Huge Amazon device sale! Shop all the discounts now

06-17-2014 12:04 AM
51 123
tools
    Genuine question, not trying to make a point - is there any actual, verifiable evidence to support this claim? I have an Android device in front of me with 256MB of RAM and it works ok. Most apps run. It's smooth but sometimes very slow. Can WP run with so little memory? And also what is the point of running Android on the cheap, low spec Nokia X if WP would run more efficiently?
    Lumia 510 and 610 could run on 256Mb ram because of the optimised CE kernel and same story in WP8 with NT kernel , its better optimized for memory management . thats why l520 can operate smoothly and try a 512MB android on JB and watch it choke
    06-14-2014 02:49 PM
    WhatsApp opens instantly on my Icon and I never see the 'Resuming' screen. If it's slow on the 1020 I guess it's because of the slower older generation processor, or downright poor optimization on the developers part. The Lumia Cyan update might help optimize performance with 8.1, which itself already improves memory management.
    That means we need a flagship device for quick app opening? NO sir!
    06-14-2014 02:50 PM
    Lumia 510 and 610 could run on 256Mb ram because of the optimised CE kernel and same story in WP8 with NT kernel , its better optimized for memory management . thats why l520 can operate smoothly and try a 512MB android on JB and watch it choke
    Again, do you have some objective evidence to support the claim that Windows Phone can run with fewer resources than Android? For example, papers, technical specs, etc showing RAM and CPU efficiency of each system.

Btw, my experience is the exact opposite of yours - Windows Phone is dog slow (but the home screen is smoother), while Android is much faster (but maybe not as smooth) on comparable, cheap hardware. But that was before I used the Moto G - it's completely smooth in circumstances that WP is and much much faster.
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 06-14-2014 at 05:24 PM.
    06-14-2014 02:56 PM
    I had a lumia 710 and now a Lumia 520 .All of the apps are slow to open on both as compared to android. I use whatsapp a lot and there is a huge time gap between android and wp around 2-3 sec. Even fast resume on WP8 is slow! Is this an OS limitation? or lazy devs?
    Windows Phone 8.1 apps offer a 30% performance boost and also no longer have the stupid resuming screen so it will just be a waiting game for people to completely rewrite their apps from scratch for 8.1, if they don't then we won't see any improvements
    TechAbstract likes this.
    06-14-2014 05:20 PM
    Windows Phone 8.1 apps offer a 30% performance boost and also no longer have the stupid resuming screen so it will just be a waiting game for people to completely rewrite their apps from scratch for 8.1, if they don't then we won't see any improvements
    Since WP8.1 is being released this month. I reckon apps for WP8 will stop and they will move on to WP8.1 app development. Seems logical since every WP8 phone is getting it
    06-14-2014 05:33 PM
    Not my case on L720 8.0. Apps like whatssap resume instantly
    06-14-2014 05:34 PM
    Got to laugh and shake my head.

You buy the bottom line phone with 512MB ram and you expect it to be quick.
    Man the 5 series is just entry level.

Don't believe the hype!!!!!
    Blacklac likes this.
    06-14-2014 05:42 PM
    Got to laugh and shake my head.

You buy the bottom line phone with 512MB ram and you expect it to be quick.
    Man the 5 series is just entry level.

Don't believe the hype!!!!!
    The new Lumia 630 had better be quick. I have a Moto G and it's very fast. Even the Moto E (cheaper than the 630) is supposed to be pretty speedy. Real question is why anyone spends more than 200 euros on a phone today.
    06-14-2014 06:14 PM
    The new Lumia 630 had better be quick. I have a Moto G and it's very fast. Even the Moto E (cheaper than the 630) is supposed to be pretty speedy. Real question is why anyone spends more than 200 euros on a phone today.
    People will do it. Only because of This is better than that'. Even thought may not being true at all.
    06-14-2014 06:27 PM
    I'm not seeing the resuming thingy so much after wp8.1. Cyan will fix any ongoing issues. To answer your question, it is Lazy devs of course...... They can't be bothered to rewrite a whole app afresh for WP so they port it, leading to memory management issues. Plus you are using a 512mb device, use a 525 or 920 and you will never see the resuming screen.
    I've a 920 i see resuming screen every time i open whatsapp from background app switcher.
    06-14-2014 07:40 PM
    I've a 920 i see resuming screen every time i open whatsapp from background app switcher.
    Then there's a problem with the phone.... And the app itself. Try hard reset. Coz I never see the resuming on my 620 with just 512mb ram,WP 8.1 and all background processes turned off. WhatsApp devs are lazy anyway.
    06-14-2014 09:22 PM
    Again, do you have some objective evidence to support the claim that Windows Phone can run with fewer resources than Android? For example, papers, technical specs, etc showing RAM and CPU efficiency of each system.

Btw, my experience is the exact opposite of yours - Windows Phone is dog slow (but the home screen is smoother), while Android is much faster (but maybe not as smooth) on comparable, cheap hardware. But that was before I used the Moto G - it's completely smooth in circumstances that WP is and much much faster.

Okay. My Nokia Lumia 625 can run some games like HALO : Spartan assault and Aspalth 8 Airbone without Lags.

Still it just phone with 512 mb of ram lol

Wp may take a while when opening apps but when it already launch. It run smoothly :v

After all wp isn't really good at multitasking. Instead they make suspending apps that not in use while toast notif service still running. It result better performance of currently opened running apps and higher efficiency of battery :D

PS : Don't say WP dog again. There is no perfect OS in world. That's why they keep updating it
    06-14-2014 10:44 PM
    So having a snapdragon 800 is like a gimmink? Because our os can't fully utilise it?
    06-14-2014 11:06 PM

That's what I said in my previous posts that opening apps is quicker on even my ace but overall the android is slower in interface.
    06-14-2014 11:08 PM
    As per my honest experience (L820 with WP8.1), the apps resume instantly. After reading this thread I performed a small test by opening some of the "Heavy" apps like Facebook, WhatsApp, 2-3 games etc. I went to the multi tasking window and resumed each of them; there was absolutely no lag.
    The problem many of you are complaining about must be ofWP8 and not of 8.1. So once you get the update along with Cyan, all will be well.

Regarding app launch, I did notice the apps take a lot of time to load. The splash screen is just another excuse for the loading time I feel. I'm still not sure if its a problem with the OS or the devs. IMO, its a combination of both. Well, once 8.1 goes live, I am expecting better support from devs and also I'm hoping Cyan will help with the faster app launch.
    06-15-2014 12:36 AM
    So having a snapdragon 800 is like a gimmink? Because our os can't fully utilise it?
    Any OS never fully Use all CPU potential. Nowdays the goal is make how the device can interact well with human with great battery life. The overall performance can't be judged by the power of cpu only but also the performance of memory and storage.

If you compare 2 diffrent OS you can't hope they all have same power and weakness. While talk about windows phone performance compared to android windows phone may have longer load time but run apps without performance drop.

If windows phone completely draw it's prossecor power it may react faster but also suffered battery life like other OS not mention the phone temperature increased. As the temperature is too high the phone can barely respone to user command and it would compeletely drop it performance

It more like overclocking your PC. The clock never set to it highest potential but to the balace between power and speed to maintain it temperature
    06-15-2014 12:43 AM
    I'm not seeing the resuming thingy so much after wp8.1. Cyan will fix any ongoing issues. To answer your question, it is Lazy devs of course...... They can't be bothered to rewrite a whole app afresh for WP so they port it, leading to memory management issues. Plus you are using a 512mb device, use a 525 or 920 and you will never see the resuming screen.
    sadly no,even my 820 has the resuming screen,it is faster but unless the devs correct it,even the 1gb phones will have this issue :(

(edit) ps-my 820 is on wp8 ,my 720 is on 8.1 ,yet to update my 820 to 8.1
    06-15-2014 01:06 AM
    I think you have issues with your phone. I compared my 925 to the Xperia Z1. WhatsApp started slightly faster on the Z1. The Z1 is a quad core, while mine is a dual core. Did the same comparison to the Galaxy Mega, and mine was faster with starting up WhatsApp.
    JamesPTao likes this.
    06-15-2014 01:55 AM
    My 920 loads apps quite fast. The only apps that take a moment to load are ones that I have disabled updating in the background (such as news apps).
    06-15-2014 02:00 AM
    That's what I said in my previous posts that opening apps is quicker on even my ace but overall the android is slower in interface.
    So I'm going to conclude that no one here has any objective evidence that WP requires less resources than Android.
    I'm not trying to insult WP, just curious if one of the common claims about it has any established basis in fact.
    06-15-2014 04:35 AM
    PS : Don't say WP dog again. There is no perfect OS in world. That's why they keep updating it
    I found WP to be dog slow when I was choosing which smart phone to buy late last year. That's why I chose to stick with Android. I think this forum allows enough freedom of speech to say that. (Just don't ask if Cortana is a 'female AI', or just a generic AI with a female voice. That got me a one week ban.)
    06-15-2014 04:38 AM

Taking a page from your book, do you have any evidence for this? The answer is "No". Your observations are just that. Just like the posters you keep hammering at. What do you want? Pie charts and ratified documents? They will post based upon their experiences - just like you - I sincerely doubt they have a fully instrumented lab to create the hard data you so crave.
    06-15-2014 08:27 AM
    Taking a page from your book, do you have any evidence for this? The answer is "No". Your observations are just that. Just like the posters you keep hammering at. What do you want? Pie charts and ratified documents? They will post based upon their experiences - just like you - I sincerely doubt they have a fully instrumented lab to create the hard data you so crave.
    Thanks, that's exactly my point. Yes, I am asking if anyone has some objective data. I'm glad I got that point across successfully. Something like the minimum requirements quoted for Windows 8, but for WP and Android would be a good start, but actual independent tests would be even better. I've never seen anything relevant in the public domain.

I've always found the claim that WP is more efficient than Android unconvincing, not just because of my experience of the two systems but also the fact that Nokia chose to base their very low cost X smart phones on Android rather than WP. But that's not objective evidence. I'm interested in this point because the growth in the smart phone market is and will be mostly in the low end in years to come, so understanding whether one system has an advantage over the other would be quite informative. Unfortunately, it seems that no one here (including me) has any relevant data so we will have to reserve judgement on this important point.

I'll keep watching this thread in case someone does post anything useful.
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 06-15-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    06-15-2014 08:55 AM
    My WhatsApp behaves strange today. It takes about 3sec to open chat, before it would open instantly <1sec
    06-15-2014 09:09 AM
    My WhatsApp behaves strange today. It takes about 3sec to open chat, before it would open instantly <1sec
    is it working properly now?
    06-16-2014 11:40 PM
51 123