why do all wp7 and wp8 apps open slowly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaurav sharma IN

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I had a lumia 710 and now a Lumia 520 .All of the apps are slow to open on both as compared to android. I use whatsapp a lot and there is a huge time gap between android and wp around 2-3 sec.:eck::eck: Even fast resume on WP8 is slow! Is this an OS limitation? or lazy devs?:eck:

Montpbm

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I wanna know the same thing.. WP open so slow & take so long, IOS & Android apps just resume instantly but WP has to load for some odd reason and it is so frustrating.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm not seeing the resuming thingy so much after wp8.1. Cyan will fix any ongoing issues. To answer your question, it is Lazy devs of course...... They can't be bothered to rewrite a whole app afresh for WP so they port it, leading to memory management issues. Plus you are using a 512mb device, use a 525 or 920 and you will never see the resuming screen.

Gaurav sharma IN

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
if i only have one app running in the background then also ***resuming*** screen shows up! and after so many updates why cant whatsapp be as good as android! and honestly the current size of 17Mb is a joke ,6-7 Mb must be the background wallpapers! and rest 10Mb is the code , and in android the app is almost of this size except all of it is code!

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Think about it you're comparing a $60 windows phone to a $600 iPhone and what android phone? You should be happy you can even get a smartphone for that kind of money, and you should know that it wont have the same performance as a 925, use some some common sense.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Think about it you're comparing a $60 windows phone to a $600 iPhone and what android phone? You should be happy you can even get a smartphone for that kind of money, and you should know that it wont have the same performance as a 925, use some some common sense.

Resuming and slow app launches happen on higher end WP devices as well, like my 1020. Nothing to do with the price, just poorly coded apps and operating system.

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So it sounds like "all" the apps you use are not written for 8.1 so all you can do is contact developers and wait for them to update.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I was talking about the free ram. and i did all that even on my older galaxy ace apps open faster!

Lag is there in Android too while multi tasking-my bro has a micromax canvas hd with 4.2 and it is laggy as hell if you open more than one app. It is clearly visible-Animations stutter, and apps on resuming are presented with a black screen. That too with 1gb ram and a mediatek quad core... I have used Samsung phones too-I previously had a galaxy ace and returned/sold it under warranty for a 620 coz of the low performance and a malfunctioning sim slot. Don't know how you are getting no lag on your ace or Moto e. That's flat out impossible-even the galaxy s4 lags while multitasking. Unless you are an Android ****** trolling in here....

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Things just take time to open. Some longer than others. There are a few Apps that are fairly slow, even on my 1520, yet some Apps don't instantly open on my Nexus 7 2013 running 4.4.3 and my Nexus is still running butter smooth.

Hell, things don't open instantly on my Windows 7 gaming PC, which has plenty of power.

Gaurav sharma IN

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Lag is there in Android too while multi tasking-my bro has a micromax canvas hd with 4.2 and it is laggy as hell if you open more than one app. It is clearly visible-Animations stutter, and apps on resuming are presented with a black screen. That too with 1gb ram and a mediatek quad core... I have used Samsung phones too-I previously had a galaxy ace and returned/sold it under warranty for a 620 coz of the low performance and a malfunctioning sim slot. Don't know how you are getting no lag on your ace or Moto e. That's flat out impossible-even the galaxy s4 lags while multitasking. Unless you are an Android ****** trolling in here....
Im not a ****** rather i was one of the early adopter of WP. Im talking about app opening time! not multitasking. for example keep moto e and l525 side by side and open whatsapp simultaneously n see the result. try this with ace too , ace is faster .l710 an l520 app opening times are mostly same

twentythreee

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
First, you have to make a difference between launch and resume.
But yes, both are fairly slow on Windows Phone.

That's because of the programming language (C#) and compiler that are used on WP.
I don't think it makes sense to explain the exact reasons for this ('cause it's complicated :O), but it just takes some time to get all things ready in an app when you launch. Independent of what's in the app. It's not the case for iOS, therefore it's that fast.

For sure you also have to consider the app itself, and how "well" it is programmed to guarantee a fast startup.

Apps also have to be programmed that way so they can be "fast resumed". Well, it's not that fast ;-) At least not on the lower end phones like your 520.
When you leave an app and do other things it is - let's say - "sleeping". When you resume it (manually), it can either be resumed (programmatically) by the operating system or launched. That depends on how much time has passed since then, how many programs you have currently open and how many RAM your phone has.

I have a 520 as a testing device myself, and I can tell you, sleeping apps get "thrown away" really fast (so they can't be resumed anymore), and therefore they have to be fully launched again, which takes a lot of time.

You also have to know that apps have to do some work themselves (sometimes) when they get resumed, as some of the data, which was in the RAM before just gets trashed.

To sum it up: It's **** :p

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
and correct me if I'm wrong but WP requires less resources than android right?

Genuine question, not trying to make a point - is there any actual, verifiable evidence to support this claim? I have an Android device in front of me with 256MB of RAM and it works ok. Most apps run. It's smooth but sometimes very slow. Can WP run with so little memory? And also what is the point of running Android on the cheap, low spec Nokia X if WP would run more efficiently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb