Hard reset after latest 8.1 Update - battery life improved tremendously

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I did a hard reset after the latest 8.1 update and my battery life is amazing. I haven't charged my Lumia 928 since 9pm last Sunday night and I still have 30% remaining. I have all notifications on with banners, apps running in back ground and used it heavily.

With the easy reset and restore including your start screen, so easy and was a breath of fresh air for my phone.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Are saying to not allow battery saver to run in the background in addition to turning it off?
Yeah, that's what he's saying. a lot of folks including me found battery saver uses to much power. Sounds like your doing well tho the way you have it set as is. Just keep it in mind.
Its amazing what a hard reset fixes. More folks with issues should try it. To bad some of us can't hard reset our lives, no? :cool:

Wolfpacker24

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Im curious, did you restore from a backup, or did you just do a fresh install? Last time I reset my phone, I did it from backup and nothing changed, so i'm just wondering what you did.

spizzlee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Trying this on my L925 right now. Ever since I've updated to 8.1 the battery has been terrible. My L920 is perfect tho :(

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I did this on my ATIV S as I was getting about 15 hours max out of the battery, a factory reset got it back to the normal day to day and a half and that's without switching battery saver off just disabling background tasks for apps I don't have pinned.

This is something everyone should be doing after an update though as it clears out any potential issues related to battery life, the "I'll have to set everything up again" excuse is just stupid now as 8.1 automatically backs up your start screen layout and app list.

Also, turning battery saver off to save battery life is like putting a band aid on a broken arm!!!

Last edited:

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well i wish i cud follow ur hardreset thingy bt m afraid the backup wud fail again! Last time i lost all ma data since the backup failed!

Still will see after switching off the battery saver!

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
It's been almost a month since the hard reset....and I noticed my battery wasn't lasting long anymore. Today I noticed that you can stop battery saver from running on the background. Stopped it and 7 hours later I am still at 93% battery. I also stopped a few more apps from running in background too. I listened to Xbox music for 2 hours during the 7 today and have all my email and tile push notifications on.

Looks like disabling battery saver from running in background did the trick.

Thanks!

Daakkon

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
That's really strange. I did a hard reset on my 920 yesterday as my battery would only last for an hour, now everything works again. It seems like with the newest twitter update it likes to drain battery. :/

CharlieBoy1894

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
The battery on my lumia 920 averages around 10-13 hours only. I'll try hard resetting the device. I'm getting like 1% drain per 2 mins. when using the phone. I'm on 8.1 dp btw.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I so want to do this but, with the rumors/word that the FINAL 8.1 SHOULD be released at some point this month or next month, I have to wait. I don't want to redo everything right now, never mind application backup is worthless unless a dev updates their apps and I don't want to lose my game saves, again....

In fact, I am not playing some games that I want to be cause I have to do this soon, just wish the final would come sooner than later.

Yea, My ICON gets through a day with out a problem(might be able to get through 2 days if I don't use it that much and don't charge it at night), unless I am playing games or really heavy using it (and I do use it a lot)....

My biggest problem is the phone gets hot, if I use it for 5-10 min in one sit down, it will be so hot that it's almost uncomfortable to hold.

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Just disabling the battery saver app running in background has helped me for days now. I can unplug in the morning at 7am, use all day and have about 25% left at 11 pm when I plug it in again before go to sleep.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
We've shouted our throats out for last 2 months for everyone's benefit to hard reset after developer preview updates in order to get a decent battery life but no one listens. Then there are about 50 threads by users who actually see the benefit. Sometimes, reinventing the wheel is only the way forward.

hairychad

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I've done a hard reset and everything is looking good...
I'm only a couple of hours in though so can you clarify the battery saver?
A) battery saver if you get to 20% or less
B) battery saver app
C) Cortana battery saver settings
D) other

I think the root of the problem may have been the fact that the migrating the data during the upgrade (and updates) took about an hour and the hard reset took only a few seconds because there were no photos or anything...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss