Soon tables will turn. Windows Phone Dev's will over power the competition.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Objective C is nothing but "small talk" 😊 sorry Apple. Java is cool but Java can't live outside a JVM sorry Android oops Google.

C++ is a cool alternative to C. But C# is better than C and C++ combine together. C++ ++1 over C. Haha
C# ++2 over C and C++ combined 😊.

Understand this principal and you shall understand that MSFT and Windows Phone will soon rule.

C#, XAML, HTM5, JavaScript are the computing languages of the future.

Clang, Jvac, Cli. Heavy weight championship of Compilers.

And the winner is?

Cli, oops my bad.

Remarkable.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone dev's let Droids and iOS devs know the power of Windows Phone.

Don't be shy. Blow off on the comments and make some noise..,

Lets hear it.....

Take my word. Apple is "Small talk" and Droids live and die in a JVM.

Only WP will live on for real.

Lets hear it...

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
MS has always had the better dev environment. It hasn't been enough yet.

Hopefully the unification of the store allowing apps to be developed for Windows and Windows Phone with largely the same code will encourage devs to give it a shot.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Hopefully the unification of the store allowing apps to be developed for Windows and Windows Phone with largely the same code will encourage devs to give it a shot.

I hope you are correct. It is a shame. I am tired of other dev's on other platforms out designing, out coding, out creating, out imagining MSFT devs. It is not acceptable.

What is the excuse?

At least you understand me.

Thanks

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

Huh? WP has the most annoying and restrictive dev environment ever. Just to install the SDK you need an x64 PC with Windows 8. That alone is probably stopping a good bunch of developers from developing for WP8. Anecdotally, there's a game I like on Android called Atomic Bomber - pretty simple game, easy to port I should think. I contacted the dev and asked if a WP port for my L920 was possible. He said he'll look into it and got back to me a few days later with this exact reason - he wasn't going to upgrade from 7 to 8 just to develop for WP.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Huh? WP has the most annoying and restrictive dev environment ever. Just to install the SDK you need an x64 PC with Windows 8. That alone is probably stopping a good bunch of developers from developing for WP8. Anecdotally, there's a game I like on Android called Atomic Bomber - pretty simple game, easy to port I should think. I contacted the dev and asked if a WP port for my L920 was possible. He said he'll look into it and got back to me a few days later with this exact reason - he wasn't going to upgrade from 7 to 8 just to develop for WP.

That's not much of a hoop to jump. It's just that the dev doesn't want to.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
That's not much of a hoop to jump. It's just that the dev doesn't want to.

But it's a hoop and enough of one to stop at least some devs from working with WP apps. I understand that you're defending Microsoft, but it is quite a pain to upgrade OS' even when there's a good enough reason. With WP in the situation it is, every possible dev with even a smidgen of interest in WP should have a painless way to get into the ecosystem and right now the pain of switching from W7 to W8 is not worth it to the devs IMO.

Lakshman Guntu

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Huh? WP has the most annoying and restrictive dev environment ever. Just to install the SDK you need an x64 PC with Windows 8. That alone is probably stopping a good bunch of developers from developing for WP8.

I am an ERP (Peoplesoft) developer and thought of developing apps for Windows phone. Above is the exact reason why I couldnt develop. I thought I can get serious about APP development once I START with a single app. But this single app is not working out.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

I used to think there would be a tipping point when developers would flood to windows8 (w8) because of unified development for desktop and windows phone (wp) applications too.

Now, I see it as a concept or theory that never came to fruition.

Not because of a lack of user base, developer interest, or dominance from android and apple.

The only reason I see that wasn't accounted for is that people just don't need or want applications for both desktop and mobile that do the same things. There are a few exceptions like Spotify and Facebook, but very few, and in my opinion, they are very rare.

How will Microsoft rethink their needs for unified applications ? I don't know.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I used to think there would be a tipping point when developers would flood to windows8 (w8) because of unified development for desktop and windows phone (wp) applications too.

Not because of a lack of user base, developer interest, or dominance from android and apple.

The only reason I see that wasn't accounted for is that people just don't need or want applications for both desktop and mobile that do the same things. There are a few exceptions like Spotify and Facebook, but very few, and in my opinion, they are very rare.

When they talk about universal apps, they mean "Metro" apps for Win 8, not "desktop mode" apps.

It makes total sense to be able to easily develop such apps for Win 8, Win RT, and Windows Phone.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk

Robert03

May 20, 2014
Visit site

I think the biggest problem for Microsoft is a lack "usability awareness" with it's home users in combination with a marketing strategy that is more focused on business instead of these home users. Combining platforms could be working out in a great way but you need to show people the way.

Take it for a spin:

I Microsoft creates a desktop, tablet, mobile app for cooking. It then shows how the app on the pc gives you all the information you need to prepare this food. Switching over to your Windows Phone it gives you the same info but with a shopping list you can use in store to check if you have everything and when you come home you click your Surface Tablet in a special placeholder in the kitchen while "cortana" can be used to scroll up or down the page, provides information and maybe set the timer during the cooking.

Promote it during one of the famous TV cooking competitions and go with it.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
When they talk about universal apps, they mean "Metro" apps for Win 8, not "desktop mode" apps.

It makes total sense to be able to easily develop such apps for Win 8, Win RT, and Windows Phone.

I understand that.

The point was:
The guy/gal developing a video editing application isn't going to gain mobile users, or rt users.

Just like the mobile Dev working on GPS nav won't gain desktop users.

The screen size dictates what people use on the devices, PC vs phone vs tablet have different uses for people, with different types of applications on each.

What is the incentive for developers to cross develop their application if this is true?

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I understand that.

The point was:
The guy/gal developing a video editing application isn't going to gain mobile users, or rt users.

The screen size dictates what people use on the devices, PC vs phone vs tablet have different uses for people, with different types of applications on each.

What is the incentive for developers to cross develop their application if this is true?

The limitations you describe may be the case for some apps, but not all.

An app like Tapatalk, for example, would work well cross-platform. Other apps like RSS readers, social media, calendar, etc. all make sense to have across all devices.

And as the previous poster said, you could implement different features for the same app depending on which platform you are using.

The way I see it, the ability to develop universal apps is a good thing and removes one less potential barrier to developers supporting the MS ecosystem. It also does nothing to hinder or discourage developers from developing for a single platform (Windows Phone only, for example).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Objective C is nothing but "small talk" �� sorry Apple. Java is cool but Java can't live outside a JVM sorry Android oops Google.

C++ is a cool alternative to C. But C# is better than C and C++ combine together. C++ ++1 over C. Haha
C# ++2 over C and C++ combined ��.

Understand this principal and you shall understand that MSFT and Windows Phone will soon rule.

C#, XAML, HTM5, JavaScript are the computing languages of the future.

Clang, Jvac, Cli. Heavy weight championship of Compilers.

And the winner is?

Cli, oops my bad.

Remarkable.

Your thoughts?

In an attempt to get this thread back on topic, I'm going to flat out disagree with most of those claims :wink:

Objective -C is nothing like Smalltalk. Just the fact that Smalltalk is dynamically typed puts it in a completely different category! Objective C is C with a messaging system on top that was borrowed from Smalltalk, but the language itself is firmly rooted in C.

Claiming that C# is better than C and C++ together also puts you on shaky ground. It depends what you want to do. Most of the gaming industry is firmly rooted in C++, and that has been true for so long that just claiming "tradition" or "don't want to change" doesn't cut it. In some industries, C++ provides advantages that none of the easier high-level languages you mention can compete with.

You trashed Java for being unable to live outside the JVM, but your favourite alternative has the exact same issue. C# can't live outside the CLR either. Same concept, same problems, same undeterminisitc behaviour at runtime. You can't trash one without trashing the other. That iOS apps use one of the languages you dislike (Objective C) is the main reason why iOS apps have very short startup times. Those apps have no runtime environment to initialize during startup, which significantly contributes to startup overhead on WP. Lengthy startup times can be traced directly back to the usage of high-level .NET languages like C#.

Of the four languages you claimed to be the computing languages of the future, only two are actually computing languages. HTML5 and XAML are declarative languages that are targeted at very specific problems. They aren't general purpose programming languages in the traditional sense.

In a nutshell, as long as we have operating systems, there will continue to be a need for lower-level languages (like C++). Some would call those high-level languages you listed toys :wink:

Either way, I don't think programming languages matter much. What does matter is market share. All else is close to irrelevant. Just the fact that Apple could get most of the world's developers stumbling over themselves to create apps in Objective C proves that.

Last edited:

Robert03

May 20, 2014
Visit site

Why should or could they not?

A desktop app could load the different routes and place them in a map on you system. In the Netherlands companies pay for the amount of km / miles a different % tax based on the routes etc.

At the other hand you could think of finding a shop by browsing on your desktop and load the address in the app that you use in your car for navigation.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The limitations you describe may be the case for some apps, but not all.

An app like Tapatalk, for example, would work well cross-platform. Other apps like RSS readers, social media, calendar, etc. all make sense to have across all devices.

And as the previous poster said, you could implement different features for the same app depending on which platform you are using.

The way I see it, the ability to develop universal apps is a good thing and removes one less potential barrier to developers supporting the MS ecosystem. It also does nothing to hinder or discourage developers from developing for a single platform (Windows Phone only, for example).

Agreed about Tapatalk, Facebook, internet specific things.

When you look at your list of installed desktop applications, and compare it to your phones, there aren't many that would be used on both.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Why should or could they not?

A desktop app could load the different routes and place them in a map on you system. In the Netherlands companies pay for the amount of km / miles a different % tax based on the routes etc.

At the other hand you could think of finding a shop by browsing on your desktop and load the address in the app that you use in your car for navigation.

Yes, syncing favorites by GPS cords or contact address is useful.

I've been using Google earth, gpsies, google maps, osm, basecamp, and a few others to plot routes, but they would be horrible to try and use on a mobile device.

It's almost too easy to dropbox the route, or just add the address to my contacts and let the phone's navigation handle the rest.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
But it's a hoop and enough of one to stop at least some devs from working with WP apps. I understand that you're defending Microsoft, but it is quite a pain to upgrade OS' even when there's a good enough reason. With WP in the situation it is, every possible dev with even a smidgen of interest in WP should have a painless way to get into the ecosystem and right now the pain of switching from W7 to W8 is not worth it to the devs IMO.

You said that it was one of the most annoying or restrictive dev environments ever. lol

If you want to make iPhone apps, what do you think you need?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb