06-28-2014 06:11 AM
131 12345 ...
tools
    What sort of data usage do you have monthly? I went "stream only" nothing offline sort of attitude and ended up using 23 GB in a month on 3G! Thankfully have unlimited allowance but now I am on tethered plan for this month :(
    2 days left in my billing cycle.

I'm on WiFi most of the time.
    06-13-2014 12:09 PM
    They could have implemented notifications in the ME tile, I think it would have been better there.
    06-13-2014 12:45 PM
    There's no doubt all the extra features, including the Action Center for notifications, and Cortana, improved the Windows Phone OS, with 8.1.

IMO, though, since the update focused on getting the platform *away* from the hubs model that it was created around (see: all those 'Smoked by WP' commercials), and towards needing to launch an app for everything, the only thing that now separates Windows Phone from iOS or Android, is a preferance over one company's ecosystem and store of applications over another.

Personally, I'm not a fan-boy of anyone one company's, and my contention is, if you now need an app for everything, I see no reason to not move full time to iOS, for example.

Aside from Microsoft losing a customer, I don't see the point of WP any longer.

Not trolling, or raising a dust-up, just trying to start a discussion about the move away from the hubs model, and the potential upsides/downsides, and what will be the chief selling point for the platform.
    Did you seriously bought a WP for the pathetic hubs? Oh God.
    What about the beauty? Which other OS outstands WP when it comes to design? None. Closest is iOS 7/8. Android is a f###########king mess.
    Yes, the apps suck. I hate WP for this reason.
    06-13-2014 12:51 PM
    The thread is slowly turning into a OS war zone...even if no one means any harm to anyone, people have issues with other people having issues with the OS. Cool. So be it. Let the slaughter begin.

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.
    06-13-2014 01:05 PM
    Did you seriously bought a WP for the pathetic hubs? Oh God.
    What about the beauty? Which other OS outstands WP when it comes to design? None. Closest is iOS 7/8. Android is a f###########king mess.
    Yes, the apps suck. I hate WP for this reason.
    I did. Got a problem with that? NO one is saying WP is bad..

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.
    FinancialP likes this.
    06-13-2014 01:07 PM
    Android is a f###########king mess.
    The pure KitKat version on the Nexus 5 is actually pretty good. It's the OEM's that mess it up with their skins and all of the crap that they add.
    06-13-2014 01:15 PM
    Skype is getting a major update soon, Music and Video after getting updates, and no idea about your phone, my 920's pretty flawless.
    i hope it comes soon,itll be epic if it does
    06-13-2014 01:44 PM
    There's no doubt all the extra features, including the Action Center for notifications, and Cortana, improved the Windows Phone OS, with 8.1.

IMO, though, since the update focused on getting the platform *away* from the hubs model that it was created around (see: all those 'Smoked by WP' commercials), and towards needing to launch an app for everything, the only thing that now separates Windows Phone from iOS or Android, is a preferance over one company's ecosystem and store of applications over another.

Personally, I'm not a fan-boy of anyone one company's, and my contention is, if you now need an app for everything, I see no reason to not move full time to iOS, for example.

Aside from Microsoft losing a customer, I don't see the point of WP any longer.

Not trolling, or raising a dust-up, just trying to start a discussion about the move away from the hubs model, and the potential upsides/downsides, and what will be the chief selling point for the platform.
    MSFT had to go based on what the market demanded and the market indicated that the features and philosophy of 8.1 is preferable to that of 8.0,
    06-13-2014 01:56 PM
    MSFT had to go based on what the market demanded and the market indicated that the features and philosophy of 8.1 is preferable to that of 8.0,
    Exactly. People moaned about WP8 and the uselessness of the hubs. So they fixed it.
    06-13-2014 02:42 PM
    I disagree. At this point in mobiles life cycle no one is going to switch to WP because it is basically just like Android and IOS. We also lack the quantity, and more importantly the quality, of the apps that both Android and iOS have. So the action center, swipe text, and Cortana are welcome additions. However becoming 'similar' to Android and iOS won't help Microsoft.
    06-13-2014 02:45 PM
    I feel like a prerequisite for owning a windows phone is to have patience.
    I still use Windows Phone 7.8 and as long as 8.1 is incomplete, I might as well wait until 9.
    Ebuka Allison likes this.
    06-13-2014 03:13 PM
    I feel like a prerequisite for owning a windows phone is to have patience.
    Since most Americans demand immediate gratification and don't know the meaning of the word patience that is another strike against Windows Phone. Most people aren't willing to wait for the Icon to come to ATT, TMo or Sprint so they're buying the latest GS5, HTC M8, or waiting for the iPhone 6(I think patience in the Apple World is different since their release cycle is pretty fixed)>
    06-13-2014 04:00 PM
    Since most Americans demand immediate gratification and don't know the meaning of the word patience that is another strike against Windows Phone. Most people aren't willing to wait for the Icon to come to ATT, TMo or Sprint so they're buying the latest GS5, HTC M8, or waiting for the iPhone 6(I think patience in the Apple World is different since their release cycle is pretty fixed)>
    Patience? Hahaha 2 years to get an update from 8.0-8.1 all to get transparent tiles, a notification pull down, and some battery stats app that should have been in the system from day one.
    tapehead likes this.
    06-13-2014 04:25 PM
    UK. You might wanna apologize for insulting me now
    I bet you'll have some chance of that.
    06-13-2014 04:34 PM
    Now where did I put that extra popcorn I bought!!!!
    FinancialP likes this.
    06-13-2014 04:42 PM
    Now where did I put that extra popcorn I bought!!!!
    Got it here. A bit salty though
    neo158 likes this.
    06-13-2014 05:06 PM
    Way i see it is MS have been playing catch up for a few years. They started from the back and are committed to becoming leaders. The gap is very narrow now and MS are starting to demonstrate features that go beyond the offerings of iOS and Android eg 3d gestures backed up by the YEARS of Kinect experience. MS have many patents that im sure Apple and Google would LOVE to get their hands on and Satya seems like the man to continue the MS restructure to maximise their strengths. I think in 12 months time we will have very large grins and the Apple 'crew' frowns.
    06-13-2014 07:06 PM
    plus if cortana and other wp-exclusives make it to android and ios,its just not worth getting a WP then
    next they will release a start screen launcher with live tiles for android and a winterboard theme for ios
    06-14-2014 01:22 AM
    Seems like MS is more interested in making money off apps and software than competing at the hw level. Meh, what can ya do...if they fail move onto the next.
    06-14-2014 01:26 AM
    next they will release a start screen launcher with live tiles for android
    They did that a long time ago dude.

launcher8comparison.jpg
    06-14-2014 03:27 AM
    I don't think ' the one with the most apps' wins, because you need quality. A lot of Android apps are drop ins for system apps like keyboards and home launches.
    I think that's a very blinkered attitude. The fact that anyone who has a new idea for, say, a touchscreen keyboard can make it available on Android is a *huge* advantage for both Android and ultimately the whole industry.

For me, the swipe keyboard is the single greatest usability improvement I've seen on touchscreen devices. Android users have had access to them for four years or more, while Apple and Microsoft have only just caught up. So ok, it's no longer an advantage for Android, but if it hadn't been possible to make one for Android in the first place, we might never have seen this kind of innovation at all, and we would all, whatever OS we used, be stuck with whatever the OS provider had the resources and the desire to give us.

The key point is that by opening up the system, you give everyone (who can code) the chance to innovate and try out new ideas. With a closed system, only the OS provider can innovate, and with no disrespect to Apple and Microsoft, they are not the only source of good new ideas, and neither has the resources to try everything out.

Of course, not every new idea will be good. Facebook Home is a good example of a very bad idea. But it's great that they were able to try it, and even the bad ideas don't disadvantage users as they are not forced to use them.

Whether they use it or not, and whatever its pros and cons, all users benefit greatly from the existence of Android and its vibrant ecosystem. Without it, we would be stuck with just what Apple and Microsoft would deign to give us.
    bsbharath1987 likes this.
    06-14-2014 06:27 AM
    Once Apple comes out with a legitimate 5 inch phone we won't need to have this discussion, because there will be no need for a WP device. If Microsoft develops anything worthwhile for WP believe me they'll make it better for the IPhone.
    Last edited by phasar; 06-14-2014 at 07:13 AM.
    06-14-2014 06:49 AM
    Possibly.
    I don't know the reasoning behind it, whatever it is, but my argument or premise, I think, still stands: if the hubs are going away, and you need to launch an 'app' for most functionality, like on iOS or Android, what's Windows Phone's differentiating factor?

If the tiles are all that are left, and half the time most are static tiles, like glorified widgets, it's in trouble. IMO at least.
    No Apps, no integration, = no market share. Not to mention, the iPhone has an excellent camera 📷
    06-14-2014 06:54 AM
    Once Apple comes out with a legitimate 5 inch phone we won't need to have this discussion, because there will be no need for a WP device. If Microsoft develops anything worthwhile for WP believe me they'll make it better for the IPhone.
    I think you need to add the phrase "which sells for the price of the Lumia 520" after "legitimate 5 inch phone".
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 06-14-2014 at 08:05 AM.
    06-14-2014 07:14 AM
    I think you need to add the phrase "which sells for the price of the Lumia 520" after "legitimate 5 inch phone".
    In America you don't have to worry about the price because nobody is buying that 520.
    06-14-2014 09:51 AM
131 12345 ...