WP 8.1 Podcast Native App

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had no problem using the podcast (Webcast, we're not listening on a fracking iPod!!!!) integrated into Xbox music. I had high hopes for the new individual app. While Xbox music has had several updates in 8.1, no love for the podcast (Webcast) app so far. No notifications when a subscribed webcast has been updated. No notification on the live tile. You have to go into the app and click on each podcast to see if a new one is in there. No way to organize the podcasts, alphabetically or any other way. Search sucks, I usually go to the website and subscribe via RSS. They need to bring back a store. In the past I've found new webcasts via featured and just browsing. They could keep the search function for those not in the store.

I've tried numerous third party apps but have always liked the simplicity of the old one.

What does everyone else think?

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any word on native Podcast App update?

I'd suggest keeping an eye on the WPCentral blog page. They will definitely post an article when they hear anything about a Podcast App update.

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any word on native Podcast App update?

I check it daily. Hoping very soon. Wondering if anyone else is trying to use the app and what everyone's thoughts are. Am I missing anything, not utilizing the app correctly?

simplescheme

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
You are absolutely right. Even while still a developer preview the complete multimedia experience, not only Podcasts, on WP8.1 is so bad that it's almost a shame to bring something like this to market. One can only hope that Microsoft comes to its senses and puts some real effort in the Music, Video and Podcast Apps. For me this will really be a dealbreaker as Music and especially Podcasts are a big chunk of my usage.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I had no problem using the podcast (Webcast, we're not listening on a fracking iPod!!!!) integrated into Xbox music. I had high hopes for the new individual app. While Xbox music has had several updates in 8.1, no love for the podcast (Webcast) app so far. No notifications when a subscribed webcast has been updated. No notification on the live tile. You have to go into the app and click on each podcast to see if a new one is in there. No way to organize the podcasts, alphabetically or any other way. Search sucks, I usually go to the website and subscribe via RSS. They need to bring back a store. In the past I've found new webcasts via featured and just browsing. They could keep the search function for those not in the store.

I've tried numerous third party apps but have always liked the simplicity of the old one.

What does everyone else think?

I think the built-in podcasts app in 8.1 is worse than the podcast functionality in 8.0's Music+Videos hub - but I also think that 8.0's podcast functionality was pretty bad, too. (Especially if you didn't live in the US, in which case it was non-existent, which is the very worst kind of bad.)

Every third-party podcast app I've tried out for any length of time (Podcast Lounge and Podcast Picker were the ones I spent the most time with) out-performed both the 8.1 and 8.0 functionality. I see no reason to sit around waiting for the built-in app to get useable when there are other better options available right now.

ryaoni

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I can't stand the new Podcast app in 8.1. Searching through each podcast to see if a new episode exists is killing me.

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the built-in podcasts app in 8.1 is worse than the podcast functionality in 8.0's Music+Videos hub - but I also think that 8.0's podcast functionality was pretty bad, too. (Especially if you didn't live in the US, in which case it was non-existent, which is the very worst kind of bad.)

Every third-party podcast app I've tried out for any length of time (Podcast Lounge and Podcast Picker were the ones I spent the most time with) out-performed both the 8.1 and 8.0 functionality. I see no reason to sit around waiting for the built-in app to get useable when there are other better options available right now.

Recently found ipodcast. It's a good app and shows number of new podcasts that have come out on the live tile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786