8.1, AT&T, install dev or wait?

astro46

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a lumia 925, through ATT. Comes with 8.0. Update isn't giving me 8.1 yet.
I am wondering about installing the dev 8.1 rather than wait for ATT to get around to offering it.
1. Any downsides to installing dev 8.1 rather than waiting for ATT's 8.1?
2. I am thinking that installing dev 8.1 may give me the whole op sys, rather than a hobbled version from ATT (eg, the ATT 8.0 has Data Sense removed). Might this be correct?

comments?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a lumia 925, through ATT. Comes with 8.0. Update isn't giving me 8.1 yet.
I am wondering about installing the dev 8.1 rather than wait for ATT to get around to offering it.
1. Any downsides to installing dev 8.1 rather than waiting for ATT's 8.1?
2. I am thinking that installing dev 8.1 may give me the whole op sys, rather than a hobbled version from ATT (eg, the ATT 8.0 has Data Sense removed). Might this be correct?

comments?

Up to you but be aware that you may face battery drain, Wifi and Bluetooth issues as well as the phone heating up more than usual. The developer preview will give you everything but the Lumia Cyan firmware, that includes Data Sense.

If you do decide to install the DP then make sure it's plugged into the mains and leave it alone until it's done.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Do it. Do it now.lol But seriously while there are a few slight, nagging bugs for the 97% the user experience is worth installing the dev preview. But if you've waited this long a couple more weeks(guessing) shouldn't be a problem when the official 8.1 update starts rolling out with most of the bugs ironed out.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't see any reason why the ATT version would be "safer". If the update is going to cause any if the massive bugs, I would guess they would arise both ways. A device reset seems to fix the bigger bugs. I updated 2 phones and didn't get any big bugs, so...

I say get the preview now.

astro46

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
neo158, RaRa85: I guess that I am not clear about what on my phone is from Nokia and what is from ATT. I thought that Data Sense, for example, was part of 8.0, and that ATT removed it on the phones that it is selling. And that there might be other functionality removed by ATT. Not so?

I am happy to wait a couple of weeks or so for the upgrade. Question is whether I will be getting a more complete op sys by installing the dev version as opposed to one that comes from ATT. or does the upgrade not get filtered by ATT, so it doesn't matter.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
neo158, RaRa85: I guess that I am not clear about what on my phone is from Nokia and what is from ATT. I thought that Data Sense, for example, was part of 8.0, and that ATT removed it on the phones that it is selling. And that there might be other functionality removed by ATT. Not so?

I am happy to wait a couple of weeks or so for the upgrade. Question is whether I will be getting a more complete op sys by installing the dev version as opposed to one that comes from ATT. or does the upgrade not get filtered by ATT, so it doesn't matter.

The DP is the final version minus manufacturer firmware and carrier customisations so the removal of Data Sense is an AT&T customisation.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
But there has been at least one update to DP 8.1 besides the fix to get the two parts of the first edition of 8.1.

astro46

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I updated today to 8.1.
registered at appstudio.windows.com (a login that I use at ms forums worked ), downloaded the developer app. It then updated, then two more updates and done. Took maybe an hour.
So far all seems ok.
Thanks for the comments and encouragement to go ahead.

OHardy

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been updating my NL925 on WP8.1 DP Update, Update 1 & now Update 2. Only had Wi-Fi & battery issues with update 1.

Loving WP8.1 DP & having Cortana calling me by my Name.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon