Rant: Multitasking on windows phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
The so called multitasking in windows phone is what stopping people to switch from iOS and android.... One of my friends bought a brand new nokia Lumia 630 just 3 days ago and now he is totally frustrated with the multitasking in the windows phone... Now he is selling it..i somewhere down the line agree with him on this point.... What you guys think about it...

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have varying experiences. Many apps and games I use on a daily basis are working really well. Some others show a resuming screen when switched back to. The latter occured more frequently after I installed the WP 8.1 dev preview, so I'm pretty sure those apps and games require an update to work with the changes in the task management, Microsoft made.
Nevertheless, WP doesn't have a "real" multitasking, meaning apps keep actively running in the background. I for one prefer this over how Android handles things. It may be less convenient, but on the other hand it preserves battery and furthermore significantly reduces usage of system critical resources like memory and cpu time.

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
WP does have real multitasking, i can navigate in the background, play music in the background, have the timer running in the background and have a whatsapp conversation on my screen. All this runs at the same time and i can switch from 1 task to another flawlessly.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
This my frnd is not true MULTITASKING ... Multi tasking stands for download and uploading in background.... Which you know very well its impossible in WP
.... Take uc browser for example... You can't download anything with screen locked....... And you can't upload pic to fb via using fb app and so on....

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft should work on that and bring this feature in future updates......i think we should post this idea on user voice

Syed Rehman1

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey thats not true.
I can download from uc browser even my phone is locked or i m in another app. It was made possible after 8.1. I have a lumia 620 and i download videos on regular basis.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Are you talking about that background download option? That can't be switched to regular download.. And it does not works on 2g ... And by the uc is the only app that allows it on some terms and conditions...I think you haven't used multitasking on android...

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
This my frnd is not true MULTITASKING ... Multi tasking stands for download and uploading in background.... Which you know very well its impossible in WP
.... Take uc browser for example... You can't download anything with screen locked....... And you can't upload pic to fb via using fb app and so on....
I don't have ucbrowser so i can't judge on that one, but i sure can download/upload movies in whatsapp in the background, with another app active on screen. And as mentioned below, other members do this in ucbrowser.
Multitasking is by the way not only up/downloading in the background, it means the device is able to handle more than 1 task at once.

myoujin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Do you know that can download background mode using uc browser? During download, can select regular or background download.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Do you know that can download background mode using uc browser? During download, can select regular or background download.
How many times will I need to say this..? The background download in uc can't be switched to normal and doesn't works on 2g... And it is the only app (that I know) which I can do that

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't have ucbrowser so i can't judge on that one, but i sure can download/upload movies in whatsapp in the background, with another app active on screen. And as mentioned below, other members do this in ucbrowser.
Multitasking is by the way not only up/downloading in the background, it means the device is able to handle more than 1 task at once.
I definitely understand what multitasking is...i said that to generalize.. By the way if you have used fb app or nokia mix radio you might be known to that the songs can't be downloaded in background and pics can't be uploaded... So fake multitasking.....i think either you are a windows ****** or you haven't used an android phone..

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I definitely understand what multitasking is...i said that to generalize.. By the way if you have used fb app or nokia mix radio you might be known to that the songs can't be downloaded in background and pics can't be uploaded... So fake multitasking.....i think either you are a windows ****** or you haven't used an android phone..

You can't compare WP and Android, as both are approaching things entirely different. Yes, Android has apps running completely active in the background, which has a huge impact on battery life and overall performance. Which is why you keep reading about laggy experiences everywhere, even though flagship devices are monsters in terms of specs.
Microsoft focused on delivering an experience that is fluent, stable and fast, no matter what users do.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
You can't compare WP and Android, as both are approaching things entirely different. Yes, Android has apps running completely active in the background, which has a huge impact on battery life and overall performance. Which is why you keep reading about laggy experiences everywhere, even though flagship devices are monsters in terms of specs.
Microsoft focused on delivering an experience that is fluent, stable and fast, no matter what users do.
Oh please..... Why can't I compare these two platforms.... Both of these fight for same consumers so the comparison is natural...i know they approach things differently. But controlling downloads and uploads so badly is what you don't expect out of a smartphone... One more thing that you would agree too... Before 8.1 one can share multiple photos to Facebook in background but now the ******* fb app can't upload pics in background so you have to stare the screen until the pics are uploaded... That is where you need true multitasking....

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh please..... Why can't I compare these two platforms.... Both of these fight for same consumers so the comparison is natural...i know they approach things differently. But controlling downloads and uploads so badly is what you don't expect out of a smartphone... One more thing that you would agree too... Before 8.1 one can share multiple photos to Facebook in background but now the ******* fb app can't upload pics in background so you have to stare the screen until the pics are uploaded... That is where you need true multitasking....

I would need that on a PC, not necessarily on a smartphone, tbh. If I were to upload multiple photos, I'd wait for either a WiFi or at least a fast mobile connection. There's certainly nothing important to post to Facebook that couldn't wait a bit. And if it IS that important, I'll have to deal with what you call staring at the screen for just a couple of seconds. ;)
Of course you can compare Android and WP, but it's pretty much as fair as comparing a sports car with a mobile home.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I would need that on a PC, not necessarily on a smartphone, tbh. If I were to upload multiple photos, I'd wait for either a WiFi or at least a fast mobile connection. There's certainly nothing important to post to Facebook that couldn't wait a bit. And if it IS that important, I'll have to deal with what you call staring at the screen for just a couple of seconds. ;)
Of course you can compare Android and WP, but it's pretty much as fair as comparing a sports car with a mobile home.
Microsoft itself is trying to unite the PC and phone �
This is a basic feature that you can make fun of but it's an essential component......

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft itself is trying to unite the PC and phone �
This is a basic feature that you can make fun of but it's an essential component......

What they are uniting is kernels, APIs and such, which has the goal to make developers build and publish apps for both systems without too much additional effort. And they are trying to offer a better interaction between handsets and computers.
Whether true multitasking is essential for a smartphone or not is difficult to discuss. I definitely prefer an effecient battery and resources usage over what Android offers.

That being said, people have several options to choose from: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry. Each of these approaches things differently and it's up to you and your personal preferences to pick an OS that suits your needs best. In this case, WP is clearly not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb