Cortana gathering info in UK

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Cortana is simply switched off. Click on the search button and type Cortana Settings.

Your point being? Cortana isn't switched off, it's disabled everywhere except the US and typing Cortana Settings into search shows nothing but web results!!!!

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Your point being? Cortana isn't switched off, it's disabled everywhere except the US and typing Cortana Settings into search shows nothing but web results!!!!

If you swipe across to 'Phone' you can access Cortana settings that way. Still can't switch it on until release mind, but it's there still.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Given there have been updates to both the apps and the OS, people are probably just seeing something that was already happening in the background as a hidden process. It could also be as simple as a combination of that reality and having allowed Microsoft to collect data on usage - something is collecting the data and it could have whatever name they wish. I really wouldn't read it as an indicator that anything is forthcoming if it hasn't otherwise been announced.

BTW, I must admit I find it really rather creepy reading people refer to a bit of programming as "she" or "her." It is just an application embedded in the OS of an inanimate object. This is not, however, an exclusive WP/Cortana commentary. The ongoing trend across the first world to personalize the inanimate and de-personalize actual people is a very troubling trend.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
There is an old thread, I think in the Cortana section, that have discussed this. It has been like that since DP 8.1 was released. Mine is Philippines and I have both Notifications and Info gathering, and this country has been forgotten by Microsoft.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
BTW I have a presumption that these "Cortana info gathering" and "Cortana notifications" are somehow related to the Feedback option being enabled. Does anybody have Cortana 'stuff' in Data Sense with disabled Feedback?
My data plan is resetting tomorrow, so I will keep tracking it.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
BTW I have a presumption that these "Cortana info gathering" and "Cortana notifications" are somehow related to the Feedback option being enabled. Does anybody have Cortana 'stuff' in Data Sense with disabled Feedback?

Feedback is always disabled on my phones, I still have it.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I have it and I have never had a Facebook account or app.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Me. My feedback is disabled.

Carmonkeyboy

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
did you install dev prev on your 8x...I have. The dumb **** at HTC said that there will be no OTA updates for any 8xs that have had the developer preview installed. Do you know if the updates will still come via the dev prev or direct from MS?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss