Whatsapp Viber Notifications Dint work for me 8.1

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Whatsapp and Viber notifications def don't work correctly for me on windows phone 8.1.

I had a Lumia 920 and u tired everything, soft restarts, hard restarts, reinstalling the app, checked different settings, nothing worked so I purchased a 925 with the same results.

I'm really dying with this as I use these two apps to communicate with everyone.

Other apps like 6snap, eBay etc seem to with fine.

Note that notifications do with briefly after a restart, but only briefly.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I use Viber on 8.1 and it works fine. Well, almost fine. I receive notifications, even if I turned them off in the app. I guess they will not appear if I will turn them off in the notification center.
So far, Viber was looking for beta testers for WP Viber app, so we will get an updated app (dunno how soon).
And btw, Joe Belfiore said the notifications in 8.1 work differently than 8.0.

I guess we need just to wait.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
What combination of wifi and data is on/off.

WP8.1 prefers data for notifications over wifi even if wifi is switched on. this means that if you have both data and wifi on, but you're data connection is a bit shaky, notifications may not come through. I know that when my data connection went down, I turned wifi on but it wasn't until I went into the settings and turned mobile data off that notifications came through.

They did it because notifications work better on the data connection than wifi. but just try out the different combinations (data on wifi off, wifi on data off, both on) and see if it makes any difference.

For me, notifications greatly improved in 8.1 to the point where they are instant for whatsapp all the time. This actually saved WP for me and persuaded me to stick with it. Delayed whatsapp notifications in wp8 was really annoying me.

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

WP8.1 prefers data for notifications over wifi even if wifi is switched on. this means that if you have both data and wifi on, but you're data connection is a bit shaky, notifications may not come through. I know that when my data connection went down, I turned wifi on but it wasn't until I went into the settings and turned mobile data off that notifications came through.

They did it because notifications work better on the data connection than wifi. but just try out the different combinations (data on wifi off, wifi on data off, both on) and see if it makes any difference.

For me, notifications greatly improved in 8.1 to the point where they are instant for whatsapp all the time. This actually saved WP for me and persuaded me to stick with it. Delayed whatsapp notifications in wp8 was really annoying me.

Thanks this might be useful and true. I've terrible reception where I live. I can hardly get 2g signal.

When I do have bars on my phone I think notifications work better

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

I'm inclined to disagree with the wifi/data part.
My carrier (Claro, from brazil) charges on pre-paid phones internet per day of use, and you receive a sms the second you first use internet. When home with wifi on, I'd get a sms notifying im being charged ONLY when leaving homethe next day, when wifi goes out of reach, even though data was also on.
This means data is automatically turned off when on wifi. Please note that the icon for data connection goes away when wifi is on,
Which is a really clever way of saving battery AND data.
I never had problems with notifications even with data turned off in settings or whichever the settings i set.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
see this video between 27:00 minutes and 30:00 minutes for how push notifications work on 8.1

sorry I can't post links! So go to the official build 2014 website (buildwindows) > View sessions > find "The New Windows Phone Application Model" video at 27 minutes. What a pain!

So to answer the question, if you have data turned on, but with poor signal, wp8.1 will still prefer this to deliver push notifications over wifi, even if wifi is turned on. The only way to get it to favour wifi is turn manually turn off mobile data in the mobile and sim settings. But they've done it that way because they think it works better and I'm inclined to agree.

Maybe you don't get notified about being charged because the amount of data used for push notifications is so tiny. Remember this is just the push channel, not live tile updates or any other background tasks.

shamrock1988

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
see this video between 27:00 minutes and 30:00 minutes for how push notifications work on 8.1

sorry I can't post links! So go to the official build 2014 website (buildwindows) > View sessions > find "The New Windows Phone Application Model" video at 27 minutes. What a pain!

So to answer the question, if you have data turned on, but with poor signal, wp8.1 will still prefer this to deliver push notifications over wifi, even if wifi is turned on. The only way to get it to favour wifi is turn manually turn off mobile data in the mobile and sim settings. But they've done it that way because they think it works better and I'm inclined to agree.

Maybe you don't get notified about being charged because the amount of data used for push notifications is so tiny. Remember this is just the push channel, not live tile updates or any other background tasks.
I wouldn't agree its better because of my situation lol

It would be an awkward way to organise notifications. I can't even have a quick shortcut to mobile data on the action centre.

Notifications for eBay and Facebook come through ok regardless. It's still only Viber and Whatsapp

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't agree its better because of my situation lol

It would be an awkward way to organise notifications. I can't even have a quick shortcut to mobile data on the action centre.

Notifications for eBay and Facebook come through ok regardless. It's still only Viber and Whatsapp

Hmm yeah I can understand that. Whatsapp has notoriously poor push notifications on WP especially when signal is weak. I guess the only thing you can hope for is that these developers implement proper and robust WNS push in their apps for wp8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro