thought hey! The new preview release fixed it. Yeah, you know where this is going. I wiped the Icon, installed the update and.... long, variable startup delays. Very very weird problem. If anything I thought it would be quicker on the Icon. But once wakened, both phones seem about the same in performance! Just the delay on the Icon keeps it from being great. I'm leaving it on the 8x - thinking about rolling it back (again) on the Icon. I'm going to guess that delay will remain until official release along with other firmware changes specific to the Icon. It seems to me it has to be specific to the Icon/929, since I haven't heard of it on the 928 and don't see it on the 8x.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the same delay with my Icon as you but it's more prominent since the last two updates than the initial release of the DP.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I have the same delay with my Icon as you but it's more prominent since the last two updates than the initial release of the DP.

Mine also. Didn't have it at first but as the days went on, the delay gets longer. It's over 3 seconds now. Not a killer problem but is a bit annoying.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Only happens when WiFi is on, and only happens on certain WiFi networks for me.

That doesn't eliminate the mystery of why it happens with the Icon and not the 8x. Both had Wifi on and both were on the same wifi node. There is just something weird about that Icon. I can't wait for the official release from Verizon. If the delay goes away, I will be really happy. 8.1 is awesome. As it is, it made the 8x a fantastic little phone again. Go get one, put 8.1 on it and you will have a really good performing, inexpensive and compact Windows phone.

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I think its the drivers issue. My Lumia 1020 has no issue waking the display up by pushing the power button. My Lumia 1520 on the other hand takes a few seconds. Both phones are on the latest WP8.1.

1oldtimer

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I think its because you might have Cortata pinned to the start screen. I removed Her from my start screen and ALL issues are gone. Give it a try and see if it clears things up.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
OK, finally did the experiment. I put 8.1 on a Nokia 928, HTC 8X and Lumia Icon. 8.1 actually runs BETTER on the 928 and 8x than it does on the Icon. The Icon gradually develops a wakeup delay of several seconds (variable) while the 928 and 8x never have any delay when they wake. They are all set up identically, all have Cortana OFF. Once awake, for all practical purposes they all perform identically - very fast and smooth. In fact the 928 is now my favorite phone, with the Icon sidelined until the wakeup delay gets fixed.

I wiped the Icon and tried loading it again - same thing. There is definitely something wrong there somewhere. Maybe when Cyan comes out and patches firmware it will be better. But right now it seems to me the best Win8.1 phone is a 928!

wkgray

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my Icon. The wake up problem only happened on initial wake up when I got up in morning. Once I got phone to wake, it noticed that most of the live tiles were functioning as they should, but the clock app (Clock Hub) I installed was stopped around 3-4 am. I uninstalled the app and my Icon hasn't had the wake problem since. Don't know this has anything to do with the problems ya'll are having, but it seemed to fix my Icon.

zigzagr63

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I have tried everything I found in another post and I am still having a "resuming" delay when I first turn hit the power button. The overheating, battery sucking issue is to be determined. I'm hoping it at least helps with that. Anyone else have suggestions? I wish I could have tried WP 8.1 on my 1020 to see if this is a phone\OS issue or just a WP8.1 issue itself.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have tried everything I found in another post and I am still having a "resuming" delay when I first turn hit the power button. The overheating, battery sucking issue is to be determined. I'm hoping it at least helps with that. Anyone else have suggestions? I wish I could have tried WP 8.1 on my 1020 to see if this is a phone\OS issue or just a WP8.1 issue itself.
Do you have the live lock screen beta app installed and running? I ask because this app caused the issue you described on your phone. If so uninstall it then re-enable kids corner and that should fix it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99