Windows Phone 8.1 improved WP, but it may have also killed it.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
y4abamut.jpg

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
they should fix the skype integration,xbox music,video,phone freeze issue since update 2 and 3,call drop issue,3G bug otherwise wp8.1 is a beautiful OS despite the issues i mentioned

Skype is getting a major update soon, Music and Video after getting updates, and no idea about your phone, my 920's pretty flawless.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
In a couple years, there will be little difference in features and specs across platforms. The major difference is going to be more on the root level of the OS, IE how they're programmed (native security, efficiency, and functionality based on kernel type, API, written language, etc).

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess it depends on each user's preference. I never used the 'hubs' and didn't even have the 'people' tile displayed on my home screen. I also never used the Xbox apps (not music, games or videos), since I prefer streaming (Pandora, Songza, Nokia Mix Radio+, Netflix) rather than purchasing music/videos and I subscribe to Nokia Mix Radio+, not Xbox music. So, in my case, I don't miss anything, since those were features I never used.

What sort of data usage do you have monthly? I went "stream only" nothing offline sort of attitude and ended up using 23 GB in a month on 3G! Thankfully have unlimited allowance but now I am on tethered plan for this month :(

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What sort of data usage do you have monthly? I went "stream only" nothing offline sort of attitude and ended up using 23 GB in a month on 3G! Thankfully have unlimited allowance but now I am on tethered plan for this month :(

2 days left in my billing cycle.

gade6aqe.png

I'm on WiFi most of the time.

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
There's no doubt all the extra features, including the Action Center for notifications, and Cortana, improved the Windows Phone OS, with 8.1.

IMO, though, since the update focused on getting the platform *away* from the hubs model that it was created around (see: all those 'Smoked by WP' commercials), and towards needing to launch an app for everything, the only thing that now separates Windows Phone from iOS or Android, is a preferance over one company's ecosystem and store of applications over another.

Personally, I'm not a fan-boy of anyone one company's, and my contention is, if you now need an app for everything, I see no reason to not move full time to iOS, for example.

Aside from Microsoft losing a customer, I don't see the point of WP any longer.

Not trolling, or raising a dust-up, just trying to start a discussion about the move away from the hubs model, and the potential upsides/downsides, and what will be the chief selling point for the platform.
Did you seriously bought a WP for the pathetic hubs? Oh God.
What about the beauty? Which other OS outstands WP when it comes to design? None. Closest is iOS 7/8. Android is a f###########king mess.
Yes, the apps suck. I hate WP for this reason.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The thread is slowly turning into a OS war zone...even if no one means any harm to anyone, people have issues with other people having issues with the OS. Cool. So be it. Let the slaughter begin.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Did you seriously bought a WP for the pathetic hubs? Oh God.
What about the beauty? Which other OS outstands WP when it comes to design? None. Closest is iOS 7/8. Android is a f###########king mess.
Yes, the apps suck. I hate WP for this reason.

I did. Got a problem with that? NO one is saying WP is bad..

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
There's no doubt all the extra features, including the Action Center for notifications, and Cortana, improved the Windows Phone OS, with 8.1.

IMO, though, since the update focused on getting the platform *away* from the hubs model that it was created around (see: all those 'Smoked by WP' commercials), and towards needing to launch an app for everything, the only thing that now separates Windows Phone from iOS or Android, is a preferance over one company's ecosystem and store of applications over another.

Personally, I'm not a fan-boy of anyone one company's, and my contention is, if you now need an app for everything, I see no reason to not move full time to iOS, for example.

Aside from Microsoft losing a customer, I don't see the point of WP any longer.

Not trolling, or raising a dust-up, just trying to start a discussion about the move away from the hubs model, and the potential upsides/downsides, and what will be the chief selling point for the platform.

MSFT had to go based on what the market demanded and the market indicated that the features and philosophy of 8.1 is preferable to that of 8.0,

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
MSFT had to go based on what the market demanded and the market indicated that the features and philosophy of 8.1 is preferable to that of 8.0,
I disagree. At this point in mobiles life cycle no one is going to switch to WP because it is basically just like Android and IOS. We also lack the quantity, and more importantly the quality, of the apps that both Android and iOS have. So the action center, swipe text, and Cortana are welcome additions. However becoming 'similar' to Android and iOS won't help Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo