Why WP 8.1 Still Not Support Flash?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Indeed. And to be fair to WP, Flash only works on Android via a workaround. It's not officially supported.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
I had no trouble on android going to same sites I do on WP and flash was fine or something like flash worked fine anyway. No idea what work around your talking about it already works.Obviously this isnt going to drive me back to android but just saying if google can do this function just fine don't see why msft can't. Anoying to have to ask an android user friend to let me use his phone to go to some site to see flash working fine. I'm trying to promote WP among my android user friends not have them ridicule it for this seemingly stupid reason. Seems msft needs to get it together better.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
To me it's not hard to do a quick search on Google which would tell you that Adobe killed Flash support for mobile devices, this is also why old android handsets have it, why the PS3 has it and PS4 doesn't. Only Windows, OS X and Linux has flash support.

Blackberry supports Flash too. They implement it themselves. You can still use Flash on mobile devices, it just takes more work.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
To me it's not hard to do a quick search on Google which would tell you that Adobe killed Flash support for mobile devices, this is also why old android handsets have it.
My HTC ONE had it and its not old.
EDIT: If its a website issue not updating code for WP then it makes sense android works on these sites and WP doesn't. So newer androids just work fine without it I guess.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Security risk. iPhones have never had flash support natively. But their users are happy with their phones 'sigh' windows phone really needs a name change or it's going to keep being looked as a windows 8 phone. It's not actually PC windows on your phone. It's just a smartphone OS that looks like windows 8.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Your not alone. Same here. But like many mentioned on the thread. It is an Adobe problem for dropping support for mobile flash. Not MSFT.

Hope that the websites that you visit update their code in the near future.
Ok , so your saying its a website issue then and the sites have updated their code for android but not WP?
That makes more sense than anything since WP has always been the redheaded stepchild.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok , so your saying its a website issue then and the sites have updated their code for android but not WP?
That makes more sense than anything since WP has always been the redheaded stepchild.

No. Lol on IOS I purchased a special browser that supports flash. An appp if you will. But IOS doesn't support flash either. Try Safari see for yourself. I don't know about Android. Lol. perhaps is different there. Maybe Android users can elaborate.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Android users is flash supported on your OS. Or is an app purchase necessary to male flash work on Android? Please elaborate. Thanks

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Android users is flash supported on your OS. Or is an app purchase necessary to male flash work on Android? Please elaborate. Thanks
Checked my razr maxx which is around two and a half years old comes with adobe flash 10.3 installed. I'm sure my HTC ONE had it also, but can't check as I no longer have it.
So I guess my old maxx does better in that regard than my flagship icon? WTF?

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Some android OEMs put flash capability in native android browser. Eg. HTC One 2013 but that support was removed in subsequent updates. Google chrome doesn't support it, me thinks.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Checked my razr maxx which is around two and a half years old comes with adobe flash 10.3 installed. I'm sure my HTC ONE had it also, but can't check as I no longer have it.
So I guess my old maxx does better in that regard than my flagship icon? WTF?

Sadly, WP has the worst browser of all major platforms. Even as bad as Blackberry was, years ago, they pulled way ahead of WP in the browser department. I'd actually argue they offer the best browser experience now. Of course Safari and Android's offerings are all great, too. I'm a big WP fan, but they are way behind in browsing.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Cool I want flash also on Windowsphone. Give it to me. What must I do doggy? Elaborate?

I'm sorry, but we can't help you there. I've tried everything I know of on WP, and even a few things I didn't know. :unhappysweat: Nothing worked! First, you'll have to talk to Microsoft about allowing browsers on WP besides IE or IE wrappers. Then, talk to Firefox and/or Dolphin about developing an app for WP. Then, the WP OS might have to be opened to allow flash, IDK.

Google chrome doesn't support it, me thinks.

You thinks correctly. Chrome on Android most certainly doesn't support flash. I use Dolphin Browser (for flash content). It actually works quite well.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Sadly, WP has the worst browser of all major platforms. Even as bad as Blackberry was, years ago, they pulled way ahead of WP in the browser department. I'd actually argue they offer the best browser experience now. Of course Safari and Android's offerings are all great, too. I'm a big WP fan, but they are way behind in browsing.

It's about the standards on which mobile web browser's rendering engines are based. Both Safari and Chrome are based on WebKit which Microsoft calls Non standard. Since chrome and safari(android and ios) commands most traffic share from mobiles, all mobile web developers target their standard which leaves mobile IE engine eating dust.
As for flash, it is dead. Apple, google and Microsoft all agree on its vulnerability and none of them OFFICIALLY supports it on mobile versions of their browsers. It's the only thing they ALL agree on. Now it's up to developers to convert their flash content into html5 which is the new standard(at least for mobile).
In the meantime, you can search for html5 enabled websites for whatever it is that you are looking for. They will work fine on IE.

Last edited:

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I supported Flash on WP...but in 2011, 2012 and 2013... At this point, especially given the prevalence of catch-up TV apps for cable network channels, the need isn't really there anymore. And if you're not into legit video streaming, then look around, a lot of the methods network is on HTML5 ;)

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
You are insane. IE is superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786