Where is our new Skype app?

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Skype 5.0 has been released for iOS today, and Microsoft has made a big deal about it, but where is our new Skype app? Skype has been pretty bad on Windows Phone for a very long time now. Even the voice-to-video call transfer feature that was meant to come with WP8.1 hasn't been enabled yet. The lack of updates to Skype is really frustrating. I think it has so much potential on WP8.1.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Even the voice-to-video call transfer feature that was meant to come with WP8.1 hasn't been enabled yet.

Maybe because WP8.1 hasn't been released yet? We still have a Dev Preview, even the 630 users have a beta version of Cyan/8.1

Twitter/Skype/FB should use this pre-8.1 release period to exploit the millions of (free) beta-testers (exactly like Microsoft: they listen, they update Xbox Music, etc. frequently). Because when 8.1 is out, people will rant even stronger.

This being said, Skype is supposed to be Microsoft, so I can understand one wonders what on earth are they doing? :)

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Skype 5.0 has been released for iOS today, and Microsoft has made a big deal about it, but where is our new Skype app? Skype has been pretty bad on Windows Phone for a very long time now. Even the voice-to-video call transfer feature that was meant to come with WP8.1 hasn't been enabled yet. The lack of updates to Skype is really frustrating. I think it has so much potential on WP8.1.

From a team that took more than 3 years to code a week view in calendar, you want fast updates?

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
From a team that took more than 3 years to code a week view in calendar, you want fast updates?
they are busy making/updating it for iOS and Android. It's so slow on my 928 8.1. Sometimes when someone calls me and after pressing the Answer button it takes some time just to open Skype

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Maybe because WP8.1 hasn't been released yet? We still have a Dev Preview, even the 630 users have a beta version of Cyan/8.1

Twitter/Skype/FB should use this pre-8.1 release period to exploit the millions of (free) beta-testers (exactly like Microsoft: they listen, they update Xbox Music, etc. frequently). Because when 8.1 is out, people will rant even stronger.

This being said, Skype is supposed to be Microsoft, so I can understand one wonders what on earth are they doing? :)

Skype is run as an independent business. For all intents and purposes, they do as they please.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I dont use Skype much so it doesnt bother me really. But updating ios before wp is plain silly. Why should people adopt wp when even microsoft consider it second?why would developers take it seriously when microsoft apps are first updated on ios and android...i really like the platform but these kind of steps sends out wrong messages

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Come again, when was this announced?

It wasn't clearly announced BUT there's still missing features in 630

a) Joe Belfiore stated on twitter "WP8.1 sw is finished for the Lumia phones that started shipping a couple weeks ago.. and we're
testing the update code now. Fixes ongoing."

b) Look at this review of the 630 by the trustworthy Steve Litchfield. He says "Windows Phone 8.1 has been covered here in detail a number of times, of course, so it's a known quantity, though the Lumia 630 does have the distinction of being the first smartphone to ship with it on, out of the box, plus, in theory, the first to ship with elements of the Lumia Cyan update, though most modules I looked at were identical to those in my 1020 running Lumia Black and the 8.1 Developer Preview, so I'm sure there are Cyan applications and modules which will arrive in due course in an update." Nokia Lumia 630 review - All About Windows Phone

c) Ultimately, that WP8.1 roll-out for Benelux that was leaked by evleaks a couple of weeks ago indicated an update for 630 along with the roll-out for older devices.

I conclude that while 630 is running 8.1, not all the features are enabled (I can't be specific between OS or FW).

So to answer to your question, no solid proof, but a lot of consistent evidences.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't Joe's tweet actually say the OS is finished on shipping phones like the 630? And sites can be wrong so I'm definitely not going to take aawp's word as fact.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I only use Skype when I go away on business. Went to use it today and it was just the read-aloud voice reading words to me about ready to get started and using a MS account. When I press sign in it says "sign in"

What the hell happened?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I only use Skype when I go away on business. Went to use it today and it was just the read-aloud voice reading words to me about ready to get started and using a MS account. When I press sign in it says "sign in"

What the hell happened?

Sounds to me like you accidentally enabled the narrator in your ease of access settings.

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Skype is a battery drainer. I need to use Skype almost 8 hours a day. Since it is a battery hog. I moved to im+ pro with push and 2 Skype account online full time. They Work clever and the battery drain is too low.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Sounds to me like you accidentally enabled the narrator in your ease of access settings.
Nope, that was the first thing I checked. It's never been on. It's weird.

EDIT - I've just switched off the "enable Narrator with Vol Up and Start" and that cleared it. Very weird indeed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb