What about access to filesystem and ability to execute one app from another on WP 8.x-9.0?

Ivan-Baraban

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I am Android user (HTC Desire, now HTC One X for 2 years) and my wife on WP 8.1 with her Lumia 1520. Her phone is really good, especially camera (on scenes with good lightning) & Windows phone 8.1 looks fresh & promising, but two things, as for me, ruins all impession: there are no normal (natural) access to filesystem (internal storage / sdcard) &, as far as I understood, one app couldn't run another one.

For example, if I want to read some fb2 book with FbReader, I have to add this book into FbReader library from CloudDrive or another source. In Android I could simply open fb2 file from sdcard. Another, more general result of the problems, stated above: if I have a folder with various kinds of documents, I have to run corresponding app & open file in this app instead of tap (long or double) on this file's icon in file manager. Run one app for one file, another app for another file... imho, looks a bit silly.

As a result, the new & official Ms file manager, "Files", couldn't be compared with practically any file manager app on Android. "Files" opens doc & xls files in Ms Office (at least it seemed to me so), but it opens images, audio & video with its internal viewers which have very limited functionality comparing with standalone apps. For example, mkv video playing with "Files" internal viewer, couldn't be repositioned (i.e. I couldn't tap on progress gauge to change playing position from 1 min to 4 min).

As for me, these two problems are real Ms's omission & without them I would buy WP phone with a pleasure.

So, question: what are the reasons of such Ms approach & are there any chances that these shortages will be removed in the next WP releases?

Little video illustrating user experience with TotalCommader on Android:
1) Copying files between folder, opened in two panes
2) Opening files using default apps (NB - standalone external apps)
3) Opening files by selecting the app
4) Copying files to PC.

labsii

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone is offering iPhone like quality of user experience and it requires iPhone like restrictions. The cost of freedom of Android is that system gets buggy and slow for most users (especially on low-end phones). It is a trade off and I don't think that Windows Phone is going to accept that trade off just like iPhone doesn't thought there might be some better workarounds in the future. It is up to you to chose - something that runs very smooth but has limitations or something that doesn't run that smooth but doesn't have limitations.

Still some problems that you mention are just poorly written apps. So, there is no limitation why app couldn't open something from sdcard.

Also it is possible to open a file with default app, apps can register to open some files. I think it should be even possible to chose which app to use to handle the file (though I am unsure if any file manager app implements that). So for that question, there is no system problem, just you might need to find the right file manager app (or it may appear in the future).

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
OP: Your suppositions are all wrong. Files shows that the file system can be accessed by apps if they have permission. VLC will be able to play an MKV from anywhere on it. Saying that, apps have Protected storage which you can't see. And this is a Great thing as it gives us security against malicious apps.

A completely open file system is NOT wanted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte