Three things that will drive me back to android

Status
Not open for further replies.

streifenleopard

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
1. Music
Android has a wealth of decent music apps both paid and unpaid. WP does not have anything that comes close. What I need is: sync support with PCs and NAS, displaying embedded lyrics, scrobble to last.fm, rate tracks and sync rating back to the collection on the NAS, creating playlists on the device and transfer them to the NAS.
Currently XBOX Music and all other music apps will not recognize any sync efforts when it comes to playlists that I put on my phone using MusicBee (don?t tell me to use the WP desktop app; it?s not working on my pc).
I cannot even delete the content of the music folders on my phone ? probably the reason for this behavior.

2. File management
I want to use my phone as a usb-stick and access (ie upload AND download) files from my NAS. There are dozens of apps for android to do this, first of all the wonderful ES File Explorer. With DS File Station I can access files on the NAS but not upload anything, a limitation obviously imposed by MS and not by the app makers. How ridiculous is that?
I expected some improvement by Files but it does not have any potential in this direction. It even shows folders being empty which I can see as not empty when connecting the phone to my PC.
So sitting next to my PC and my NAS with my phone all I can do is either to connect the phone with USB (this is so 1999) or through Skydrive.

3. Calendar
Oh yes, the week view, you?re all going to say. But the fact that it seems to be such a step forward just shows how much behind MS really is. What I want (and what apps like Business Calendar for Android have had for years) is:
Display any given number of days together: in BC it is possible to view the upcoming 9 days and not just the week. It is so ridiculous that Outlook still will show you the last week on a Sunday. Why can?t I just scroll forward? When I have a look at my schedule on Wednesday I would ideally like to see all days till next Wednesday but not last Monday.
Set a template for new appointments. You can tell BC to make every new appointment 2 hrs long and you will have a dropdown menu of past locations to select from. This is so handy. In outlook what I do is: set the duration EACH TIME, delete 2 notifications EACH TIME, type locations I have typed a hundred times before.

4. Navigation
For sure, Nokia Here and Nokia Drive are supergreat apps considering that they are completely free of charge. However, I find them not easy to use.
Most of the time I use them to look up locations but saving locations is not soeasy and does not work across these two apps.
They take awful long to load.
There is no autocomplete when typing addresses as is the case with most navigation systems.
The most annoying thing is that they constantly remind you of switching on your GPS.
So for now my Lumia 620 will still do. But my next phone with all likeliness will be some low to middle range Android, maybe a Moto or a Sony Experia. easy and does not work across these two apps.
There is no autocomplete when typing addresses as is the case with most navigation systems.
The most annoying thing is that they constantly remind you of switching on your GPS.
So for now my Lumia 620 will still do. But my next phone with all likeliness will be some low to middle range Android, maybe a Moto or a Sony Experia.

Dario Federico

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Every person has its needs, maybe the OS that fits you better is android.
For sure these are improvements that Ms can do, but I don't feel that these are deal breakers for all people

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Bottom line, go with the device that causes you the least grief and makes you productive. Everyone has different needs. Nokia X perhaps?

Posted via the WPC App for Android! on BlackBerry Z30

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My opinion on every point you just made, WP is better than Android. Sorry you can't get you computer operating correctly, I guess you should go back to Android or IOS.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Um, that's four.

As others have pointed out, it's quite alright to move to Android, or iOS for that matter. I just switched from Android and there's not an Android phone out there that would have me switch back from the Icon.

Choice is good.

aiorialive

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Most people came from Android or ios hoping to see the same things...but WP is NOT the same, is better in many points. You should be learn more about the OS and ecosystem and I'm so sure you'll love it. Maybe asking in this
forums you learn how is. Greetings

jailman

May 14, 2013
Visit site
For me WP is pure class i like it more for the design and UI than functionality me am not expecting my phone to cook for me breakfast

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
1. Music
Android has a wealth of decent music apps both paid and unpaid. WP does not have anything that comes close. What I need is: sync support with PCs and NAS, displaying embedded lyrics, scrobble to last.fm, rate tracks and sync rating back to the collection on the NAS, creating playlists on the device and transfer them to the NAS.
Currently XBOX Music and all other music apps will not recognize any sync efforts when it comes to playlists that I put on my phone using MusicBee (don’t tell me to use the WP desktop app; it’s not working on my pc).
I cannot even delete the content of the music folders on my phone – probably the reason for this behavior.

2. File management
I want to use my phone as a usb-stick and access (ie upload AND download) files from my NAS. There are dozens of apps for android to do this, first of all the wonderful ES File Explorer. With DS File Station I can access files on the NAS but not upload anything, a limitation obviously imposed by MS and not by the app makers. How ridiculous is that?
I expected some improvement by Files but it does not have any potential in this direction. It even shows folders being empty which I can see as not empty when connecting the phone to my PC.
So sitting next to my PC and my NAS with my phone all I can do is either to connect the phone with USB (this is so 1999) or through Skydrive.

3. Calendar
Oh yes, the week view, you’re all going to say. But the fact that it seems to be such a step forward just shows how much behind MS really is. What I want (and what apps like Business Calendar for Android have had for years) is:
Display any given number of days together: in BC it is possible to view the upcoming 9 days and not just the week. It is so ridiculous that Outlook still will show you the last week on a Sunday. Why can’t I just scroll forward? When I have a look at my schedule on Wednesday I would ideally like to see all days till next Wednesday but not last Monday.
Set a template for new appointments. You can tell BC to make every new appointment 2 hrs long and you will have a dropdown menu of past locations to select from. This is so handy. In outlook what I do is: set the duration EACH TIME, delete 2 notifications EACH TIME, type locations I have typed a hundred times before.

4. Navigation
For sure, Nokia Here and Nokia Drive are supergreat apps considering that they are completely free of charge. However, I find them not easy to use.
Most of the time I use them to look up locations but saving locations is not soeasy and does not work across these two apps.
So for now my Lumia 620 will still do. But my next phone with all likeliness will be some low to middle range Android, maybe a Moto or a Sony Experia. easy and does not work across these two apps.
So for now my Lumia 620 will still do. But my next phone with all likeliness will be some low to middle range Android, maybe a Moto or a Sony Experia.

Um. That was four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel