07-21-2014 09:46 AM
54 123
tools
    3 years in and they cannot figure these out? I serious think they should fire Joe Belfiore....
    06-15-2014 02:41 PM
    We have all of these things.
    06-15-2014 02:43 PM
    No Timer, voice memos, video editing(iMovie), music editing(GarageBand) and so much more.
    06-15-2014 02:48 PM
    My 620 has a compass.
    k0de and xandros9 like this.
    06-15-2014 02:49 PM
    We have these..for me its hard to believe that after all these years we don't have a 3g /4g only mode... it suckz when you're in an area with low 3g network coverage and the network keeps on switching back to Edge which drains the battery really fast..i know there are mod's for that but i have to flash my phone again since i already updated to 8.1 preview.. I got sick of it so i'm finally gonna use my dad's new galaxy s5
    06-15-2014 02:52 PM
    There are plenty of app you can download from store. I have no need for compass but got Stopwatch Pro+ simple and beautiful app from Nokia
    xandros9, Editguy1900 and k0de like this.
    06-15-2014 02:52 PM
    We have these..for me its hard to believe that after all these years we don't have a 3g /4g only mode... it suckz when you're in an area with low 3g network coverage and the network keeps on switbacking back to Edge..this drains the battery really fast..i know there are mod's for that but i have to flash my phone again since i already updated to 8.1 preview.. I got sick of it so i'm finally gonna use my dad's new galaxy s5
    Well it's either fall back to a stronger signal than having none at all, surely? As that is what would happen if locked onto 3/4G in a low signal area.
    MatttCarey and xandros9 like this.
    06-15-2014 02:56 PM
    I find it infuriating how often I have to wiggle my phone in a figure 8 to adjust my compass... If/when that even works.
    06-15-2014 02:57 PM
    try #1 toolbox
    RumoredNow and gapost like this.
    06-15-2014 03:16 PM
    Maybe part of the reason is to let developers fill the gaps. However, I'd expect the Alarms app on Windows to be ported to Windows Phone, which would make sense (although I'd prefer a more native look and feel, like Stopwatch+).
    MatttCarey likes this.
    06-15-2014 06:38 PM
    I have an app for each one of those needs... Is that difficult to search the store to find the best for you?
    06-16-2014 10:49 PM
    I agree, there is a real need to get that 3G Lock, I don't mind my phone being out of signal for a few moments but the auto mode is a serious battery drain. I can't even use skype or browse because the phone falls back to 2G which is embarrassing in front of my android friends. So many updates, yet Microsoft/Nokia is neglecting this minimalistic feature for god knows what reasons !
    06-17-2014 01:23 AM
    3 years in and they cannot figure these out? I serious think they should fire Joe Belfiore....
    Fire him for a dumb app you can download from the store? What are you smoking?? I mean, do you constantly get lost that you need to know which direction North is on a daily basis?

I'm glad they are not built in to the OS because I don't need a timer app or a stopwatch app or a compass app built in taking up space on my device. If you need one then download one from the store and move on with your life.
    06-17-2014 08:39 AM
    We have these..for me its hard to believe that after all these years we don't have a 3g /4g only mode... it suckz when you're in an area with low 3g network coverage and the network keeps on switching back to Edge which drains the battery really fast..i know there are mod's for that but i have to flash my phone again since i already updated to 8.1 preview.. I got sick of it so i'm finally gonna use my dad's new galaxy s5
    If you are in a low 3G area, and you want to conserve battery, then you should set to 2G only. The battery drain is precisely because the phone is continually hunting for the weak 3G signal. Using 3G/4G only would not have helped.
    06-17-2014 11:44 AM
    No system audio recorder app. I realized this when my mom wanted to record something and she was asking me how to do it. We downloaded an app, but simple things like these are ones that I'd expect a system app for.
    06-17-2014 12:04 PM
    Timer & Stopwatch: Avirall Time Suite
    Compass: Jack of Tools Pro
    Audio Recording: Voice Memos

All excellent apps. Jack of Tools Pro could use some metro UI polish, but functionality is all there.
    06-17-2014 12:11 PM
    download #1 toolkit. ithas timer, stopwatch, world clock, compass, level, currency converter, unit converter, flashlight, and much more
    06-17-2014 12:26 PM
    No system audio recorder app. I realized this when my mom wanted to record something and she was asking me how to do it. We downloaded an app, but simple things like these are ones that I'd expect a system app for.
    Onenote records audio. I use it all the time. With Cortana just say note and record your note after the prompt.
    06-17-2014 12:38 PM
    What are you smoking?? I mean, do you constantly get lost that you need to know which direction North is on a daily basis?
    And you don't need a weatherman to tell you which way the wind blows.
    tiwahu likes this.
    06-17-2014 01:53 PM
    If that's true it is indeed kind if amazing. Phones have been switching between 2G and 3G for more than a decade and it doesn't normally cause any problems. Maybe you have a faulty device?
    06-17-2014 02:02 PM
    What are you smoking?? I mean, do you constantly get lost that you need to know which direction North is on a daily basis?
    I really dislike this kind of post. The reasoning is kind of sociopathic - that if I don't need something, you don't need it either and are an ***** for even asking.
    06-17-2014 02:08 PM
    And you don't need a weatherman to tell you which way the wind blows.
    Tell me about it, I had bean last night.
    06-17-2014 02:23 PM
    Timer & Stopwatch: Avirall Time Suite
    Compass: Jack of Tools Pro
    Audio Recording: Voice Memos

All excellent apps. Jack of Tools Pro could use some metro UI polish, but functionality is all there.
    This is part of the problem I have with where WP is headed. Remember a year ago? "WP has things built in; you don't need an app for everything."

What happened? Now we need apps for even the basic simple stuff.
    06-17-2014 02:57 PM
    I just downloaded a stopwatch app on my 810 on Friday morning. I assume the OP meant these tools being built into the phones...?
    06-17-2014 03:01 PM
    I wouldn't call them mandatory requirements for a phone. Except maybe to class as a feature on a phone that has very little else in the way of features. Examples being the older really cheap Nokias. And even if they were built in to current phones they would most likely gather proverbial dust from not being used due to better, fuller featured versions being available in the store.
    lcw731 likes this.
    06-17-2014 03:07 PM
54 123