why do all wp7 and wp8 apps open slowly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Correct. But it is literally just one line that needs to be added to enable fast resume.

If the app is written using the windows runtime for 8.1 then fast resume is enabled by default.

Another genuine question - is there any way to run apps on WP other than in the Windows Runtime (apart from HTML)?

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Genuine question, not trying to make a point - is there any actual, verifiable evidence to support this claim? I have an Android device in front of me with 256MB of RAM and it works ok. Most apps run. It's smooth but sometimes very slow. Can WP run with so little memory? And also what is the point of running Android on the cheap, low spec Nokia X if WP would run more efficiently?
Lumia 510 has 256mb ram and still runs smoother than Android.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 510 has 256mb ram and still runs smoother than Android.

That's very interesting but feels like subjective evidence to me. Is there any more objective data to support the claim that WP requires less resources than Android? Links to reputable papers or data sources would be appreciated.

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
WhatsApp opens instantly on my Icon and I never see the 'Resuming' screen. If it's slow on the 1020 I guess it's because of the slower older generation processor, or downright poor optimization on the developers part. The Lumia Cyan update might help optimize performance with 8.1, which itself already improves memory management.

Gaurav sharma IN

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
First, you have to make a difference between launch and resume.
But yes, both are fairly slow on Windows Phone.

That's because of the programming language (C#) and compiler that are used on WP.
I don't think it makes sense to explain the exact reasons for this ('cause it's complicated :O), but it just takes some time to get all things ready in an app when you launch. Independent of what's in the app. It's not the case for iOS, therefore it's that fast.

For sure you also have to consider the app itself, and how "well" it is programmed to guarantee a fast startup.

Apps also have to be programmed that way so they can be "fast resumed". Well, it's not that fast ;-) At least not on the lower end phones like your 520.
When you leave an app and do other things it is - let's say - "sleeping". When you resume it (manually), it can either be resumed (programmatically) by the operating system or launched. That depends on how much time has passed since then, how many programs you have currently open and how many RAM your phone has.

I have a 520 as a testing device myself, and I can tell you, sleeping apps get "thrown away" really fast (so they can't be resumed anymore), and therefore they have to be fully launched again, which takes a lot of time.

You also have to know that apps have to do some work themselves (sometimes) when they get resumed, as some of the data, which was in the RAM before just gets trashed.

To sum it up: It's **** :p

so windows apps even after a change to NT kernel from CE still is limited? Even android will do away with dalvik in the next release! When will WP mature :eck:

Gaurav sharma IN

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Genuine question, not trying to make a point - is there any actual, verifiable evidence to support this claim? I have an Android device in front of me with 256MB of RAM and it works ok. Most apps run. It's smooth but sometimes very slow. Can WP run with so little memory? And also what is the point of running Android on the cheap, low spec Nokia X if WP would run more efficiently?

Lumia 510 and 610 could run on 256Mb ram because of the optimised CE kernel and same story in WP8 with NT kernel , its better optimized for memory management . thats why l520 can operate smoothly and try a 512MB android on JB and watch it choke :evil:

Gaurav sharma IN

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
WhatsApp opens instantly on my Icon and I never see the 'Resuming' screen. If it's slow on the 1020 I guess it's because of the slower older generation processor, or downright poor optimization on the developers part. The Lumia Cyan update might help optimize performance with 8.1, which itself already improves memory management.

That means we need a flagship device for quick app opening? NO sir!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 510 and 610 could run on 256Mb ram because of the optimised CE kernel and same story in WP8 with NT kernel , its better optimized for memory management . thats why l520 can operate smoothly and try a 512MB android on JB and watch it choke :evil:

Again, do you have some objective evidence to support the claim that Windows Phone can run with fewer resources than Android? For example, papers, technical specs, etc showing RAM and CPU efficiency of each system.

Btw, my experience is the exact opposite of yours - Windows Phone is dog slow (but the home screen is smoother), while Android is much faster (but maybe not as smooth) on comparable, cheap hardware. But that was before I used the Moto G - it's completely smooth in circumstances that WP is and much much faster.

Last edited:

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a lumia 710 and now a Lumia 520 .All of the apps are slow to open on both as compared to android. I use whatsapp a lot and there is a huge time gap between android and wp around 2-3 sec.:eck::eck: Even fast resume on WP8 is slow! Is this an OS limitation? or lazy devs?:eck:

Windows Phone 8.1 apps offer a 30% performance boost and also no longer have the stupid resuming screen so it will just be a waiting game for people to completely rewrite their apps from scratch for 8.1, if they don't then we won't see any improvements

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 apps offer a 30% performance boost and also no longer have the stupid resuming screen so it will just be a waiting game for people to completely rewrite their apps from scratch for 8.1, if they don't then we won't see any improvements

Since WP8.1 is being released this month. I reckon apps for WP8 will stop and they will move on to WP8.1 app development. Seems logical since every WP8 phone is getting it

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Got to laugh and shake my head.

You buy the bottom line phone with 512MB ram and you expect it to be quick.
Man the 5 series is just entry level.

Don't believe the hype!!!!!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Got to laugh and shake my head.

You buy the bottom line phone with 512MB ram and you expect it to be quick.
Man the 5 series is just entry level.

Don't believe the hype!!!!!

The new Lumia 630 had better be quick. I have a Moto G and it's very fast. Even the Moto E (cheaper than the 630) is supposed to be pretty speedy. Real question is why anyone spends more than 200 euros on a phone today.

portalfocus

May 11, 2013
Visit site
The new Lumia 630 had better be quick. I have a Moto G and it's very fast. Even the Moto E (cheaper than the 630) is supposed to be pretty speedy. Real question is why anyone spends more than 200 euros on a phone today.

People will do it. Only because of This is better than that'. Even thought may not being true at all.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not seeing the resuming thingy so much after wp8.1. Cyan will fix any ongoing issues. To answer your question, it is Lazy devs of course...... They can't be bothered to rewrite a whole app afresh for WP so they port it, leading to memory management issues. Plus you are using a 512mb device, use a 525 or 920 and you will never see the resuming screen.
I've a 920 i see resuming screen every time i open whatsapp from background app switcher.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I've a 920 i see resuming screen every time i open whatsapp from background app switcher.
Then there's a problem with the phone.... And the app itself. Try hard reset. Coz I never see the resuming on my 620 with just 512mb ram,WP 8.1 and all background processes turned off. WhatsApp devs are lazy anyway.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Again, do you have some objective evidence to support the claim that Windows Phone can run with fewer resources than Android? For example, papers, technical specs, etc showing RAM and CPU efficiency of each system.

Btw, my experience is the exact opposite of yours - Windows Phone is dog slow (but the home screen is smoother), while Android is much faster (but maybe not as smooth) on comparable, cheap hardware. But that was before I used the Moto G - it's completely smooth in circumstances that WP is and much much faster.

Okay. My Nokia Lumia 625 can run some games like HALO : Spartan assault and Aspalth 8 Airbone without Lags.

Still it just phone with 512 mb of ram lol

Wp may take a while when opening apps but when it already launch. It run smoothly :v

After all wp isn't really good at multitasking. Instead they make suspending apps that not in use while toast notif service still running. It result better performance of currently opened running apps and higher efficiency of battery :D

PS : Don't say WP dog again. There is no perfect OS in world. That's why they keep updating it

Gaurav sharma IN

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site

That's what I said in my previous posts that opening apps is quicker on even my ace but overall the android is slower in interface.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
As per my honest experience (L820 with WP8.1), the apps resume instantly. After reading this thread I performed a small test by opening some of the "Heavy" apps like Facebook, WhatsApp, 2-3 games etc. I went to the multi tasking window and resumed each of them; there was absolutely no lag.
The problem many of you are complaining about must be ofWP8 and not of 8.1. So once you get the update along with Cyan, all will be well.

Regarding app launch, I did notice the apps take a lot of time to load. The splash screen is just another excuse for the loading time I feel. I'm still not sure if its a problem with the OS or the devs. IMO, its a combination of both. Well, once 8.1 goes live, I am expecting better support from devs and also I'm hoping Cyan will help with the faster app launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo