Good map application for WP

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
That problem is just plain politics...........same as Germany and streetview

Not quite, but close. There are laws in Japan and S. Korea dealing with map data. In Japan, nobody but the government is allowed to create map data. All the information in Google Maps is not generated by Google but provided in partnership with the Japanese government plus companies like Japan Rail and Tokyo Metro. Similarly, in South Korea, try getting driving directions with Google Maps. It won't work, the button is greyed out. There the government does not allow Google to do navigation.

So. If Google can get these governments to play nice, why can't MS. You should see the level at which Japanese an S.Korean people love and use great products like Excel - MS has influence if they choose to use it and do the work needed. Clearly they aren't or they don't think it's worth the effort.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Your choices are limited:
1. wait for Google to release its maps app on WP. That will probably be a long wait (maybe when WP reaches double-digit market share)
2, Wait for Nokia/NavTeq to negotiate a better deal with Japanese Govn't.
3. Purchase a 3rd party maps app that works in Japan.

viswanathansri

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Anyone in Japan who uses WP except me? I am using a L925 and an iPhone. I'm happy with WP but the google map app in iOS and Android is really useful. It gets me to where I want to go. However, WP has a lousy and useable maps in Japan. What gives?

Here are the best options :
1) Here Maps + Here Drive with offline navigation and voice navigation
2) UnOfficial Goole Maps App : GMaps | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I bought an Android phone just for my upcoming travel to Japan. Android and iOS both have lots of Japan travel related apps, whereas Windows Phone has nothing. I'm into the Microsoft stack owning a windows phone, xbox one and surface, but this limitation is really making me consider switching to another phone platform.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought an Android phone just for my upcoming travel to Japan. Android and iOS both have lots of Japan travel related apps, whereas Windows Phone has nothing. I'm into the Microsoft stack owning a windows phone, xbox one and surface, but this limitation is really making me consider switching to another phone platform.

Have you or anyone tried Bing Maps since Microsoft recently added Japan transit info? Also what are good apps on android that you'd like to see on windows phone besides gmaps so we can email the developers and ask?

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Only Bing Maps for WP7 is updated. WP8 uses HERE Maps data so Japan map is empty.

These are the some apps that I will be using on my Android device:

1. Google Maps and Google Maps Engine for routes with multiple POIs. GMaps is very limited compared to Google Maps which lets you look around for restaurants, etc.
2. Google Translate (Bing Translator doesn't support Japanese)
3. HYPERDIA JapanRailSearch
4. Japan Trains
5. MapsWithMe with full offline Japan map with POIs and search
6. TripAdvisor City Guides Catalog
7. TouristEye - Travel Guide

This made me realize that there's indeed a big app gap. Hopefully Microsoft will do something. I'll still be using my 1520 as my main phone but I'm not sure for how long.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Only Bing Maps for WP7 is updated. WP8 uses HERE Maps data so Japan map is empty.

These are the some apps that I will be using on my Android device:

1. Google Maps and Google Maps Engine for routes with multiple POIs. GMaps is very limited compared to Google Maps which lets you look around for restaurants, etc.
2. Google Translate (Bing Translator doesn't support Japanese)
3. HYPERDIA JapanRailSearch
4. Japan Trains
5. MapsWithMe with full offline Japan map with POIs and search
6. TripAdvisor City Guides Catalog
7. TouristEye - Travel Guide

This made me realize that there's indeed a big app gap. Hopefully Microsoft will do something. I'll still be using my 1520 as my main phone but I'm not sure for how long.

2. Try T-Translator, it's powered by Google. Also try Translator with Speech.

6. Windows Phone does have TripAdvisor

Now that Bing has transit info for Japan and South Korea, MS really needs to update the Bing map app on WP8. Here data is awful and it seems the here team is now focused on ios...

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
2. Try T-Translator, it's powered by Google. Also try Translator with Speech.

6. Windows Phone does have TripAdvisor

Now that Bing has transit info for Japan and South Korea, MS really needs to update the Bing map app on WP8. Here data is awful and it seems the here team is now focused on ios...

2. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

6. The TripAdvisor has lots of missing features such as offline info compared to iOS and Android. The last time this app got updated was way back 2012.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb