Windows Phone 8.1 improved WP, but it may have also killed it.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I feel like a prerequisite for owning a windows phone is to have patience.

Since most Americans demand immediate gratification and don't know the meaning of the word patience that is another strike against Windows Phone. Most people aren't willing to wait for the Icon to come to ATT, TMo or Sprint so they're buying the latest GS5, HTC M8, or waiting for the iPhone 6(I think patience in the Apple World is different since their release cycle is pretty fixed)>

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Since most Americans demand immediate gratification and don't know the meaning of the word patience that is another strike against Windows Phone. Most people aren't willing to wait for the Icon to come to ATT, TMo or Sprint so they're buying the latest GS5, HTC M8, or waiting for the iPhone 6(I think patience in the Apple World is different since their release cycle is pretty fixed)>

Patience? Hahaha 2 years to get an update from 8.0-8.1 all to get transparent tiles, a notification pull down, and some battery stats app that should have been in the system from day one.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Way i see it is MS have been playing catch up for a few years. They started from the back and are committed to becoming leaders. The gap is very narrow now and MS are starting to demonstrate features that go beyond the offerings of iOS and Android eg 3d gestures backed up by the YEARS of Kinect experience. MS have many patents that im sure Apple and Google would LOVE to get their hands on and Satya seems like the man to continue the MS restructure to maximise their strengths. I think in 12 months time we will have very large grins and the Apple 'crew' frowns.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
plus if cortana and other wp-exclusives make it to android and ios,its just not worth getting a WP then
next they will release a start screen launcher with live tiles for android and a winterboard theme for ios

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Seems like MS is more interested in making money off apps and software than competing at the hw level. Meh, what can ya do...if they fail move onto the next.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think ' the one with the most apps' wins, because you need quality. A lot of Android apps are drop ins for system apps like keyboards and home launches.

I think that's a very blinkered attitude. The fact that anyone who has a new idea for, say, a touchscreen keyboard can make it available on Android is a *huge* advantage for both Android and ultimately the whole industry.

For me, the swipe keyboard is the single greatest usability improvement I've seen on touchscreen devices. Android users have had access to them for four years or more, while Apple and Microsoft have only just caught up. So ok, it's no longer an advantage for Android, but if it hadn't been possible to make one for Android in the first place, we might never have seen this kind of innovation at all, and we would all, whatever OS we used, be stuck with whatever the OS provider had the resources and the desire to give us.

The key point is that by opening up the system, you give everyone (who can code) the chance to innovate and try out new ideas. With a closed system, only the OS provider can innovate, and with no disrespect to Apple and Microsoft, they are not the only source of good new ideas, and neither has the resources to try everything out.

Of course, not every new idea will be good. Facebook Home is a good example of a very bad idea. But it's great that they were able to try it, and even the bad ideas don't disadvantage users as they are not forced to use them.

Whether they use it or not, and whatever its pros and cons, all users benefit greatly from the existence of Android and its vibrant ecosystem. Without it, we would be stuck with just what Apple and Microsoft would deign to give us.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Once Apple comes out with a legitimate 5 inch phone we won't need to have this discussion, because there will be no need for a WP device. If Microsoft develops anything worthwhile for WP believe me they'll make it better for the IPhone.

Last edited:

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Possibly.
I don't know the reasoning behind it, whatever it is, but my argument or premise, I think, still stands: if the hubs are going away, and you need to launch an 'app' for most functionality, like on iOS or Android, what's Windows Phone's differentiating factor?

If the tiles are all that are left, and half the time most are static tiles, like glorified widgets, it's in trouble. IMO at least.

No Apps, no integration, = no market share. Not to mention, the iPhone has an excellent camera 📷

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Once Apple comes out with a legitimate 5 inch phone we won't need to have this discussion, because there will be no need for a WP device. If Microsoft develops anything worthwhile for WP believe me they'll make it better for the IPhone.

I think you need to add the phrase "which sells for the price of the Lumia 520" after "legitimate 5 inch phone".

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
In America you don't have to worry about the price because nobody is buying that 520.

You can substitute the Lumia 520 with whatever budget phone you believe sells well. Personally I have a Moto G which I find excellent. If that still doesn't satisfy you, then I guess I'm just happy that apparently everyone in the USA has enough money to by the most expensive phone on the market, although somewhat disappointed that this is what they choose to do with their cash.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
In America you don't have to worry about the price because nobody is buying that 520.

Well, until the population of "Planet America" realise that there are other platforms besides those of Apple and Google then it will never sell will it. Fortunately America isn't the world and the rest of the world begs to differ!!!

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
What I find even more funny is the number of complaints about the features that MS has added that people have b@#$%d and moaned about for the last two years, and are now b@#$%ing and moaning that it now has. I am happy with 8.1 I like and don't like different things in the progressive builds, but on the whole my experience is getting better, and not that before it was bad. So, here is my thought - like it or dont. If you dont, move to another OS. But quit the empty threats - some of them are very empty. Now that is not to say that I dont like the discussion of "here are the areas where I am unclear what MS is trying to achieve and here is what I would like to see". This isn't so much about patience IMO, as it is progressive. I will be on board until something else that is better grabs my attention.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft can add anything and as long as its not WP7 people will complain. Yes, I said WP 7 because people apparently prefer the gutters and the large tiles as well. In sure you can find a few Windows Mobile diehards, in the corner with the Froyo lovers

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Action Center -
Cons : Defeats the purpose of live tiles. Sure notifications came late & the tiles updated every 30 mins or so...but now they only serve as dead icons now.
That doesn't have to be the case. Tiles, particularly large one, make it possible to convey lots of status information quickly. The Start screen is a dashboard, not just an app launcher. The Action Center provides a recent history of changes, but it isn't a dashboard, unless it's being misused by developers.

Here's an example of some informative wide tiles from our app. (We also have a tile that updates with photos.) It might make sense to note some of this information in the Action Center, but it doesn't make sense to keep it there -- that's what tiles are for.
Dragoncard tile.png
cc2e8aed-57b5-4e1b-82fe-e4d0b57f717c.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)