Can Developers/Microsoft please....please stop making every app transparent?

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
For all the haters on this thread go look at the comments for the Xbox video update and you will see the majority of people want the option to add the green tile back

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not trying to impose nothing, I just write here my opinion. Should I repeat it again?

Ok, I'm agree with you when you complaint about some feature, I think, about this, it is just a accept the changes. Now, Microsoft is listen you, tools like uservoice can be useful.

Hahahaha... You make me laugh with your ironic sentence. Ok, I guess you don't understand my point.

Arda Ozkal

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
wow much dislike. but I used to make my tiles much transparent, now I'll keep making them much transparent. Wow, much doge here.

Arda Ozkal

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Only that those are arguably unnecessary changes that are based on taste. It's annoying, not scary.

Or do you accept everything with this argumentation?

"Well, my company decided to pay me less, but it's only a change, I can't be afraid of changes, I'll get used to it!"

Everything has a reason, if it doesn't have a good reason, then It's time for change, change your job.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There is already this option at Design Time by the Developer. If its not included its because the Developer chose not to.

For those that don't know or don't understand.

9.9 times out of 10 the color you see on a tile isn't a color but an image on a transparent background. It has been this way all throughout WP. The only thing Microsoft changed was the ability to throw on a Start Screen BG image. If you remove the BG and the tile uses the Accent Color instead of a colored bg image, its because the Developer WANTED it that way.

Arguing that Microsoft should add an option to WP to edit each apps tile to a color you want is not reasonable thinking when you think of the amount of apps there are for WP. Which is why my previous post I said that Developers should add the option themselves. It's not alot of code nor hard work to do it app side.

Blaming Microsoft for everything is a bit of reaching. In the case of the Video Tile, sure, its Microsoft's Video App Team that botched by not giving users options but Microsoft as a whole I think, has done an exceptional job at trying to please the masses.

And no, telling users, if you don't like transparency then use the accent color.... doesn't help solve the issue. I personally can't stand using the accent color myself and use transparent tiles with a Start Screen BG but I agree, it isn't the answer to those that just want different colored tiles.

And OP, don't be so angry. At the end of the day, your lifes not going to end because a tile is no longer green. :)

Just my two cents as a Developer who knows exactly what it would take to give users options.

Thanks for understanding and the wonderful advice. I just don't know why some people can't understand this. They just can't force tue change on us, there should be options and that's what I'm asking for.....and people (dunno of they are kids) are taking it wrongly and telling me to stop using WP8.1. Did I install 8.1 because of transparent tiles?...soo lame for some to suggest this. Thanks bro for your wonderful comment....the people we need on our forums and on WP.

Arda Ozkal

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info...
And,I was not blaming Microsoft. I was telling about the app. There should be an option in each app to toggle between default colour and transparent tile. At present, we don't have an option to set default green tile for Xbox video(if we don't the set the accent colour-green or a third party shortcut ��). And this app is developed by Microsoft itself. Right.?

Afaik start perfect app can make colored tiles. It's based on transparency tiles but it has option to edit

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It's not a matter of stopping or not stopping. It's about OPTIONS. There should always be the option to turn the transparency on or off. And just using all solid colors isn't an option either. I like transparent tiles, but sometimes they don't all need to be transparent.

I agree. I'd go so far as to say this is an option the OS should enforce.

IMHO developers should be forced to provide both a transparent tile and specify a default colour for the non-transparent tile. The OS should allow users to replace the default colour with any other of their choice, on a tile-by-tile basis. I already made that suggestion two years ago. It seems so obvious...

armandojv

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Dude, it's simple: I like the transparent tiles, my tesis is "open your mind", what sentences part I did complaint in?

If the problem is about live tile, Microsoft is working on it; but you can't pretend an option into SO because it's impossible to manage this feature for individuals apps (talking about solid live tiles)

Im not arguing about nothing, just I don't understand why people complicates something that is not. I think I can to express my opinion here or in another thread, who are you to say me where o when?

Don't take it bad.

Regards.

It just bothers me, how we are trying to give a simple option that some devs have already added to their apps and you from the very beginning are just simply not being open minded about our small yet important to us situation. We are here arguing a solution, an improvement, something that MS doesn't even have to do in the OS itself. The devs are the ones that we are asking for, to help us OCD folks with lol. Yes, this also includes the Xbox video and music team, because they are giving us no choice in the matter. I appreciate your opinion, but they are not very productive in our situation. If you read every post, non of the suggestions work for what we are asking for. I am done, no more repeating myself.

The Black Mamba

May 15, 2012
Visit site
It is scary that you have cannot realized that you are the closed minded one. I really don't like all tiles to be transparent. It actually hard to read the text if you don't have the proper image. Asking the option is not about whining, it what we called great user experience.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I for one welcome the death of that horrid Xbox Green and the equally horrible Skype Blue (hopefully).

Besides, transparent tiles are hardly an issue if you're clever enough with the background.

ULOP3Z

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
wp_ss_20140608_0001.pngwp_ss_20140608_0002.png
This is the reason I and many others love the non transparent tiles, don't get me wrong I also love the transparent ones too but I also like my start screen looking colorful and full of life, and to the guy saying "no way" to giving people an option to turn of transparent tile, really you're that selfish, let people have options

Smort

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Those who would like a solid background color of their choosing and maybe a different accent color (cyan start screen, magenta accent as an example)should try Theme+. It offers more color options than stock, but I'm sure some folks will complain about that as well.

anon(5340153)

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Those who would like a solid background color of their choosing and maybe a different accent color (cyan start screen, magenta accent as an example)should try Theme+. It offers more color options than stock, but I'm sure some folks will complain about that as well.

Some folks will complain because that is not what this thread is about in the first place.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It's not a matter of stopping or not stopping. It's about OPTIONS. There should always be the option to turn the transparency on or off. And just using all solid colors isn't an option either. I like transparent tiles, but sometimes they don't all need to be transparent.

there are apps to do that as well
forgot the name of the app in question

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss