Good map application for WP

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Anyone in Japan who uses WP except me? I am using a L925 and an iPhone. I'm happy with WP but the google map app in iOS and Android is really useful. It gets me to where I want to go. However, WP has a lousy and useable maps in Japan. What gives?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You have some options.

There are third-party Google Maps apps.
Nokia has HERE Maps as default in their Lumias.
MS also has Bing Maps (just Maps) available too.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys buy I have tried all you said and sorry but those a pretty worthless here in Japan as I need travel by train. Bing and Here maps as well as Waze do not do by train. I have used Google here and it is really very useful. So far I cannot ditch my iPhone here in Japan. My other phone is a Lumia

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
It is a blasphemy but Google has waaaay better map compared to HERE or Bing Maps for my country. Even the map for capital city, Tbilisi is inaccurate in HERE and Bing.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys buy I have tried all you said and sorry but those a pretty worthless here in Japan as I need travel by train. Bing and Here maps as well as Waze do not do by train. I have used Google here and it is really very useful. So far I cannot ditch my iPhone here in Japan. My other phone is a Lumia

This is one of the reasons I cannot use WP. I travel a lot in Asia, mainly Japan, Singapore and South Korea, and WP maps are simply horrible. MS of course doesn't care and wants to port Cortana to iOS instead of fixing their maps.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
It is a blasphemy but Google has waaaay better map compared to HERE or Bing Maps for my country. Even the map for capital city, Tbilisi is inaccurate in HERE and Bing.

What nonsense. Blasphemy indeed. It's a blasted phone, just that. If it's bad for your needs, sell it or throw it away and buy some thing that fits your needs.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah indeed. Offline feature is fantastic.

Here Maps has no offline maps for Japan where OP resides and South Korea where OP also travels to. Something strange with these two countries with relate to map data.

Since Bing maps also use Here map data, it will be the same.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
So a lot of you may appreciate. Here in Japan the best mode of transit is the train, subway, bullet trains etc. Owning a car is very expensive that's why Google maps has thrive here. It's very useful. I know a lot of people hate Google too but their maps is really good that's why they are not letting it port to WP. So there's a valid point for some of us to criticize MS for trying to port Cortana to other platforms. But again, Google maps is very very useful here in Tokyo. No problem with data because data is relatively cheap here in Tokyo and quality is very good. See google maps can even give you alternative trains to choose, its fair and time. Really good. Bing maps only have by foot or by car. I don't really understand why MS has completely left Japan. Too bad. WP will never see its light here if maps or something like this never arrive in WP.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
What nonsense. Blasphemy indeed. It's a blasted phone, just that. If it's bad for your needs, sell it or throw it away and buy some thing that fits your needs.
What are you talking about, Mr.? Where in my post you have quoted have you seen anything about PHONE?

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Here Maps has no offline maps for Japan where OP resides and South Korea where OP also travels to. Something strange with these two countries with relate to map data.

Since Bing maps also use Here map data, it will be the same.

That's weird. No japan and S. Korea in the offline maps? Are you sure?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb