Battery drains form 100% to empty within two hours after update to 8.10.12397.895 on Lumia 925

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I update two days ago to the latest developer preview (8.10.12397.895), since then the battery of my Lumia 925 goes from full to empty within 2h. The phone is also very hot the whole time which induces high CPU usage :cry:

I already tried soft and hard reset without success, problem remains.

It doesn't seem to be network related since there is almost no difference in airplane mode. I'm also trying to rule out background apps but in the meantime, does anyone else have the same problem or any idea how to solve it?

BR

Micha?l

Pashwa97

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I update two days ago to the latest developer preview (8.10.12397.895), since then the battery of my Lumia 925 goes from full to empty within 2h. The phone is also very hot the whole time which induces high CPU usage :cry:

I already tried soft and hard reset without success, problem remains.

It doesn't seem to be network related since there is almost no difference in airplane mode. I'm also trying to rule out background apps but in the meantime, does anyone else have the same problem or any idea how to solve it?

BR

Micha?l

Same problem in Lumia 520

N1520

May 29, 2014
Visit site
-Turn off background Tasks you don't need ( be reminded Notifications won't work if you do so )
-Delete Skype. ( Don't disable it, f**** delete it )
-make sure your brightness on AUTO, or even better at low
-Location services OFF
-Email account syncing to manual or hourly for accounts that don't require immediate attention. Same goes for calendars.
-Go to your MS account, make sure no services have access to your account, such as twitter or Google.
-Battery saver.

That should do it

I have 2 windows phones: 8X and 1520 .. Disconnected from charger at 7 AM, and at 6 PM : 8X at 54%, 1520 at 75% .. Moderate use.

May 28, 2014
Visit site
-Turn off background Tasks you don't need ( be reminded Notifications won't work if you do so )
-Delete Skype. ( Don't disable it, f**** delete it )
-make sure your brightness on AUTO, or even better at low
-Location services OFF
-Email account syncing to manual or hourly for accounts that don't require immediate attention. Same goes for calendars.
-Go to your MS account, make sure no services have access to your account, such as twitter or Google.
-Battery saver.

That should do it

I have 2 windows phones: 8X and 1520 .. Disconnected from charger at 7 AM, and at 6 PM : 8X at 54%, 1520 at 75% .. Moderate use.

tried all that, didn't help...
As mentioned it drains as much even on airplane mode so push/network activity cannot be the cause

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't already tried, perform a hard reset and don't restore any apps or data. If you are still experiencing issues on a completely fresh OS, then I would think you have a hardware issue.
If your phone is working properly then I would reinstall your apps one at a time and monitor your battery life.
You might also want to check your accounts and make sure you are not encountering any sync errors or hang-ups. I'm sure you can rule that out though, since you've already tried running in airplane mode.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
You can try to recalibrate the battery. Let it drain to 0% (so that it shudowns) then charge it without interruption to 100%, and cycle this 3 times.

May 28, 2014
Visit site
You can try to recalibrate the battery. Let it drain to 0% (so that it shudowns) then charge it without interruption to 100%, and cycle this 3 times.

Already tried both soft and hard reset... Didn't help.
Same with battery drain to 0% :unhappy:
The only thing I didn't try is not to restore the phone. Will be the next test

crgsibaja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm honest this is BETA.. So please don't forget this.. I got the 1520 with the last update and don't have any issue. Can you make a hard reset and monitoring if there's one app that drain your battery.. Maybe the update can't be installed successfully

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I appreciate the feedback an without any disrespect meant but:
1) I know very well this is a beta and I never complained about the fact that I have a problem or said it was unacceptable or ...
2) The whole purpose of a beta is to test it a gather feedback to solve potential issues (trust me as software engineer, I know it), and that's exactly what I'm doing. Trying to find a solution to a problem I'm having.
3) Please read the thread before posting some ready made solution you got from elsewhere. Before posting here, I searched for potential solution and explained in my first post what I already tried. I posted twice that I already tried soft and hard reset and still people are still posting to try that. What's the point, improving your forum stats?

Now to answer the question, there is no particular app draining the battery. Even after a fresh boot without even unlocking the screen once (no app allowed to run in the BG) I still have the same problem.

My guess is that something went wrong with the update and I should try to reinstall it. I will try the following and keep you posted... How to Remove the Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview on Nokia Devices | TheUnlockr

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
You may try and downgrade to WP8 using Nokia software recovery tool, latest version, 1.4.1 will allow that
If everything works fine on 8 reinstall WP8.1 and see if the problem recurs
If you are experiencing the same behavior on WP8 than it is most probably hardware issue

shaggydave

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Check your emails and see if they continue to try to sync! I had the same prob on same phone ! Delete your emails and hard reset and then add emails back! Fixed! 😊

shielah

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Mine had been bad to, 5% in 20 min only s few text and read a couple pages on here and book.. Drains in idle all background off except battery performance app, email was set on 2 hrs just changed it to manual.
What would Skype being deleted benefit if its not running??
Mine isn't getting hot though, just drains way to fast.. And shouldn't when idle.. I'm sleeping for goodness' and my phones dying in the mean time...920 here

myst02

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I also had this problem on my Ativ S, but I found a solution.

1) Let your phone discharge to 50%-30% battery
2) Download Battery Discharger: Battery Discharger | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
3) Do a soft reset by pressing Vol Up + Power
4) Run Battery Discharger and let it discharge your phone's battery until it turns off
5) Wait 10 minutes and connect your phone to charger
6) If the phone is booted, do a soft reset again
7) Charge your phone to 100% battery. Don't disconnect it when it has 100% and wait 2 hours before disconnecting.

This solution worked perfectly for me! :)
Another tip: Turn off battery saver, it will dry out your battery, because of a WP 8.1 bug.

BR,
myst02

myst02

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
No, it works with the solution above.
On my Ativ S, I had 30% battery drain per hour. After doing this, I have 1% per hour :) :) :)

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
This is NOT a battery calibration issue.

The OP's report that the phone gets hot indicates an abnormally high processor load, or a hardware defect. Either could be capable of draining the battery in a few hours. Considering this is immediately after software changes I would look for corrupted or buggy software as the prime suspect, because a hardware issue is unlikely to be triggered by a software update. Full restore to factory software then reload all the bells and whistles one at a time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077