Some about album's art in Xbox Music

Andrey Vityuk

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Good day.

As I understand, there are several topics on the actual problem that already have been started. But this one is different, because I have already receieved today's update of the application and also I have inspected that in another app (Nokia Radio Mix) there is no such poser. Simply in the 'native' Music Hub (Xbox Music) album's art doesn't show up.

In addition, I have already tried to use a PC programm from MS's web-site to sync my music, but it is in vain. You may take a look at the screenshot I have attached to the post.

GsbFA8O.jpg

What should I execute to solve the problem? Please notice that I am from Ukraine and here Xbox Music servise is unavailable.

Last edited:

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
What I did is a little radical but Xbox Music doesn't seem to have messed with my ID3 Tags for most albums (not all mind you).

I downloaded a small program to wipe my ID3 tags from all my MP3's and then used the free MP3Tags to retag them all. Then I did a hard reset and my whole music collection on my SD card seems to be recognized properly now except a couple of exceptions.

Yesterday's update seems to make it better though so maybe you don't have to do this. Last week, I made a correction in my ID3 tags and XBox Music didn't see it. Yesterday, after the update, I did more corrections on my tags and Xbox Music saw them. So maybe just copy all your music from the phone to your computer (manually not sync) and then open up Xbox Music so it sees that there's nothing (forcing it to clear its database). Then I would reboot just in case and once it's rebooted, put your music back (again manually not sync) and open up Xbox Music and let it Search for music. Once its done searching, open up your albums and see if it did anything good.

Andrey Vityuk

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded a small program to wipe my ID3 tags from all my MP3's and then used the free MP3Tags to retag them all.
Due to the reason that almost nobody in countries of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus pays for music, I do not have desire to be a black sheep. So, I am forced to use 'MP3Tag' anyway and I have been using it initially. Therefore, your piece of advice unfortunately is not helpful in this case.

The problem occurred after performing hard reset with Windows Phone 8.1 installed.
Above all, I have got Nokia Lumia 1020, if it would be helpful.

Last edited:

123gettothechopper

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
You can use Tag Editor, I use that for every song I download and add album art by saving the image from Bing and then adding it using the app. If you want the link I will give it to you or you can search it

unnatixlr8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Does this only happen on pirated music?
I've ripped several CDs from my collection and all tags and album art shows up just fine.

No man, all my music have been purchased on Nokia Mixradio. But some of them might be indie music. Though none of the album arts appear in Music app, but they just show up in Music Hub.

pahutakz

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I use tag editor and onemusic as my player and all my artwork works perfectly and also it is viewable in desktop I mean the artwork I edited on tag editor. Its cool right 😃

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Xbox Music does not read the ID3 tags correctly. Period. It will try to match it with data from Xbox Music, which is shoddy at best. I have the same problem with the Windows 8.1 Music app. The Windows 8.1 and WP 8.1 Music app will replace album art for some albums with the wrong one on both platforms for me, so I know it's related to Xbox Music and not my ID3 tags (went through all my music with Mp3tag and manually corrected all my music). I know Microsoft knows there are issues with Xbox Music, I just hope they fix them in a timely manner, otherwise it's things like this that will drive away users from the platform.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Xbox Music does not read the ID3 tags correctly. Period. It will try to match it with data from Xbox Music, which is shoddy at best. I have the same problem with the Windows 8.1 Music app. The Windows 8.1 and WP 8.1 Music app will replace album art for some albums with the wrong one on both platforms for me, so I know it's related to Xbox Music and not my ID3 tags (went through all my music with Mp3tag and manually corrected all my music). I know Microsoft knows there are issues with Xbox Music, I just hope they fix them in a timely manner, otherwise it's things like this that will drive away users from the platform.

I am still not convinced that is actually the case. Try putting the phone in airplane mode and see if that changes the album art- that way there is no way for the app to update the metadata. I think the app looks for album art in 2 different places. This was also the case with Zune. The art is either actually embedded into the music file or there was a jpg in the folder the music was in that is used as the album art. Often that file called "folder.jpg" was actually a hidden file. If you rip your music using Windows Media Player most likely they will have the album art as a folder.jpg file in the directory you ripped the music into and it may be a hidden file. Try deleting that file and use a program to actually embed album art into the file. I wonder if the app has issues if there is a folder.jpg file included with music that also has embedded art. All my music has embedded art and no jpgs in the music directories.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I am still not convinced that is actually the case. Try putting the phone in airplane mode and see if that changes the album art- that way there is no way for the app to update the metadata. I think the app looks for album art in 2 different places. This was also the case with Zune. The art is either actually embedded into the music file or there was a jpg in the folder the music was in that is used as the album art. Often that file called "folder.jpg" was actually a hidden file. If you rip your music using Windows Media Player most likely they will have the album art as a folder.jpg file in the directory you ripped the music into and it may be a hidden file. Try deleting that file and use a program to actually embed album art into the file. I wonder if the app has issues if there is a folder.jpg file included with music that also has embedded art. All my music has embedded art and no jpgs in the music directories.

I haven't done it with airplane mode on, but I've embedded the album art with the program Mp3tag, and my music info with album art shows up correctly in every single music app I've tired (Onemusic, GoMusic, Extreme Music, Nokia MixRadio, Music Pro) but doesn't in Xbox Music. I had also deleted the folder.jpg in those folders that had them.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I got my stuff working by using the old Windows Media Player to update my metadata and album art, then used it to sync my songs to my phone.

99% of my songs showed up correct on the first sync. Those who didn't, I deleted from inside XBM, waited to make sure they were really gone (not showing in XBM), then re- synced again with WMP. Now its all good.

The only quirk I've seen now, is that sometimes on the now playing screen, it takes a bit for XBM to show the album art. But not all the time. If I skip to the next song, then back, the album art shows up (I just noticed that yesterday).

I spent an entire day playing around with all the methods MS provides to copy songs to the phone, Windows Phone App, Desktop program, and file manager (via USB to micro SD card, or micro SD via card reader). The last ditch attempt was WMP, and it worked for me.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
For me, the album app shows up and then disappears... Why don't they just embrace Phillipe into the Microsoft fold and the developer of Moliplayer pro so we can have a Windows Media Player app. Or some kind of hub that plays both music and video files

pahutakz

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
What I did is I copy all my music to my pc then format sd card then copy back all the music then VIOLA! album arts recognized!!! 😃

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes