windows phone 8.1 notifications centre

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Windows phone notification centre in windows 8.1 is a waste feature, because every notification is already showing in the live tile itself. It will be better if we get every app notifications shown on the lock screen itself, instead of selecting which app to show notification in lock screen. I would appreciate if Microsoft make changes.

Agreed, it's redundant. Even more so when you have notifications on the glance screen, notifications on the lock screen, and 3 columns to pin all your tiles.

I wish they would've expanded on the idea of using the lockscreen as a notification area instead of going for the unimaginative Andoird/iOS pull down shade. I do love the Action Center though with the quick toggles. I get way more use out of those than any notifications.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Why Microsoft can't put the data toggle in the action center? Is there any technical reason behind it or is Microsoft to lazy to put it there?

I think its more to do with the fact that carriers don't want to give people that option. If you turn on your data and there is no toggle in the action centre, you are less likely to turn it off.

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
But wp8.1 is in dev preview and that is the case only in USA and in my region(India) carriers don't have any control over what I choose to do with my phone. So I don't think your point is valid. Microsoft surely has something to do with it. Let's hope that it will be available in any future update. Such a small feature and they take years to implement it. This is what I hate about wp

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Implementation won't be difficult. The update is still in preview, so maybe the final release, or an upcoming gdr will implement this.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, it's redundant. Even more so when you have notifications on the glance screen, notifications on the lock screen, and 3 columns to pin all your tiles.

I wish they would've expanded on the idea of using the lockscreen as a notification area instead of going for the unimaginative Andoird/iOS pull down shade. I do love the Action Center though with the quick toggles. I get way more use out of those than any notifications.

Well that really depends on two things, doesn't it.

1. Whether you use more than 2 apps on your phone
And
2. Whether you use a Nokia Windows Phone

Some of us don't use a Nokia WP so Glance is out of the question and most of us use far more than 2 apps on our phones.

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
That's odd behavior... Single app notifications swipe clears (or clearing a single app notify) are definitely part of the notification center... maybe the notification you swiped is near the top where the "X clear all" is, and you hit that one? Curious....

~ScottGeek.

No! You just can swipe away one app.
If you have 15 emails, the 15 will go. But I want to swipe just ONE email.

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
qybyreru.png

Sent from my RM-885_eu_france_266 using Tapatalk

Joshhi

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Anyway not all Nokia phones are capable of using the Glance screen such as my 520 and the icon and until I upgrade I'm stuck with it. I also don't get why people don't like the notification panel I get much more detailed information about my notification from it than my live tiles even though I love them. This is because most of my tiles are small or medium.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Well that really depends on two things, doesn't it.

1. Whether you use more than 2 apps on your phone
And
2. Whether you use a Nokia Windows Phone

Some of us don't use a Nokia WP so Glance is out of the question and most of us use far more than 2 apps on our phones.

Your WP has a lock screen. It can display notifications from up to 5 different apps. Never had a problem finding notifications using 8.0.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, 5 different apps not ALL of them which is the exact reason why the Action Centre is needed.

They could've expanded 5 to infinite and made the notifications interactive. They had a good idea which was to show them on the lockscreen. All they needed was to expand upon it.

The Action Center was needed for the quick action toggles. The notification part is just a bonus.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
They could've expanded 5 to infinite and made the notifications interactive. They had a good idea which was to show them on the lockscreen. All they needed was to expand upon it.

The Action Center was needed for the quick action toggles. The notification part is just a bonus.

1. I'm sure interactive tiles will appear on WP.
2. What's the reason to have an infinite number of notifications on the lock screen? The lock screen itself provides a brief information, you should not get a ton of details on it, since it's much easier to get everything on the Action Center. And I'm sure that 99.99999% of WP users won't even need more than 5 apps to put on the lock screen to see the notifications.
3. Notification part is NOT a bonus, it's the awesome thing. Don't know how it's made on Android, but on iOS you need to swipe from the bottom to get toggles and from the top to see the notifications.

I don't even know what would I miss in the Action Center (I guess someone will say "Arrgh give us the mobile data toggle").

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Windows phone notification centre in windows 8.1 is a waste feature, because every notification is already showing in the live tile itself. It will be better if we get every app notifications shown on the lock screen itself, instead of selecting which app to show notification in lock screen. I would appreciate if Microsoft make changes.

Showing every app notification on the lock screen would look horrible.
I'm also confused with people saying the notification center is pointless... If anything it's exactly what we need. iOS has icon badges and a notification center and Android has the ability for both as well. (With android this is possible with custom launchers, and maybe other tweaks OEM's use).

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Kinda disappointed that it was like IOs and android when WP is so different in every other way

Very true. IMO I think they took the safe route instead of trying something unique because they feel it will appeal to more users who are familiar with IOS and Android.

Joshhi

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Very true. IMO I think they took the safe route instead of trying something unique because they feel it will appeal to more users who are familiar with IOS and Android.

Yeah what they don't get is that people don't want an IOS clone they use WP because it's different. That is the reason the WP fan base is growing and others like Ubuntu phone, sailfish os and Firefox os don't grow, they are just like IOS and android. Unfortunately Microsoft is steering WP uncomfortably close to the average smart phone os in order to appeal to their users. Why get something like IOS when you can have IOS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes