8.1 and SD Cards - Anyone having trouble

NastySasquatch

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Phone: Lumia 1520, Current 8.1, Current Music App.

So after the last update to WP8.1 preview and the Xbox Music update (the one that made the tile transparent 2.255 or so) I got an error message about the music on my SD card not being readable. Then it started playing, and I thought nothing of it. A couple days later I realized my phone wasn't downloading new music to the SD card anymore. I'd go to the store, select a song, or album to download (I have the Music Pass) and it would error out, 80070490. I hunted around about the error, it has to do with permissions. So I read more and more, and it seemed like my SD card had music with permissions for an older version, and the music needed to possibly be deleted and re-downloaded.

So, I trying to be Mr. Smart, un-mounted the SD card through the Storage Sense app, and hey it downloaded the song correctly to the Phones internal SD card. So I'm excited, all I hve to do is re-download my music. Tap the windows key to return to start....

Blank screen. Then updating... then All I have is a tile for the Storage Sense app. and a blank app list. So I panic a little.

Then I figure ok, I will just reboot, no big deal right?

Reboot and still just the storage sense app. So I shut down, and remove the SD card fully. Reboot, and I have my emails, and my contacts. NO OTHER TILES WHATSOEVER!!!!!

Settings... Gone... Calendar.... Gone. Everything is just freaking gone. App list, blank. Camera button... nothing. So 1 more shut down, super panic mode, put the SD card back in because... WTF!!!! and Cortana and Weather come back. and some apps I accidentally installed to SD card. That's it. I can't even get to the setting to do a full factory reset (Not that I WANT to do that either)

Anyone got any suggestions or been down this road already?

This is important, I actually backed up my phone to one drive BEFORE doing ANY of this. I'd really like to figure out how to restore to that backup too.

Last edited:

NastySasquatch

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Few more reboots with SD card in and out and everything is restored... Didn't have to figure out restoring the backup. Now to diagnose if stuff got installed to SD card that shouldn't. It happened before, but forced me to move the app to the phone.

NastySasquatch

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The SD card is not corrupt. That is only an option if the card is corrupt. Xbox Music simply is not allowing me to download content to an SD card anymore.

NijeZauzetoIme

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I got several heavy apps stored on my card, (Ativ S,latest dev prev, 32gb class 10 card) and today got sd card error and couldnt start any od the apps stored there or acess the card. So frustrating!!

NastySasquatch

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I got several heavy apps stored on my card, (Ativ S,latest dev prev, 32gb class 10 card) and today got sd card error and couldnt start any od the apps stored there or acess the card. So frustrating!!

That was the Exact issue that started this for me. I accidentally set my SD card for app installs, then it installed an update to the SD card for an app that wasn't allowed SD card install.

Now my SD card has been denied permission for anything to be put on it.

Nandakumar Kesavan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Have been having this issue with my Lumia 1320 with DP 8.1, using Sandisk Ultra 32 GB Class 10 Micro SD, every 10 days the mobile shows the applications which are installed in SD as not available, when I reboot I get a message stating that I need to format my SD card, everytime I format and use it again, after few days the same thing again... Kind of frustrating....

Don't know whether its a problem with my card so I ordered another 16GB Transcend class 10 to verify whether its my card or my phone which has the problem.

Have anyone faced similar issue? :grincry:

MOSJ

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Got my new Transcend Class 10 SD Card (16 GB), works like a charm. seems like my SanDisk 32GB Ultra Micro SD was a faulty one

I also own a Sandisk Ultra 32 GB Class 10 and I am having a lot of trouble with it, exactly the same as you described. Did your phone kept crashing after you changed your microSD?

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
There are lots of fake micro SD cards in the market especially SanDisks. What I know about fake micro sds is that they get corrupted or come with bad sectors which make the device slow when accessing data. They could even be faulty and cause short circuit in phones (devices), which could cause the problems mentioned here. Advice: Try not to buy them online and find an official reseller. Also you can contact the manufacturer to check if your micro SD is original or fake. I have 2 SanDisk 32gb sds in L520 and 8s. They have been for a year and no problems till now. I bought them from an official reseller.
Do this at your own risk. Try putting a faulty SD or micro SD card in your laptop and see how it hang or gets slow, I even got to a point that when I rebooted my PC it did not get past the bios. This is very risky and could damage your device. The same goes to faulty flash drives .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss