Hardcore Windows fan feels like he's losing hope :(

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
When I first upgraded to the dev preview of 8.1, my phone was actually really unstable and unresponsive. It was quite awful actually. So I eventually did a hard reset (Settings -> About -> Reset your phone) after running a full backup. Things ran much smoother. I eventually found there are a couple apps that aren't quite ready for 8.1 that was causing problems, photostream was one particular bad one. Remember, 8.1 is in beta, and most of the apps you are running have not even been tested on 8.1, let alone confirmed to be stable on it. But things seem to be running much better now, and it is nice and stable as I would expect. It is slower for sure (I see the Resuming.... screen a lot) but definitely stable. Give both your phones a hard reset.

And all devices get slower over time. With each iOS update, my iPhone gets slow. It's at the point now where it's SO slow it's painful to use. Instagram takes 7 seconds to load now. The camera roll takes forever to fill in the thumbnail tiles when there are a lot of pictures. And even scrolling through anything (browser, app, whatever) is choppy, when it used to be smooth. I just did a hard reset and it is still slow as hell. Not looking forward to iOS8.

So while the grass always seems greener, it often isn't. Most of the time you're just trading one set of problems for another set. All you gotta do it figure which set of problems you can live with and be happiest.

Yeah, this is the thing. Once the new firmware is released in sure it will make a huge improvement. And the 920 is already an aging phone. A great one mind you, but with the hard reset only removing your files and resetting the OS, not actually reinstalling it, it seems pointless because ill just be reinstalling all the same stuff back onto it.

And by the way, all my software is up to date. I'm big into updating things

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're on the Dev Preview, the morning freeze is a known bug. Grab the most recent update and wait for the firmware. That's one of the downsides to not having the firmware yet.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
That's a great suggestion. But due to where I live, I am limited to satellite high speed internet and it would take all day.. I'll keep it in mind. Ironically my phone has been working fine since I posted this. But I really doubt the issues will just disappear. However no black screen, or freezing this morning!

I think it could very well have to do with 2 things though. Either A) having Cortana pinned to my start screen, or B) having clock hub installed and pinned to my start screen.

Whenever I wake up in the morning and unlock my phone, if its going yo freeze, clock hub's time is hours out of date and then it freezes or is super slow. One time when this happened I uninstalled clock hub and the phone completely froze, I soft reset the system, and reinstalled clock hub and it has been better at least, but not perfect

Cortland live tile was well know for freezing the phones which in turn gave the resuming on the screen and heating but I thought it was fixed.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
If you're on the Dev Preview, the morning freeze is a known bug. Grab the most recent update and wait for the firmware. That's one of the downsides to not having the firmware yet.

Indeed. Don't judge a software product by bugs in a preview version. It's normal and expected that there are problems. I think that point should be stuck somewhere prominent in these forums...

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
After working at a tech center repairing endless windows PCs and having people rave how they never have any issues with Mac and Apple and how much they love them and dont have to think twice if that feature is available to them (because it most defiantly is) along with Android.
About "repairing endless windows PCs". Windows has 10X more users than Mac, so you're going to see approx. 10X more problems. In addition, since it is so widespread, Windows cuts across a much larger demographic which means that it will have a larger % of users that, well, aren't very computer savvy. That results in more problems with malware, etc.

I saw a similar evolution in my own software (real time scientific software). It was originally used by a small number of relatively sophisticated users. I had very few support issues. Now that my software is in widespread usage I have all sorts of weirdo support crap to deal with. People have infected machines causing problems, weird antivirus software installed, buggy hardware, computers that were never set up correctly (I don't know how many never set their timezone correctly!), etc. Worst of all, I've had a handful of emails where people use "witch" instead of "which" ... makes me want to vomit every time.

It is depressing but you have to remember that you're only seeing the "I have problems" end of the Windows ecosystem.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
About "repairing endless windows PCs". Windows has 10X more users than Mac, so you're going to see approx. 10X more problems. In addition, since it is so widespread, Windows cuts across a much larger demographic which means that it will have a larger % of users that, well, aren't very computer savvy. That results in more problems with malware, etc.

I saw a similar evolution in my own software (real time scientific software). It was originally used by a small number of relatively sophisticated users. I had very few support issues. Now that my software is in widespread usage I have all sorts of weirdo support crap to deal with. People have infected machines causing problems, weird antivirus software installed, buggy hardware, computers that were never set up correctly (I don't know how many never set their timezone correctly!), etc. Worst of all, I've had a handful of emails where people use "witch" instead of "which" ... makes me want to vomit every time.

It is depressing but you have to remember that you're only seeing the "I have problems" end of the Windows ecosystem.

Yes, this is very true. And I know developer previews will have bugs. I'm just hoping that the official launch after firmware will be pretty smooth. And that the Xbox games and music apps have been fixed up :p but its all a work in progress. I just get jealous of the other platform's app support at times. Buy its always picking up for us. And its still a great trade off to have something unique and beautiful.

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I can understand your heartache. I myself are a hardcore windows fan. I've got my lumia 920, running 8.1 developers preview (in south africa I might add), my i7 pc running windows 8.1 and I run remote desktop from my phone from bed when its cold at night. Even got a windows mediaplayer classic remote app for when I,m to lazy to stand up from the couch when watching a movie on my second pc connected to my flatscreen.

But after all that I've got to say, all my microsoft devices run smoothly. I do redo my i7 about every 3 months because it gets laggy but as far as my lumia 920 is concerned its never been better. No one here likes my phone cause they all got blackberries and samsung galaxys.

But when I'm busy doing all these things between my pc's and my phone I must say: Long live microsoft! I love my windows!

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I've been a hardcore MICROSOFT fan for a long time, having a full Microsoft eco system such as Lumia 920, Xbox One, Windows PCs and tablets. I work in the #1 Staples store in central Canada and recently Canada as a whole. After being so dedicated to Microsoft, having the dream job of working for them, and can't possibly own Apple or Google products because it just feels wrong.

However lately my phone feels laggy, slow, buggy, unresponsive, having my gf feel the same way about her 920. Which I know she misses her iPhone and would never admit it to me. After working at a tech center repairing endless windows PCs and having people rave how they never have any issues with Mac and Apple and how much they love them and dont have to think twice if that feature is available to them (because it most defiantly is) along with Android.

It all comes down to that recently I just feel disappointed that my phone isn't seamless, and that it freezes ever morning I unlock it and have to remember when the touch screen is unresponsive to lock and unlock my phone again for it to work, or that when my screen is black and nothing is responsive to hold the volume down dn power button until the phone vibrates to fix it.

I just feel like I'm losing hope. And it saddens me. I know it takes lots of time and I love Microsoft so much. But recently it just gets me so down.

Any one else I in the same boat?

I lost hope last year and got a Nexus 5 as my daily driver. Unfortunately the Google wireless charging bricks don't work so that's a fly in the ointment but otherwise the device is gorgeous and Android 4.4 is great. So much more functional then Windows Phone 8, it's not even close. I'd be inclined to think about Windows Phone again if it fixed the following:

* All Google Apps in high quality
* Great XBox Music app
* Great Podcast app
* 3D Touch
* Super thin & light with rounded corners and made out of aluminum
* 128GB storage

and increasing signs that the best iOS apps are being developed for WP in HIGH quality and maintained at the same rate.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I lost hope last year and got a Nexus 5 as my daily driver. Unfortunately the Google wireless charging bricks don't work so that's a fly in the ointment but otherwise the device is gorgeous and Android 4.4 is great. So much more functional then Windows Phone 8, it's not even close. I'd be inclined to think about Windows Phone again if it fixed the following:

* All Google Apps in high quality
* Great XBox Music app
* Great Podcast app
* 3D Touch
* Super thin & light with rounded corners and made out of aluminum
* 128GB storage

and increasing signs that the best iOS apps are being developed for WP in HIGH quality and maintained at the same rate.

My buddy just got rid of his 4s and moved to the Nexus 5. It is gorgeous. Very responsive. But I'm not a fan of google products. They seem to be lacking a consistent design language

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Are you using WP8.1? It lacks firmware update from Nokia so optimisation and few features aren't up to par
If you'll still have problems after Cyan firmware comes then try hard reset.. Or switch to iOS

Your choice man, i can't stand icon/grid UI in android and iOS so im "forced" to stay with WP, i like it tho

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That's a great suggestion. But due to where I live, I am limited to satellite high speed internet and it would take all day.. I'll keep it in mind. Ironically my phone has been working fine since I posted this. But I really doubt the issues will just disappear. However no black screen, or freezing this morning!

I think it could very well have to do with 2 things though. Either A) having Cortana pinned to my start screen, or B) having clock hub installed and pinned to my start screen.

Whenever I wake up in the morning and unlock my phone, if its going yo freeze, clock hub's time is hours out of date and then it freezes or is super slow. One time when this happened I uninstalled clock hub and the phone completely froze, I soft reset the system, and reinstalled clock hub and it has been better at least, but not perfect

Get rid of Clock Hub.... You don't need it, and it is also the cause of your morning 'lock up'.
Another user on here had exactly the same problems you are experiencing. After removing Clock Hub (permanently!!!), all problems vanished.

Pinning Cortana to the start screen also causes problems. Remove her, tile, and all will be well. She is still in 'beta', so bugs should be ironed out in due course.
Before I got my new 1520, I was running 8.1 on a 920, and it was superbly awesome. Stable and good battery life. Most battery drains or problems are usually down to rogue, or badly written apps NOT the OS.

Keep the faith... WP is THE best phone OS bar none. I develop for iOS and Android, but wouldn't own one of those POS devices if you paid me!!!!

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Beta? Beta? Beta? What is wrong with you people. WP8.1 in its current state is on retail devices like the 630 and 930. There is no beta excuse here, apart from firmware related issues. WP8.1 is crappy in many ways. When you get a 630 or 930 you get a crappy Xbox corner, crappy facebook integration and so on. It is a bad product on retail.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys. I've been a hardcore MICROSOFT fan for a long time, having a full Microsoft eco system such as Lumia 920, Xbox One, Windows PCs and tablets. I work in the #1 Staples store in central Canada and recently Canada as a whole. After being so dedicated to Microsoft, having the dream job of working for them, and can't possibly own Apple or Google products because it just feels wrong.

However lately my phone feels laggy, slow, buggy, unresponsive, having my gf feel the same way about her 920. Which I know she misses her iPhone and would never admit it to me. After working at a tech center repairing endless windows PCs and having people rave how they never have any issues with Mac and Apple and how much they love them and dont have to think twice if that feature is available to them (because it most defiantly is) along with Android.

It all comes down to that recently I just feel disappointed that my phone isn't seamless, and that it freezes ever morning I unlock it and have to remember when the touch screen is unresponsive to lock and unlock my phone again for it to work, or that when my screen is black and nothing is responsive to hold the volume down dn power button until the phone vibrates to fix it.

I just feel like I'm losing hope. And it saddens me. I know it takes lots of time and I love Microsoft so much. But recently it just gets me so down.

Any one else I in the same boat?

Give it a year and a half to two years tops and you wont need to worry about it at the rate Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Get rid of Clock Hub.... You don't need it, and it is also the cause of your morning 'lock up'.
Another user on here had exactly the same problems you are experiencing. After removing Clock Hub (permanently!!!), all problems vanished.

Pinning Cortana to the start screen also causes problems. Remove her, tile, and all will be well. She is still in 'beta', so bugs should be ironed out in due course.
Before I got my new 1520, I was running 8.1 on a 920, and it was superbly awesome. Stable and good battery life. Most battery drains or problems are usually down to rogue, or badly written apps NOT the OS.

Keep the faith... WP is THE best phone OS bar none. I develop for iOS and Android, but wouldn't own one of those POS devices if you paid me!!!!

Clock hub looks so bad as with Cortana on my start screen. The lags are worth the pulsation or Cortana and the wide tile clock. Looks to bad ***. Its a matter of time until everything is great. We just need the proper firmware. IOS and android are both so lame and boring compared to windows phone 8.1

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
How is iOS and Android boring? Could you explain? With Android especially, you can make the phone look and feel however you want. Plus, it has all of the greatest games and apps almost anyone could hope for.

I think it's more visually. Which no doubt WP is VERY good at. But each have their opinion :)

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Never put all your eggs in one basket. Technology is constantly evolving. Gadgets come and go. I think it's foolish to limit yourself only to technology that has a certain company's logo on it.

Always get a device/gadget based on what it can do NOW, not based on a vague hope of what it might be able to do at some nebulous point in the future. You'll only set yourself up for disappointment.
Sent from my Lumia 822 using Tapatalk

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think it's more visually. Which no doubt WP is VERY good at. But each have their opinion :)

I like the way Live Tiles look also, and I like having Microsoft services as well. That includes an awesome working Skype app. Moving to Windows Phone didn't really make sense when I'd have to give up Real Racing 3 and all of the other great games I play. I found a solution to my problem though.

P1cbDHU.jpg

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
After working at a tech center repairing endless windows PCs and having people rave how they never have any issues with Mac and Apple
And that's a pack of lies. People that buy things that make them feel "in", tend to be less than honest about the quality and durability of those things.I teach and run a Mac video editing lab at a high school. I've been using Macs since 1984 because of educations fascination with them, and I hate them. We got a brand new iMac lab. Within one month three of them had to be sent back for repairs and a fourth had the screen fall off. I have to do hard resets every day and FCP X freezes regularly. In the real world, Macs have as many problems (in my experience, more) as PC's. And they should have fewer because they design the hardware and software.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss